Mental Health Forums

A Step In The Right Direction.

Tillyann

Other half hit crisis point again this morning. He had the choice of a bottle of vodka or try his chances at A and E.

He asked me to take him to the hospital even though he thought they'd either kick him out, dismiss him as a time waster or tell him to go back to his GP. We had to wait around for a while but eventually saw a doctor and she was great. She spent about an hour asking questions and listening to other half. She went away for a little while then came back to say that she was giving him some new tablets which he has to take for the next 2 weeks while she is making an appointment for him to see a consultant. She's not put a name to the problem but the tablets are for controlling bipolar disorder, presumably the consultant will give a full diagnoses in 2 weeks.

I'm so relieved that somebody has listened properly and not dismissed him as a piss-head going through withdrawal. He's been stuck in a rut of mental heath people saying they can't help until he's off the drink and alcohol people saying he's not alcoholic and needs to see the mental health people. I feel like we're off the roundabout and heading in the right direction at last!!

Well it's been a couple of days now and things seem to be settling down quite nicely :-) I might even dare to look forward to tomorrow.

Me too CM! He seems a lot calmer on these tablets but I think I can tell when it starts to wear off and he's due for another tablet - not sure if that's good or bad?

I don't know what he's been prescribed or the dosage, it may be that when you go to see the pdoc he'll adjust the dosage when you tell him/her about this. Do you have the appt for the pdoc yet? I really hope that all continues to go well for you xxxx

Same shit, different day. Not taking his meds now and spent his prescription money on vodka. Sick of going round in circles and I can't see the point anymore. Sick of being used when I'm needed and getting fuck all in return. (and don't say it's bullshit when you read this, because that's how I feel - like a doormat)

I can understand feeling like a doormat. Unfortunately some people's problems are complex and they have "comorbidity", e.g. you can be both bipolar and an alcoholic. It must be very hard for you.

Archived