Mental Health Forums

Panic Attack Made My Hands Curl Up

nibblet2010

I had a really bad panic attack yesterday and ended up being sent to the psych ward for the day till they said I was better. I've had panic attacks before where it's hyperventilating/tight feeling in chest/ tingling feeling etc. but this one was different. It really freaked me out, my hands curled up and wouldn't move, one side of my face and my eyes kept twitching really badly and my back kept making these twisty movements. I was told all the extreme stress I've been under lately has taken its toll and is manifesting via physical symptoms. I was signing on at the Job Centre this morning and couldn't sign a piece of paper because my hands seized up again. It's really painful and keeps happening at random moments, I even wake up from sleep with it happening sometimes. I'm considering making an appointment with my GP to see if there's anything he can do. I can't keep going about with messed up hands.

Has anyone else had this happen to them/have any suggestions about what to do about it? :unsure:

Hi Nibblet

I've experienced the other symptoms that you've talked about but not the hands and twitches etc. I would go to see your GP to get checked over. I'm guessing but he might be able to give you a muscle relaxant or something for when this happens. It sounds horrible for you but I hoped you can get it sorted out. xxx

the secret to over coming a panic attack is in your breathing. Basically the symptoms you feel are a result of over breathing. All the tingling and other symptoms are a result of too much oxygen and lack of CO2.

So, start by just noticing your breathing. If you're in the middle of a panic attack it will be shallow and rapid. So start by controlling that. Count as youy breathe in, in two three four, out two three four. Make the in and the out the same length. Then once you get it stable, start increasing the numbers. In two three four five, out two three four five. In two three four five six, out two three four five six.

Practice this when your not having a panic attack so that it comes more naturally when you are having one.

Can also try the old breathing into a paper bag bit.

Good idea to see the GP too. They may have some other idea's to help you.

WP

I have had this happen before its very scarey, but it is due to your breathing and not getting enuf oxygen.... my hands once bent and were stuck, my gp rushed round cos im asthmatic and thought it was due to asthma attack but once they came round and saw me they realised it was a panick attack... the dr told my family if it happened again just get me to breathe in a paper bag !! (dont know why they always say a paper bag, whats wrong with a plastic one lol)

Ive had the hands thing, i think its because where your in a panic you tense up, then you get cramp... eyes twitching classic stress symptom and of course your gonna be stressed during and after a panic attack.

xxx

Archived