Mental Health Forums

Wasting Medication

piuma

I have done this before im sure most of us have. but its only just recently dawning on me how much medication costs and the adverse affect that has on things changing in government, with cutting costs and stuff.

in wales we do not pay for medication, upstairs i have 2 full un opened bottles of lithium, i have now cancelled the lithium as im not going to take it anymore, and i intend on heading the other two bottles back.

does anyone else feel bad? all those times i overdosed and was still given more cos i pretended i wasnt going to do that anymore, all the things i have been prescribed for things, and i know dam well i wont take them cos i am that kind of person. i have learnt now, i just wont ask any more for medication. not unless i am dying lol.

I used to feel bad Pie but no-one needs to feel bad as it's a part of the illness that we do things we wouldn't normally do or even condone doing. I would ask anyone who suffers with MH to not feel bad about anything like that. You can't help how you feel xxx

suppose hun, but i just think that someone more worthy could have had that medication, and perhaps i had the last bottle in that day, and someone else who wants to take it, has had to wait for theirs, i know its not much, but now making a concerted effort to not..........

I was in the chemist a few weeks ago picking up my prescription and chose to wait, whilst waiting I read a pamphlet on how much wasted medication costs the country. I can't remember the figures but it was alot. I thought then of all the times I had lied and how much medication I have returned to the chemist for disposal. I think you have a good point but do think that I like to have a stash which is wrong but prior to reading this pamphlet didn't consider the money this costed. It mainly said in this pamphlet about people reordering medications on repeat when they didn't need them. I know I do this, I don't check what I have I just reorder at the first opportunity. Always have an anxiety I will run out.

It's far better to hand meds in than flush them (which pollutes the water supply more than is planned for).

One could hand some in in an anonymous bag at a chemist one doesn't often go to, asking for them to be disposed of. Even if there is only one chemist I'm sure they are trained to be non-judgmental and would surely think well of someone that was doing the right thing.

They will send abroad any that are in an undisturbed blister pack.

Some doctors cause medicine waste because they prescribe too strong dosages, then when it proves too strong it has to be left off and the rest of the packet gets wasted, even if handed in (though can be disposed of safely).

Archived