Mental Health Forums

Don't Want To Go Out

Janet

Got to visit family today - body won't move.

Slept badly, normal dreaming - but feeling stuck - can not seem to come into reality and wake up.

I forced myself to get out of bed and have a wash. I will/must go

The physical aspects of this depression are slowing me down. I have little energy and feel ache.

It feels like pathways are not firing quickly enough.

I have motivation, but physical I find it difficult to achieve my tasks. When I do it make me feel better.

I want to stay at home - husband said I can - but that will not help - must push on....

Hi Janet

I know when I'm going through a bad bout of depression, I can't think straight, become very confused and my body feels really heavy. You're showing real strength here when you say that you must push on which isn't easy when you're feeling like this but be careful not to push yourself too hard - be kind to yourself - I'm sure your family will completely understand. :hug2: xxxx

hi janet, you sum up perfectly how depression affects people. i know that feeling well unfortunately but thankfully i get it a lot less nowadays. for me when i feel like that it is just such a feeling of aloneness. you just feel so different from the people who are able to do the everyday things easily.

i think its great u still want to go and i really hope u have a nice time. if u can manage it thats brill but if u can't then don't be hard on yourself. i think one thing which helps is to treat yourself as kindly as u can. and if u can manage it little treats for yourself. bubble baths, magazines, a book u've wanted to read(if u can concentrate!), nice food, anything you enjoy. you so deserve it afterall its so difficult going through this.

take care xxxx

In such a situation I mostly try to weigh up which things I need to do & which I can put off - rescheduling my week. Of late though I tried to carry on like a bull in a china shop, which seems to have backfired. (with me as it happens several other ailments are mixed up in the depression as well)

Hoping your plan for today works out well.

Are you eating properly Janet? Sometimes people with depression don't eat a lot and that can reduce your energy.

No - I find that I over eat and have put quite a bit of weight on. I eat as a comfort.

Mentally I have started to improve, I will talk more, I don’t get so anxious and my self esteem is slowly improving.

Now I need to work on the physical aspects’ of my clinical depression.

One thing it to eat less, and to do more physical activity/exercise. I want to but my energy level stops me.

Therefore one of this week’s goals is to find things I like to do and do it - just need to decide what.....and hope it helps.

hi janet, you sum up perfectly how depression affects people. i know that feeling well unfortunately but thankfully i get it a lot less nowadays. for me when i feel like that it is just such a feeling of aloneness. you just feel so different from the people who are able to do the everyday things easily.

i think its great u still want to go and i really hope u have a nice time. if u can manage it thats brill but if u can't then don't be hard on yourself. i think one thing which helps is to treat yourself as kindly as u can. and if u can manage it little treats for yourself. bubble baths, magazines, a book u've wanted to read(if u can concentrate!), nice food, anything you enjoy. you so deserve it afterall its so difficult going through this.

take care xxxx

My family are nice people so once I start to interact with them it gets easier. I have to make an effort and keep these visits short.

I was tired and was starting to feel confused and anxious again when I got home. So I slept and spent the rest of the day relaxing.

So not to bad - just need to keep doing it.....

Hi Janet

I know when I'm going through a bad bout of depression, I can't think straight, become very confused and my body feels really heavy. You're showing real strength here when you say that you must push on which isn't easy when you're feeling like this but be careful not to push yourself too hard - be kind to yourself - I'm sure your family will completely understand. :hug2: xxxx

Thank you.....

My family do understand - but I don’t talk to them much about it.

That was one of the reasons I decided to join a forum, so I could talk more and gain some support to keep me motivated and monitored.

One of my issues is that if a plan goes wrong I get cross with myself and I am sometime to impatient for the illness to end.

When I am having a good day, I do push things to much.

I need to find a balance - not easy....

In such a situation I mostly try to weigh up which things I need to do & which I can put off - rescheduling my week. Of late though I tried to carry on like a bull in a china shop, which seems to have backfired. (with me as it happens several other ailments are mixed up in the depression as well)

Hoping your plan for today works out well.

