Mental Health Forums

Dental Health And Mood Disorder Medications

snowman

I have just been told by my dentist that my dental health has significantly deteriorated over the past 6 months.

In this time I have had a major nervous breakdown leading to a severe depressive episode.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas to help me....

Obviously I havent been that bothered about self care and this is a factor as is the comfort eating that I have been doing.

Also the meds make my mouth soooooo dry and that can't help IMO.

I know I should brush my teeth reg and not eat the crap but has anyone had any other advice from their dentist eg good mouthwashes to use for dry mouth etc.

My dental health has significantly deteriorated since my diagnosis 2 years ago. I am a smoker, which is a factor, but I have been for years and my teeth and gums have been fine. So, like you I have put this down to meds and lack of good oral hygeine. I haven't solved the dry mouth problem, except to drink loads of water, but Corsodyl mouthwash is the most effective mouthwash for preventing gum disease. Also I use the little interdental brushes, rather than floss.

Sorry I cant be of more help, but it would be interesting to see if others have experienced this deterioration in their teeth as a result of meds.

Thanks kalico. I was going to try corsodyl as I have looked it all up and I found this was a suggestion. There does seem to be a link between dental health and meds albeit some of it down to lack of self care and I know today my dentist didnt get the seriousness of how depression makes you neglect yourself but I do wonder if others have found a similar thing and have any suggestions.

Hi snowman

I've had the same problem but I've got a good dentist, she understands how the depression affects me and prescribed a mouthwash for me - maybe you could ask them about this. I feel so awful that I can't even clean my teeth at times, it just seems like just too much hard work but a mouthwash doesn't seem so bad to have to do.

If you can't get a script from your dentist then I agree with Kalico in that Corsodyl is the best off-the-shelf mouthwash you can buy.

Love CM xxxx

ps we need a dentist emoticon now!!!!

pps lots of water for the dry mouth xxx

I know that for maybe a year and half because I suffering a case of self-neglect, I ended up losing a tooth and with infection after infection.

Tips: how about sugar free chewing gum with xylitol in it? Also agreeing with Corsodyl idea, its quite strongly medicated. If you can't brush your teeth one night then maybe just rinse out with that?

corsodyl is really good for your gums,

its available on prescription.flossing your teeth will really

improve your dental health though its a pain in the arse.

there is a mouthwash available called biotene specially for a dry mouth.it also comes in a

gel and chewing gum too.they are available on prescription if your dentist will prescribe them...if not i'll be happy to send you

some(i wrk in a pharmacy)...just pm me and let me know xx

same as other posters im afraid... self neglect made me neglect everything.... teeth included. I try and brush my teeth every day, sometimes i go OCD on it (like many things also) other times I don't bother but I know I must maintain good health in lots of ways so it's all part of it.

Smoking more as a result of being severley depressed didn't help.

xxxxx

• 2 years later...

Hi esme, there was a shill poster who dragged up these threads on dental health,

and now the posts have been deleted & i look like an idiot arguing with nobody.

xx am

Archived