Mental Health Forums

Need Dbt Advice/help?

Jinxsta

Hi,

Just wanted to say if anyone has any questions or worries about DBT please feel free to ask me, whether it be about the treatment in general, or help understanding the skills or homework, im happy to advise the best i can.

I've just completed 2years worth and got my certificate in it, I was told by the therapists that my interlectual understanding of it couldn't be better and I in there words "am able to teach this stuff"... other service users also commented how they found my support and input very helpful.... one asking if i could be her therapist lol.

Sorry sound like im blowing my own trumpet, but just trying to show why i have the confidence to offer my advice in this area.

xxx

Hi,

Just wanted to say if anyone has any questions or worries about DBT please feel free to ask me, whether it be about the treatment in general, or help understanding the skills or homework, im happy to advise the best i can.

I've just completed 2years worth and got my certificate in it, I was told by the therapists that my interlectual understanding of it couldn't be better and I in there words "am able to teach this stuff"... other service users also commented how they found my support and input very helpful.... one asking if i could be her therapist lol.

Sorry sound like im blowing my own trumpet, but just trying to show why i have the confidence to offer my advice in this area.

xxx

To find your own niche must be very elating?............good luck with that career if you choose that path!!

Txx

Hi,

xxx

To find your own niche must be very elating?............good luck with that career if you choose that path!!

Txx

hmmm not quite elating lol... studying for a degree in psychology so i guess that is my path... well hopefully.. would love to be on the other side of the desk.

xxx

Dear Jinx,

I started DBT yesterday and I am wondering if it is the best for me or whether I should do CBT instead. I just couldn't relate to what was going on in the group therapy. We learnt all about the wise mind, the rational mind and the emotional mind and how you would react in a situation where say, you went to an appointment and the doctor cancelled it without letting you know or your friend constantly rocks up late what would you do? I know these skills are helpful but I don't think I have problems in those areas of my life. For example, we talked about being assertive rather than aggressive and telling the receptionist "I feel angry that I was not told of the appointment" and to think of reasons as to what happened for a cancellation to occur, such as an unavoidable emergency.

What I am trying to say is that I think I have a mood disorder that is not caused by external events and is not reactionary to anything. I am just severely unmotivated, low mood and low energy atm and I don't know if DBT is going to get me out of my depression.

What do you think, I know it can't harm me but I don't think it could help me either.

You know you can do that , hell,!! that's the easy part right?, I was trying to allude to the inner demons...........they can only win,i f they are allowed to, and I so want you to kick their arses into touch.............................having trouble??......just show them a picture of me!!, even the Devil recoils at my image, such is my beauty!!!!! :):) :)

Dear Jinx,

I started DBT yesterday and I am wondering if it is the best for me or whether I should do CBT instead. I just couldn't relate to what was going on in the group therapy. We learnt all about the wise mind, the rational mind and the emotional mind and how you would react in a situation where say, you went to an appointment and the doctor cancelled it without letting you know or your friend constantly rocks up late what would you do? I know these skills are helpful but I don't think I have problems in those areas of my life. For example, we talked about being assertive rather than aggressive and telling the receptionist "I feel angry that I was not told of the appointment" and to think of reasons as to what happened for a cancellation to occur, such as an unavoidable emergency.

What I am trying to say is that I think I have a mood disorder that is not caused by external events and is not reactionary to anything. I am just severely unmotivated, low mood and low energy atm and I don't know if DBT is going to get me out of my depression.

What do you think, I know it can't harm me but I don't think it could help me either.

Hi Icu,

Firstly I dont think anyone relates when they first start, in fact i think i came out every week for the first few months thinking "what a load of shit!!! how the fuck is that going to help me?" and i would say 100% of people ive seen come and go also thought the same and expressed it.. so your not alone in those feelings.

Its seems the example they used with wise-mind would be someone acting outwardlly, but can you think of a situation personal to you where using wise-mind could be useful? it doesn't need to even be a situation that involves others, it could be something like an irrational fear or intrusive thought. Do you find you suffer the black and white thinking symptom? because wise mind is really finding the grey area to a situation. For example I have a fear of terrorists, if i hear banging noises at night i get myself worked up full steam in emotional mind.. i then recognize that (because i now know what it is now).. i then use the wise-mind circles, jotting down my emotional mind, then searching amongst my rational mind, then looking at the two and finding that grey bit, my wise mind.. I then see things alot clearer.

