Mental Health Forums

My Hatred Of Dbt

lilybilly

Hi there

For the guys that are feeling very strongly about their therapy / therapists, have you voiced these feelings about it? IMO feelings about therapy or the person doing it are actually PART of therapy, and should be handled by the therapist with tact and empathy. But in order for them to be dealt with, they need to be voiced. I know I found it almost impossible to say what I really felt with my T at first, and with things like feeling angry I still find it extremely difficult. But every time I have said what I am feeling, it has lead to a better outcome than just ignoring it.

Ross

Very good point Ross :)

--------------------------------------

I've just started DBT myself, and i do slightly find some of the mindfullness a bit hippy and strange so far. But that's only because it's alien to me.

I asked my Therapist the other day (who is the head of psychology @ my hospital)....

Me: As an experienced Psychologist, what were your thoughts about DBT when you first started learning and training in it, honestly?

Therapist: Well, there are many elements in DBT that we have been using in therapy for quite some time. But when it came down to the mindfullness aspect, a lot of us thought that it was quite strange and a bit hippy and wondered if it was going to work. But as we practiced it ourselves and then taught our clients, we found that it was indeed a very useful and helpful skill to have.

Which made me think, if she can get past that first initial response to mindfullness, then i can too.

Aurora :)

Hi everyone,

I hope this makes some sense, but I just wanted to share my experience of DBT, which is a good one! I've been doing it for 5 months now, but can already see improvements in myself and feel a lot better for doing it.

I'm not going to lie and say it's all positive though because it isn't and yes, it's really hard, can be extremely frustrating and piss me right off! I have had times where the skills haven't helped and I've given up, but I've been able to work through those times with my therapist, which is a big step for me and something I wouldn't previously have done.

Hold on to your smallest successes and achievements and remember that you're trying to improve yourself, please don't give up!

Den x

I want the courage to leave but they are like you fought so hard to get into there in the first place and its a hard course to get into etc...they are making me feel guilty for wanting to leave the stupid course.

Icu_baby if you have given it a good try and you are not getting anything out of it, then just leave but maybe talk to your pdoc first. MY DBT was to do with taking diazepam, so it was all how much have you taken, do you need to take it, what could you do rather than taking it. So it never focused on why I was taking it. I just got fed up and voiced my concern and the guy running it was alright with me. Just be honest that its not helping and speak to the person running it in private they are meant to be helping you not putting more stress or pressure on you. It's a really difficult because you want to get better but I (and maybe you) can't see things getting better. Do you have an advocate? If you don't have one get one from MIND they are really good at listening and then they can help you talk to people, I would be lost without mine. She kind of chips in when I need her to do so, so at least its not me against the system by myself.

• 2 weeks later...

can totally relate to what your saying about dbt, that exactly how i felt when i first started. i was petrefied about having to talk and sit with a group of people and learn something that seemed completely alien to me. the first few weeks i hated it and dreaded going and when they spoke about washing up mindfully i wondered what bloody planet they were on and how on earth was that going make me feel any better. but i persevered with it and am now six months in and am really enjoying the groups and the skills are now beginning to make sense and help. so try and stick with it hopefully it will get better for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

DBT drove me mad. I didn't get it and when I left each week I would just try to forget about it and get on with my life. Homework was rubbish and being mindfull? Jeeez the whole thing did my head in that I gave it up after about 5 months.

Archived