Mental Health Forums

Anyone Know Anything About Chlorpromazine?

shakemymilk

My Psychiatrist recommended I try Chlorpromazine for anxiety to take as and when I needed, does anyone know if this drug is ok or should I not take it?

Hi Third Eye

Chlorpromazine is commonly thought to be a tranquiliser but it's not, it's an anti-psychotic/neuroleptic. I am currently taking Stelazine for anxiety which is also an anti-psychotic.

I have been on a low dose of chlorpromazine in the past and got on with it fine. The one thing that I would be careful about is that it can make you extremely photo-sensitive and so, if you spend time in the sun, you should use sun cream and sunglasses.

I hope you get on with it OK and that it helps you. xxxx

Chlorpromazine (Largactil) was one of the first effective drugs for psychosis developed. Its a really old drug, been around since the 1950s. One of its strangest side effects is that it can cause sunburn, so patients in mental hospitals were given hats!

I have been prescribed chlorpromazine in the past for anxiety. It is good for calming you down, and isn't really additive like diazepam is.

Causes you to burn easily in sun. Always wear suntan lotion in summer! Worked well for me when prescribed it in the past. Does make you feel tired.

It helped me with intrusive thoughts and anxiety, the higher the dose the more side effects, like jerky movements for me so came off it onto quentiapine instead.

Archived