Are you on any medication for your mood? does sound like depression... I DO think DBT will help with it (its being used on many mental illnesses now, not just BPD) the only thing you need to be motivated for is to feel better, if you keep that motivation for change and stay commited to DBT you will learn skills that will help you to feel better, esp in the emotion regulation module... also the mindfullness being aware of your mood, accepting it, yet not letting it drag you under,also skills like opposite to emotion action are great when you are suffering low mood.

All the skills will come in time, eventhough some may not make sense or seem way-out, some you may feel you use naturally (these are usually the ones you feel dont apply to yourself), and some just may not work for you. But you need to trial and error to find out what works for you and what doesnt, some may work at sometimes but not at others.

Kind of like you need to pick what your going to wear in the morning by what the weather is like.

Hope this helps so far

xxx

You know you can do that , hell,!! that's the easy part right?, I was trying to allude to the inner demons...........they can only win,i f they are allowed to, and I so want you to kick their arses into touch.............................having trouble??......just show them a picture of me!!, even the Devil recoils at my image, such is my beauty!!!!! :):):)

LMAO

Fighting demons all day long.

xxx

Dear Jinx,

Hi Icu,

Firstly I dont think anyone relates when they first start, in fact i think i came out every week for the first few months thinking "what a load of shit!!! how the fuck is that going to help me?" and i would say 100% of people ive seen come and go also thought the same and expressed it.. so your not alone in those feelings.

Its seems the example they used with wise-mind would be someone acting outwardlly, but can you think of a situation personal to you where using wise-mind could be useful? it doesn't need to even be a situation that involves others, it could be something like an irrational fear or intrusive thought. Do you find you suffer the black and white thinking symptom? because wise mind is really finding the grey area to a situation. For example I have a fear of terrorists, if i hear banging noises at night i get myself worked up full steam in emotional mind.. i then recognize that (because i now know what it is now).. i then use the wise-mind circles, jotting down my emotional mind, then searching amongst my rational mind, then looking at the two and finding that grey bit, my wise mind.. I then see things alot clearer.

Are you on any medication for your mood? does sound like depression... I DO think DBT will help with it (its being used on many mental illnesses now, not just BPD) the only thing you need to be motivated for is to feel better, if you keep that motivation for change and stay commited to DBT you will learn skills that will help you to feel better, esp in the emotion regulation module... also the mindfullness being aware of your mood, accepting it, yet not letting it drag you under,also skills like opposite to emotion action are great when you are suffering low mood.

All the skills will come in time, eventhough some may not make sense or seem way-out, some you may feel you use naturally (these are usually the ones you feel dont apply to yourself), and some just may not work for you. But you need to trial and error to find out what works for you and what doesnt, some may work at sometimes but not at others.

Kind of like you need to pick what your going to wear in the morning by what the weather is like.

Hope this helps so far

xxx

Hi Jinx, thanks for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it. I guess I should keep an open mind about it. I learnt that it could help other illnesses as well but that has not been substantiated as of yet. I am on medication for my mood but they seem to be less effective in working now for some reason. I will continue to give it a go but I think that 2.5 hours of group therapy is just too much for me.

Hi guys,

I removed a duplicate post out of the way :)

I think Jinxsta said it all very well. Can't really add to that.

With your moods, I know right now you have a lot on your plate with graduation, work experience, new DBT class etc etc. so it could well be that normal circumstances are effecting your mood. it could also be meds. I'd ask for a med review with your GP or T.

later on in DBT you will learn a skill called "Chaining" which will help you nut out what is causing things to be the way they are, and help you use wise mind to intervene the next time it happens. Briefly though, you could simplify this by just listing the things that are on your plate right now, recognizing that it's a lot to take on and seeing where some of the distress is obviously coming from. After you do that, you can list things that will help, such as good diet, right amount of excercise, plenty of sleep, self talk and being your own cheer leader, taking meds on time, discussing with your T, talking on here... anything that helps. Kind of helps put the focus on your coping strategies and also helps you see that it's not that abnormal to feel this way given all that you are facing.

Must go, off to see the doc about this blasted cold!

Take care all

WP

Just came across this article and thought it may be helpful to others;

6 Things You Can Expect From Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)

By Christy Matta, MA

DBT is becoming more commonly available. With its spread, more people are referred to DBT therapists and groups and are considering entering DBT treatment. But what is it? If you enter treatment, what you can expect? How will your therapist respond to you? What will be the focus of the treatment?

