Mental Health Forums

My Meds

starryeyesee

I saw my pdoc today and we discussed cutting my anti psychotic (risperdal) to 1 mg. I cut this med from 4 mg in june to 2mg. She responded that it could take months or years to eventually stop this med and i feel really disappointed. I've lost a bit of weight and i am more clear. i haven't cut for over a year and the voices are rare these days but she said it was too soon.

i really want to be med free. i'm almost tempted to start reducing the dose myself.

what should i do?

starry x

I think you should take the advice of your pdoc. My friend who is really ill atm, stopped taking olanzapine a few of months ago. He was only taking 5 mgs, but this has triggered a massive relapse of psychosis which he hasnt had for eight years. And it happened really quickly too.

I'm a fan of low dose risperidone though I've never been above 2 mg daily.

It broadens my outlook, enabling me to think of more things at once than without it.

Maybe now that you have come out of what appears to have been a rather strong dose for you (you are 'more clear' on your present dose), you can continue to enjoy the benefits at a low dose. It's worth giving it time in my untutored opinion. 2 mg may be the dose at which you can enjoy maximum benefit at minimum side effects.

I think you should stick to what the dr says. I know you prob want to just be off it now - but as the saying goes dont try and run before you can walk! It would be better to come off it slowly without the risk of relapsing, than to just stop it and risk your symptoms coming back. I have been on risperdal before and is a major - if thats the word - drug. When you stop a drug just like that, the effects of it can stay in your body for a month or so depending on the drug etc and your symptoms can come back very gradually, weeks down the line. Sort of creep up on you if you know what i mean. Not sure if this makes any sense.

Archived