Mental Health Forums

Anxiety Medication?

Wynter Grace

Hi,

I get really bad Anxiety/Panic. Is there medication that just deals with Anxiety or would I have to be on anti-depressants aswell?

Wynter xx

I take Stelazine for anxiety and paranoia.

The anti-depressant citalopram is good for anxiety as well.

Thanks.

I have tried Citalopram, I didn't really feel much of a difference while I was on it.

Xx

low doses of the old tri-cyclic antidepressants are also good for anx and they can also help u sleep too...

Hi,

I get really bad Anxiety/Panic. Is there medication that just deals with Anxiety or would I have to be on anti-depressants aswell?

Wynter xx

I suffer from Anxiety they placed me on antidepresents to relieve the symtoms i must admit they are really helpful ask your doctor who should help you. The medication im on is called citilopram.

Hi,

Wynter xx

I suffer from Anxiety they placed me on antidepresents to relieve the symtoms i must admit they are really helpful ask your doctor who should help you. The medication im on is called citilopram.

Thanks, I will ask my doc.

I was on Citalopram before, and didn't really feel much effect. But that was about 3 yrs ago.

Maybe I should give it another go.

Wynter xx

One thing I've learned is that for panic if you do not have access to a benzo... you can always take an antihistamine. I was prescribed Vistaril (it's a derivative of zyrtec, the allergy med) and essentially relaxes the lungs so you can breathe easier which in turn, relaxes the anxiety. I liked it b/c it was not a controlled substance and was not addictive.

Nina

Both my risperidone (very low dose) and gabapentin help with anxiety.

Risperidone (very low dose) by broadening my outlook, and gabapentin by easing absences and resultant mood swings and by lessening nerve pain (it has triple action for me).

I've even found the occasional paracetamol (with my GP's approval) helps with anxiety, generally I am taking the above mentioned as well.

So many different medicines may do it, for different people at least.

Best of wishes with that.

I used to take citalopram for dep and anxiety but dr put me on sertraline recently and its had really great results for me apart from the increase thoughts of sui at the start but i guess not everyone gets those side effects.....

one thing i found with the sertraline is that my obbsessive thoughts have lessened (which is brill), thats something that didnt happen wen i took cit

Everyone is different... but for me I take Trazodone and Venlafaxine (the trazodone was given to me to sleep... BOOOOOY does it work! ... most of the time... its my miracle pill :D lol) but the combo together... my anxiety attacks (which were terrible and all day everyday) are pretty much gone! Thank god... Best of luck to you honey.

Another tip is to ask your dr for ariprazole its an anti psycotic drug but it helps with depression ie temper and anxiety as well as psycotic issues. Your dr will know best good luck.

There're a lot of meds for anxiety such as Ativan, Stelazine, Niravam, Serax, Hydroxyzine HCl, Librium and etc. But better for you is ask your doctor which medication will be the best for you. Good luck!

There're a lot of meds for anxiety such as Ativan, Stelazine, Niravam, Serax, Hydroxyzine HCl, Librium and etc. But better for you is ask your doctor which medication will be the best for you. Good luck!

Thanks, I was put on Citalopram

x

I take Citalopram and it does really help. I only need to take the Stelazine when things get really out of control to boost the Citalopram xx

hi there citalopram is an anti-depressant and I understand it is used for anxiety too. All the different anti-depressants have different facets to them.

I am on an antidepressant (amongst other things) but specifically propranolol for anxiety which is a beta-blocker and not addictive but very effective x

hi there citalopram is an anti-depressant and I understand it is used for anxiety too. All the different anti-depressants have different facets to them.

I am on an antidepressant (amongst other things) but specifically propranolol for anxiety which is a beta-blocker and not addictive but very effective x

Hi Roses,

I know I took it years ago for depression, she told me it is good for anxiety, so I said I'd give it another go.

She said she doesn't give out diazapam anymore cos it's so addictive.

xx

yeah good for her. anything ending in "azepam" I avoid like the plague. Like I said propranolol is actually a medictaion for heart conditions but used for anxiety also and is a beta-blocker so not got the side effects of some other psyche meds. I'm glad you are trying it. All my meds are aimed at anti- anxiety pretty much. As lofepramine is good for calming and so is the quetiapine

yeah good for her. anything ending in "azepam" I avoid like the plague. Like I said propranolol is actually a medictaion for heart conditions but used for anxiety also and is a beta-blocker so not got the side effects of some other psyche meds. I'm glad you are trying it. All my meds are aimed at anti- anxiety pretty much. As lofepramine is good for calming and so is the quetiapine

I've never heard of those... been on my 4 days. So far So good!

xx

Archived