There are three primary treatment activities in DBT. These are individual therapy, group skills training and coaching in crisis situations. Individual therapy and the skills training group usually meet each week, while coaching in crisis occurs as necessary. Each of these 3 activities has specific goals and structure, which are usually explained to you at the beginning of treatment. Regardless of whether it’s individual, group or a crisis, DBT treatment is comprised of the following 6 characteristics.

1.DBT is supportive. The treatment providers support you in your attempts to decrease problem behaviors, such as self-destructive behaviors, substance use and aggression. They help you recognize positive strengths and attributes and encourage you to develop and use these.

2.DBT is behavioral. The skills group and therapy sessions focus on teaching you to analyze problem behavior patterns and to replace destructive behavior with healthy and effective behavior.

3.DBT is cognitive. The therapy and group focus on changing beliefs, expectations, and assumptions that are no longer effective or helpful. The therapist will help you notice and challenge all or nothing thinking and tendencies to be over judgmental.

4.DBT is skill oriented. Structured skill training is designed to teach new skills and enhance capabilities.

5.DBT balances acceptance and change. The treatment is focused on both accepting you and the difficulties of your current situation as well as helping you to make changes. It has specific strategies designed to increase your ability to accept and tolerate painful feelings, your current life situation, and yourself. It will also expect you to learn new skills, try different ways of behaving and interacting with others and be committed to making changes.

6.DBT requires a collaborative relationship. In DBT it is important that you and your therapist function as a team to achieve goals. It is essential that all team members (i.e. you, therapist, groups therapist, psychiatrist etc.) work on their communication and collaboration to make progress

xxx

Nice article Jinx, but I refuse to believe that I have problem behaviors and the only thing I want to change about me is to get out of a low mood and feel passion for life like I used to and lose weight.

hi jinxsta

in found it inspiring to read about how well your doing and certainly dont think your blowing your own trumpet, you should be proud of what you have achieved because it cant have been easy.

Im in my 6th month of dbt and we our just about to start from the beginning for the second time, can you recommend anything that helped you to learn the skills. read alot about it and try to practicing them when i can but am at a low point at the moment and am starting to lose a bit of faith. please help x

hi jinxsta

in found it inspiring to read about how well your doing and certainly dont think your blowing your own trumpet, you should be proud of what you have achieved because it cant have been easy.

Im in my 6th month of dbt and we our just about to start from the beginning for the second time, can you recommend anything that helped you to learn the skills. read alot about it and try to practicing them when i can but am at a low point at the moment and am starting to lose a bit of faith. please help x

Hello,

What helped me learn them theory wise, was putting them into my own words, and asking lots of questions, i often found I could "get" what they were saying but couldn't see how the skill/s would be helpful, so I would say so, for example take "one mindfully in the moment" they would use the example of doing it with a cup of tea, i guess you know the spill; "feel the warmth of the cup in your hands, smell the tea, see the steam :blahblah1: "

I would throw back an example at them "ok, im in floods of tears, can't stop crying because i've just had an argument with my mum and smelling tea is going help me???" they would then explain it better, then i would translate that to something that would be effective for me EG: I love my music so instead of being mindfull with tea I would put on some banging music and be at one with that.

My biggest downfall in not being able to use the skills quicker is I assumed that these "skills" were going to magically take the pain away, make me feel at least 70% better... but the truth is they wont, also I would try a skill out and if it didnt work i would think "well its all a load of bollocks, none of it works whats the point?" but not every skill will work for you and if one skill works in one situation it doesnt mean its going to work in another. The key thing to remember is the skills WILL NOT and are not intended to take the pain away, most of them buy you time, time to reflect, time to figure out what is really going on around you and what is inside your head, then the next stage is how you cope.. by not doing your target behaviours.

The most important skill to master and in my opinion the hardest is mindfullness, if you can get a grip on that, the rest of the skills pretty much fall into place... practise it often, even just 5minutes everyday. If you find it too hard when you are in distress, do it when you are not in great distress.. build your confidence up, then try when your in a little distress and so on. Just remember that all mindfullness means is awareness and we all have it in us naturally we just gotta cultivate it.

So, this time round if you dont get something, say so or ask if they can put it in a different way.. give them examples from your own experiences, if you don't agree with something say so... i often thought the skills contradicted eachother and would point it out, and they would then explain it more clear.

Oh and the amount of times i lost faith i couldnt keep count of.. think i quit about 6 times... only to be talked into going back.. but glad i did. Believe in yourself and dont expect miracles, even if something makes u feel only 10% better, it better than nothing. :)

Hope this helps

xxx

Archived