Mental Health Forums

Meds

toaster

A lot of you know I am not currently on any meds...I am on the list to see someone from the cmht so hopefully it won't be too long.

In the past I have been on all kinds and I never really gave them a chance or I abused the meds. It culminated in my being discharged from services.

My attitude towards meds is now very different - they are there for a reason, they aren't a cure but can help but the rest is up to us. Fucking about with them can only do us more harm than good.

This isn't me being a martyr or whatever. I just wish I had done things differently and had someone to tell me these things. I would like to be on meds now, to take the edge of. I work hard at keeping myself well and sometimes I wish i could just pop a pill to help me sleep, to take the edge of the anxiety and depression.

My message is this - be grateful if you have the help. I know it is difficult, but remember if you feel nothing is working med wise then there is no point being on them and your doc will eventually reach the same conclusion...with a chance of being discharged from services, being left alone etc. Then what do you do? I wallowed in meself for years after, blamed everyone around me. I was very unpleasant to be around. I'm lucky to have had the therapy I did. Others may not be.

Toast xx

Fair enough hun, I'm glad that you have come as far as you have. I'm proud of you.

I think it is about finding a balance between the pain and suffering of mental illness and the stability that meds can bring, WITHOUT letting the meds take over and totally change who you are. There is no point in (long-term) being stable but not yourself. Eventually you need to look at finding a balance when the crisis is over, so you can resume with your life.

Really good point toast well done you are doing well.

I sometimes do that with meds, i think its part of coming to terms with being unwell, once u can accept help then u can begin to recover, its a long road as u know.....hope it continues for you. well done

emo xxx

Archived