It did go OK. It was a must do - we had to visit my dad in his care home and then go to a family members 15th birthday. I don't see these things as a duty, if I did - I would have cancelled.

I needed to do and wanted to do. I did it. Found it hard - now I need to keep doing similar things, and not slip back….

Really admire you 4 managing to get urself out today. Hope the day goes ok 4 u.

It did go ok. This morning i feel low again - and need to keeping pushing....

Janet,

I know exactly how you feel. I have a lovely extended family too and there is always something going on and we have always supported each other so it’s difficult to refuse invites. I found keeping a diary helpful. Leading up to the event I would list everything I needed to do from bathing, shopping, to dressing. It helped prepare me for the event. Also taking things easy for a couple of days leading up to the event, and planning to have a couple of days to myself afterwards too helped me cope better.

Waking and thinking about something really positive gets me out of bed most mornings.

Janet,

I know exactly how you feel. I have a lovely extended family too and there is always something going on and we have always supported each other so it’s difficult to refuse invites. I found keeping a diary helpful. Leading up to the event I would list everything I needed to do from bathing, shopping, to dressing. It helped prepare me for the event. Also taking things easy for a couple of days leading up to the event, and planning to have a couple of days to myself afterwards too helped me cope better.

Waking and thinking about something really positive gets me out of bed most mornings.

I also prepair well and it makes a difference.

Still found it hard to get out of bed this morning - thats why i am useing the forum now in the hope it will help lift my spirits. Still not got dressed!!!!!

Got a doctors appointment at 4pm - need to prepair for that.

Thank -you

regards

Janet

You're welcome.

Keep posting.

Let me know how you get on at the docs. Okay?

Doctor said to keep on keeping on - to give it time and not to be so hard on myself. I know all that but it is hard to travel through - this is where I need support.

Cooked a proper meal last night - that made me feel better - getting my eating back under control.

Still feeling low, slow and ache. But I will push on.....

Glad to hear your family are nice people. I don't have many left & they are miles away. I note you have aches and feel you have low energy. I hope it will be clear which kind this is, whether it is safe to push yourself physically (for most people it probably is).

I find that if I enjoy the little things I can do (making a simple meal or reading a bit of a book or web site) and admire myself for the medium sized things (tidying the flat contents a bit, dressing, taking a shower or going out) I don't have poor self esteem.

Glad to hear your family are nice people. I don't have many left & they are miles away. I note you have aches and feel you have low energy. I hope it will be clear which kind this is, whether it is safe to push yourself physically (for most people it probably is).

I find that if I enjoy the little things I can do (making a simple meal or reading a bit of a book or web site) and admire myself for the medium sized things (tidying the flat contents a bit, dressing, taking a shower or going out) I don't have poor self esteem.

I think the feeling of heaviness in my body; sleeping and eating problems are directly related to the physical symptoms included with clinical depression. Yesterday I started to eat properly and today I feel less heavy. With me it takes time for the illness to lift. I get impatient, I have one good day and I think it's all over, then next day when it comes back if get angry with it. I accept the bad days are easier and less and the good ones are more. But it is tough to travel though.

When I am well my self esteem is fine.

You're doing really well Janet. I get angry with myself when I think I'm coming out of a bout of depression and then it comes back again. It is a very hard journey but I tell myself - I've got out of this before, I can get out of it again. I really admire your strength. xx

You're doing really well Janet. I get angry with myself when I think I'm coming out of a bout of depression and then it comes back again. It is a very hard journey but I tell myself - I've got out of this before, I can get out of it again. I really admire your strength. xx

Thank you

Since mum died 4 years ago, I have had 4 bouts each lasting about 2 months...it's too much and too long.

My employer is not happy.

I am due to go back to work on the 17th and if i continue to make progess, this should be about right.

I am just so feed up of feeling like this.....but it realy helps to talk with others who feel the same.

Regards

Janet

Archived