Mental Health Forums

Peer Support

Joshua

Hi

Im looking for some more people to be around on live support (The peer support section) If anyone is okay to volunteer please get in touch.

Its basically just someone there to chat to in times of being lonely, sad.

There are some rules like no sharing your own stuff or giving out personal info or being on their when drinking etc other than that its advertised as a peer support service.

I would be too, would like to help out more, having problems with my paypal hence why i am not a sponsor at the moment so maybe i could help in another way and once paypal is sorted of course i will keep up my sponsorship.

Can I ask a couple of questions? If no use to me they might be of interest to others.

1. Is there a minimum number of hours a week that you must commit to the role?

2. Do you have to identify yourself? Does the person (being supported) know which forum user is supporting them?

Can I ask a couple of questions? If no use to me they might be of interest to others.

1. Is there a minimum number of hours a week that you must commit to the role? No

2. Do you have to identify yourself? Does the person (being supported) know which forum user is supporting them? You can pick a random name but you must be known as something.

i think we should def know who we are talking to as we all have people we would not feel comfortable talking to - and if that was being concealed by the use of dif names then it would all feel very unsafe

to me

anyway

i think we should def know who we are talking to as we all have people we would not feel comfortable talking to - and if that was being concealed by the use of dif names then it would all feel very unsafe

to me

anyway

But does anyone know who anyone is on the internet anyway?

When i used to do live support, we used our first names. I found it helpfull actually knowing when before i had a first true name, not a callsign but the person was real and the name was correct. The whole point to me, if u are interested in doing live support is ur ability to be able to use ur name and be seen as honest. The only way a person here who would know ur first name is down to u actually telling people.

In the early days when i did it, most knew my name and my callsign, and it didnt change what i was there to do.

Anyway, just thought give my pennyworth.

xx

Sry just reread what josh said,i guess things is new now.

Will make a point though, when u phone a life line, even if they say there name, u dont actually know who they are or if the name fits. The most inportant thing i guess is u receiving the support. So ho hum, not sure what i think as ive done it, and i had no problem or any reflection on me being a live supporter.

Edited by Barbones

im up for, practicually spend my life on here anyway! Would like to think I have a good listening ear and able to offer DBT support if the person wanted it.

xxx

• Like 2

Hi we would like to ask all the relatively new members to apply again when theve been here longer and have posted more so we know them better......

Lilly

The reputation feature isn't infallible, nor is it completely accurate. It has been abused in the past and Data has been subjected to that abuse, it would seem, because of people who have personal issues with him being petty and childish. Read through his posts, they're inundated with advice, help and support. He is consistent and reliable and has offered a helping hand to many of us here. He will be a fantastic Peer Supporter, bad rep points or no.

• Like 2

Read through his posts, they're inundated with advice, help and support. He is consistent and reliable and has offered a helping hand to many of us here. He will be a fantastic Peer Supporter, bad rep points or no.

I am overwhelmed!

Thanks for the support, it means so much to me.

• Like 1