Mental Health Forums

Anyone On Efexor?

tattoogirl

Hiya

Im changing over my medication at the minute from Sertraline 200mg (which was utter crap) to Efexor,

Anyone share their experiences and thoughts on it? or know much about it?

thanks

i feel like shit!

Hi Tat (((hugs))) I was on Effexor and then got switched over to Venalfaxine (which is the exact same thing, just a "cheaper" name) and it works pretty good... What are you going to be taking it for? The main thing it works for me is my anxiety attacks. Now every medication works differently for every individual but I would take into GREAT consideration the withdraw effects from this medication. I ran out because I did not have enough money to pay for my next prescription and missed a few days... I FELT LIKE I WAS DYING! I got severely depressed, felt extremely hopeless and beyond exhausted. The worst part of it was every other second my body got this ZOLT of electricity throughout it which HURT and made me even more exhausted and couldn't move... Talk to your doctor about the withdraw effects because these are very common with people who take this medication and either 1)forget dosages or 2)switch over to a different prescription. I don't know if Venlafaxine does the same when withdrawn because I have not missed any yet... but maybe talk to your doc about this medication also? Just be careful NOT TO MISS ANY DOSES... I cannot stress that enough... I know it all works different for people, but this has happen to a lot of people who have taken this med... its SOOO NOT FUN... Sorry for the rambling... haven't finished my coffee :wacko: I'm so sorry you feel like shit hun. :( I hope you start feeling better soon... :bigarmhug[1]:

I took Effexor for a few years, really seemed to work. Only the really high dose worked for me, I think its 225mg.

You can avoid the withdrawal by getting hold of the extended release version, and gradually taking out a couple of 'beads' each day. Super-smooth taper, though your doc might tell you off for it.

Biggest side effect for me was 'anorgasmia', which you can guess what that is.

Ross

I've been on it for some years now and I think it's pants, I was on 225mg and it's been dropped to 150mg and neither dosage has helped. My biggest side affect with it is seriously weird dreams (and I mean seriously weird!) and if I miss 1 tablet the headaches certainly let you know you've missed a dose!

hey

yeh its Venalfaxine that they gave me, to start with 2 x 37.5mg daily. They always start with the small dose and move upwards. Ive heard alot about the withdrawels so ill defentily bare that in mind!

thank you

Bimo - (((HUGS))) Did they ever up your dosage rather than moving you from drug-to-drug? How long were you on them for?

Yeah. I maxed out on citalopram......can't remember what that was now, venlafaxine I started on 75mg and went on to 150mg and now my sertraline has been upped from 100mg to 150mg......still nothing........someone, somewhere, is trying to tell me something.

(((BIMO))) Your BODY is just trying to tell you that it loves you and doesn't want those specific meds... it took me FOREVER to find the right combo of meds... still working on the BPD, the others are okay now though... it just takes time. Have you ever taken more than one med at a time?

No, I haven't.

Don't even believe it's anti-depressants I need any more as I don't think it's depression.

And I don't beleve that my body loves me, I believe it wants to die.

Honey, if your BODY wanted to die... it would not have come into this world... Have you talked to your doc more about what it might be other than depression? Maybe it's depression mixed with other stuff... it sounds like you may have to have a combination of meds in order to get things under control. Best of luck hun. :bigarmhug[1]:

I know it is scary hun... but you have got to do what is BEST for you... the feelings you're having are obviously NOT what is best for you... and once you get everything properly diagnosed, you can get put on the right prescriptions and get everything under control. (((HUGS)))

dont be silly, hijack away! meds are a nightmare to try and get right for your body, sertraline was rubbish for me! hopefully this one does something!!

I found that the efexor worked for me for a litte while but then it stopped. Maybe I gave up at that time and the medication just wasn't enough? Nothing seems to be enough anymore. I'm really at my wits end. :(

And you upped the dosage, hun? Maybe if you took something else along with it? I found out that taking just ONE med did not work for me...

I know its a pain in the ass, believe me... been on meds for almost 15 years on and off and am still trying to figure this bull out... If the effexor worked for you but then it stopped, I would talk to your doc about going back on it but adding something along with it... I know everyone is different but I take venlafaxine (same thing) and Trazodone together... when before I was just taking the trazodone and my anxiety was still TERRIBLE... so we tried a couple meds till we found Effexor and now my anxiety is under control... Do you think you could talk to your doc about adding a med to your effexor? (sorry for the rambling... still waking up and my coffee is not in my blood stream yet :wacko: )

I was on Effexor for about a year and a half. I was taking 150mg at breakfast and 75mg with supper. (225mg a day). I felt almost emotionless. Which could be a good thing for some. I recently quit taking effoxor because i didnt think i had deppression. Just anxiety. I have been doing horrible. The brain shockls are unberable, I cannot think straight. I hate everhything. I am unsure on what to do. I am so confused. I take pain meds just to cope. I am either going to try another antideppresant or go back on Effexor XR.

Hi,

My undestanding is limited and I'm not a doctor so it's hard to offer help. Efexor Venlafaxine has worked for me. It turned down the volume on all my emotions, the ones you thrive on but more importantly, the ones that can destroy you. So, if life's food, the chocolate will not taste as good but then again the Pot Noodle will not make you want to end it all.

Drugs have to be tailored to the condition and the person. I just hope you find something that works for you.

Yours,

Jolyon

I suppose I was really lucky as I am now on Citalopram 20mg for the last 8 days and they worked very well within just a few days: I could feel that buzz and my thoughts became more and more clear without the "jumble". My panic attacks (one each morning) have become less and less as well.

My central message to this thread is just give the meds long enough to act, and if they don't act within a two to three weeks then try another and then another until it does work.

Take care.

Hiya

Im changing over my medication at the minute from Sertraline 200mg (which was utter crap) to Efexor,

Anyone share their experiences and thoughts on it? or know much about it?

thanks

i feel like shit!

I started on Venlafaxine (Efexor)yesterday, 37.5mg dose at the moment, then up to 75mg tomorrow. I was on Sertraline before for about a year, and at first it seemed to help my mood making me feel more stable, but then it just seemed to stop workimng. I continued taking it for a while, feeling pretty hopeless about getting better, and then just cut it all off together.

It's only recently I had a breakdown, overwhelmed by everything and the weight on my shoulders. I've felt physical effects instantly from taking Efexor. I've tried various legal highs in the past, and also MDMA, and all I can say is these effects are drawing several parallels between the other drugs I've tried. I've felt incredibly shaky yesterday and today, and all my senses are heightened like I've been smoking marijuana. Everything tastes more intense which is making me feel funny about eating anything. I'm hoping that I get used to these effects. My pupils are dilated as well which is making me feel weird about going out and seeing anyone in the street.

We can both exchange how we're feeling on it if you like, we've both just started so it might be comforting to share as we go along?

i was on venkaflaxine slow release but when i had to stop takin this as id od for a change i got terrible headaches and brain zaps, been on lots since n then i stopped takin any meds and started self medicating again, since my last section, ive been put back on citalopram im upto 40mg movin up in two week plus trazodone n diazepam, n again im suffering severe headache loss of emotion appetite, cant go to the toilet for two weeks now! venlaflaxine i felt was working but i withdrew from all my support team hence me been as i was, i seem to get bad reactions from all tabs to be honest x

Archived