Mental Health Forums

Bristol Priory

lauraw2693

Just wondering if anyone's been treated there? I have a psychiatrist but am looking for a private consultant for a second opinion so am considering requesting an assessment there (outpatient). Any comments or recommendations of particular consultants would really be helpful, thanks ^_^

Hi I saw a consultant but was at Woking Priory. It helped me at the time but was not a lot he could do as I was under Consultant on NHS and MH takes a while to assess. A one or two hour appt is not enough when you think it can take years to get a dx of a personality disorder from observation by MH team. I think go for it but don't hold too much weight on it. It can help if you take their opinion to your current doctor, to discuss it or if you can afford to let them continue to treat you, but they can't really do a great deal from one appt. But it is worth a try, any thing is worth a try.

Thanks Roses, glad it helped you. I do already have the personality disorder diagnosis from my NHS psychiatrist, it's more for the other things - which I have tried talking to my psych about but he seems to ignore anything that doesn't fall in directly with BPD - the other reason was I want to talk to a female one to talk through some abuse stuff because I'm positive I have PTSD but don't feel comfortable talking to my psych about it & the only other one here is also male. Nah I can't afford more than the one appointment really with their prices! My plan was to ask if I could email them a list of symptoms or whatever before the appointment so they'd have some background info..

you are entitled to change your psychiatrist if you like. I did and changed for a female one. Also I asked for a female therapist and they were pretty accomodating. I have a male one now but they did warn me. I think they have to take it into account if they can. Can you ask for a list of all the therapists at your local CMHT (or nearby CMHT cos at one point one travelled to our centre to see me) ???

I'll give it a try as I've had an email back from Priory and it really is expensive! I know there isn't a female psych here but maybe I can ask to see one in a nearby area, I don't know how it works.. :mellow: thanks hun xx

Archived