Mental Health Forums

Rep System Misuse

*Summer*

I wasn't saying we would go on a banning spree, I just meant that would be the only completely sure-fire way of stopping it, hence why it's impossible for us to stop it completely because such drastic measures are out of the question.

I'm all for discussion though. :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you can see the topic is for discussion not for you to repeatedly quote the rules, suggest far out ways of avoiding the entire situation or then suggesting the situation doesn't exist! :rolleyes:

In other words there's not much "point" negging a rule because it's not like a personal post, but if we are negging (or possing) anything else don't brag about it?

If these guidelines are observed will anybody be perturbed if some people neg a post and some people pos the same post?

Does it dilute the value of the feature if some members don't tend to use it when others do tend to?

Or - is the value to the user of the feature rather than the recipient or other readers (like an opportunity to do an exercise)

So you can see the topic is for discussion not for you to repeatedly quote the rules, suggest far out ways of avoiding the entire situation or then suggesting the situation doesn't exist! :rolleyes:

I did not say the situation doesn't exist, because I know all too well that it does. I have no idea how you inferred that meaning but hopefully you'll believe me when I say I did not mean that in the slightest. All I meant was that there is no way for us staff to stop the situation (except the ludicrous notion of banning perpetrators, which I used as an example to show how we could not prevent it completely). I only "repeatedly quoted the rules" because I had assumed that something needed clarified, which is what I did (well, tried to, it mustn't have worked).

I did not say the situation doesn't exist, because I know all too well that it does. I have no idea how you inferred that meaning but hopefully you'll believe me when I say I did not mean that in the slightest. All I meant was that there is no way for us staff to stop the situation (except the ludicrous notion of banning perpetrators, which I used as an example to show how we could not prevent it completely). I only "repeatedly quoted the rules" because I had assumed that something needed clarified, which is what I did (well, tried to, it mustn't have worked).

Read what I wrote in response to Lilly in the first page of this thread. I swear if you had done this in the first place half of this discussion would not have occurred.

I have already told you that I have read the entire thread, though I don't see its relevance to my above post because I was only clarifying for you something I had said, not something you said.

Then you would have read that I agreed it could not be enforced but as members we should be aware, so you would understand that quoting rules at me was even more futile than when you usually do it to members as I had acknowledged the point and where the responsibility lies.

I was only doing that to further reinforce the point, for other members and not you alone. If you found it patronising, I'm sorry, I had not intended it as such. The only point I made to you in which I quoted the rules for clarification was that CWP was not abusing the system.

Lilly says;

However if one repetedly misuses the system and it comes to our attention we do ask questions and if needed take action.

You say;

While we do everything we can, there is only so much that actually can be done. People will do what they please, so unless we went on some kind of banning spree, the problem is going to reoccur so long as people continue to abuse the system and ignore the guidelines.

Am i missing something here?

xxx

I was only doing that to further reinforce the point, for other members and not you alone. If you found it patronising, I'm sorry, I had not intended it as such. Though the only point I made was that CWP was not abusing the system.

In your words he was "Misusing the system", if he does it again and again, then he is abusing the system. I suggest as a mod you warn him about this and explain how the system works, misuse can quickly become abuse.

Lilly says;

However if one repetedly misuses the system and it comes to our attention we do ask questions and if needed take action.

You say;

While we do everything we can, there is only so much that actually can be done. People will do what they please, so unless we went on some kind of banning spree, the problem is going to reoccur so long as people continue to abuse the system and ignore the guidelines.

xxx

Nope, I just wasn't very clear. What I meant was that if one or two people misuse the system on one-off occasions, there isn't much we can do to stop them. If they continue to misuse the system, this is abuse, and then we will take action. However we cannot stop those one-off occurrences so they will happen, on occasion. Sorry for being confusing.

Is it not so much about a member's reputation but rather about the reputation of a single post?

Personally I would answer it is about a members reputation. Some very helpful members have high reputations, such as myself, then you have members such as Data at the other end of the spectrum. Although he has been subjected to some bullying, Josh has reset his reputation a few times but he always slips in to the minus very quickly.

Lilly says;

You say;

xxx

Nope, I just wasn't very clear. What I meant was that if one or two people misuse the system on one-off occasions, there isn't much we can do to stop them. If they continue to misuse the system, this is abuse, and then we will take action. However we cannot stop those one-off occurrences so they will happen, on occasion. Sorry for being confusing.

Thank you for re-explaining, i get it now... but i still dont see that if this is the case why has Datas problem not been dealt with?

xxx

I was only doing that to further reinforce the point, for other members and not you alone. If you found it patronising, I'm sorry, I had not intended it as such. Though the only point I made was that CWP was not abusing the system.

In your words he was "Misusing the system", if he does it again and again, then he is abusing the system. I suggest as a mod you warn him about this and explain how the system works, misuse can quickly become abuse.

Are we still on this? I'm honestly starting to think this is a wind up on your part.

I didn't want to say anything but if you're calling for me to get a warning then you should get a belated one too. The ***free rep points*** thread was a blatant haven for misusing points yet you posted there on four occasions.

:)

Are we still on this? I'm honestly starting to think this is a wind up on your part.

I didn't want to say anything but if you're calling for me to get a warning then you should get a belated one too. The ***free rep points*** thread was a blatant haven for misusing points yet you posted there on four occasions.

:)

CWP I felt you were antagonising me when I was trying to make a point, that is all, it is done now. :)

Again, here to help the mentally ill or get some cheap kicks. I will not be answering you on this thread again and strongly suggest you review your commitment here and your attitude.

I was celebrating the fact that the thread/dispute was "done now". I fear I may have danced too soon.

I would and should deeply resent being accused of only being here for cheap kicks but I'm not going to rise to it.

OMG this convo...AGAIN! You would think the "mentally ill" members here had alot bigger problems than this poxy rep system...who even cares?

Does it matter?? NO

Will it effect you life? NO

Will it help you to get better? NO

So why the fuck go on and on and on about it???? ignore the poxy points! Its a fucking point, jesus!

Grow up!!!

OMG this convo...AGAIN! You would think the "mentally ill" members here had alot bigger problems than this poxy rep system...who even cares?

Does it matter?? NO

Will it effect you life? NO

Will it help you to get better? NO

So why the fuck go on and on and on about it???? ignore the poxy points! Its a fucking point, jesus!

Grow up!!!

A near perfect example of reasonable adult behaviour, why we could all learn a thing or two from this post! Well done and I am so sorry you were forced to read it and reply.

Archived