Mental Health Forums

Has Anyone Here Had Depression All Their Life ?

Quietman

pretty much i guess....

if u mean cycles of depression and taking meds and getting stable and then going down again, taking meds and getting stable and then going down again.... rinse and repeat....

breaking the cycle for me was tackling the underlying reasons behind the depression... which i have been doing with a therapist... fucking hard work, but getting there...

have yuo tried that, is it something you think you could try... you dont give much away, sorry if you have posted more somewhere before...

I was a happy enough, but always sensitive child when growing up. Then around the age of 13 I suffered a nervous breakdown after a period of bullying at school. Since then I've suffered on and off with depression, as well as other issues. I've had periods of genuine happiness in my life in recent years, but alas I always appear to end up back being lonely and depressed.

I so hope one day I can break the cycle for good. :)

WARNING TO DEPRESSION SUFFERERS - TRIGGER

At the moment, my depression is so bad, I feel like I cannot get out of bed.

I am missing important appointments as I am cancelling them.

I am wondering if I am scared to get out of bed, in case I purposely hurt myself.

I cannot bear to be awake for long.

My medication enables me to snooze enough to escape my thoughts, but if I have to be awake all day, it does not sedate me but eases my anxiety a little bit, but not enough to make me feel better.

I am addicted to tranquilisers and was on 15mg valium a day, around this time last year. I am now on 8.5mg a day as I have been reducing slowly.

I have sui thoughts but wont act on them because of what it will do to others, also I believe in afterlife, and if I sui, then someone in my life will sui and I will feel bad guilt.

Thank you for reading.

I've been depressed for so long that any time I feel happy, I don't feel real; like happiness just doesn't exist and I'm doomed to wallow in the muds of loneliness and depression for the rest of my days and that any ray of light that comes my way is an illusion fabricated by my egotistic sense that I deserve something to go right, even though I don't.

Hi Quietman, Welcome to site, Yeh pretty much so, although when younger suppose you don’t really know what it is just a weird feeling that you know you’re not right.. Bad times, coping times, nightmare times, coping times (with help) breakdowns, just continues really up n down. It seems to me that when you get older you can really try and start to deal with it e.g past issues then you get depressed going through it all again and you look back on your life thinking are right that’s why i did that, it was a coping mechanism, you try and be so aware of how your feeling constantly and ongoing understanding. So you`ve just got to make the best of your better days really......... Take Care, Kind Regards JC

It feels like it, certainly from my teens anyway. It never seems to go away fully just at times i cope better but i've had some happy times throughout. I've always been a bit of an outsider and not had many friends, for as long as i can remember.

:rolleyes:yesi am suffering aswell since age 20 on and off this is like my 4 th depression ..and we are sensitive,clever so much thinking thats why it finds us..but we are going to beat this no matter..we are strong..sometimes it feels like impossible everymorning we are going to through..but i am believing deep inside we will get up one morning strong and bright

At the moment, my depression is so bad, I feel like I cannot get out of bed.

I am missing important appointments as I am cancelling them.

I am wondering if I am scared to get out of bed, in case I purposely hurt myself.

I cannot bear to be awake for long.

My medication enables me to snooze enough to escape my thoughts, but if I have to be awake all day, it does not sedate me but eases my anxiety a little bit, but not enough to make me feel better.

I am addicted to tranquilisers and was on 15mg valium a day, around this time last year. I am now on 8.5mg a day as I have been reducing slowly.

I have sui thoughts but wont act on them because of what it will do to others, also I believe in afterlife, and if I sui, then someone in my life will sui and I will feel bad guilt.

Thank you for reading.

Successful, this is exactly how I am feeling at the moment. I am so depressed I can't get out of bed and when I do I want to climb back in it. I force myself to go to work experience and to college but I am always exhausted. I don't know if I have chronic fatigue syndrome or depression. I am on a whole lot of medication which make me sleepy. I sleep 13 hours a day. I use sleep as an escape from my suffering too. I don't know how long it will last but it is pure hell.

yup.

I was a 'problem child' but weirdly enough was on a pretty even keel for about 5/6 years as i became a teenager. then it went to pot and things have been sliding downhill sincehitting about 16, I'm 32 now, and ... all this talking about my self is making me uncomfortable.

you're not alone! don't stress about 'getting better', what you will get is better at dealing with it. not everyday, just hold on until the next day.

hope you (all) are having a better day. here's a picture to make my post worthwhile

22_bionicarm_wrong.jpg

yeah, i must have even had it as a child since my brother was born 3 years after me. and tbh i reakon i will b depressed til the day i die.

the doctor that is on this morning (those who live in uk) he sed that he has been on antidepressents for years and once u start takin them u will never be able 2 break the cycle and come off them?? n thats a doctor?? x

Yeah, and until recently, not even in cycles of feeling better for a bit, then worse. Just felt depressed every day, even when I was very young. The last year or so has been easier, still get depressed, but it definitely comes and goes a lot more, which is a massive relief to me (I'm 27).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was depressed, as to the age of 10 years or more. I had years and years of pills, doctors, hospitals and psychiatric misdiagnosis. Nothing helped. I have 22 now and I feel more depressed. As for how I won, I think only time he did. I just got sick of living with a shadow over my head. I stopped all my medications when I was about 17/18 and stopped going to doctors, and I am much less depressed, finally, to the point that I was not at all.

Archived