Mental Health Forums

An Analogy My T Shared With Me Today

mjk

Been having email contact with my T today, cos not in a good place, and he shared this analogy with me. I hope you find it helpful.........

I was just thinking about a little analogy of coal miners (not sure why). I was imagining that, those guys who used to go down the pits, they were pretty tough guys weren't they. Strong too i imagine, and i wouldn't have thought anyone would have called one of them weak. So, they go down the mines and work really hard, cutting and digging out the coal. It takes all of their concentration and focus. They can't really chat, or get on with anything else. All of their focus is there. And at the end of it they are shattered, possibly feeling weak and exhausted. And then, the next day they do it again. At some points i would imagine many might think, i can't do this any more, i don't have the strength to go on. But i guess, mostly they do. But you would easily be able to look at one of them and see their physical strength. But the mine takes up most of it. They may occasionally feel that they want to quit..well that is not because they are weak or not trying. It is just extremely hard work. Imagine if they did a job that hard, every day, and nobody knew? If they got home each day and people thought they had been resting all day, couldn't see what they had been doing! Then think about picking away at the pit face of depression. who sees the effort that takes? :-)

too bloody right

when u sit all day trying to find ways through, trying to make links, trying to work it out

and some bastard (usually hub - or them in head) comes along and says you've done nothing all day

i bet they said the same to the great philosophers and thinkers throughout history

'come on Mr Wittgenstein, stop reading the dictionary, get a 'real' job and do the washing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

I can relate.

I suppose to some, it looks like I do nothing all day long, however the truth is I was busy.

Busy doing what?

SURVIVING!!!!

Surviving life is just like doing work in the mines. And at the end of the day... I'm dog tired.

That is also my answer when I run into people from my past... they always ask... "So, Nina, what have you been up to all these years" My answer? SURVIVING. And it's hard damn work too!!!!! I may not be famous or successful or a scholar but I've made it this long.

Love and Light,

Nina

Archived