Mental Health Forums

Horrible Intrusive Thoughts

addy2

I am so stressed, i have had ocd for about 16yrs and i don't know if what i am experiencing now is OCD or not, i saw a horrible picture this evening, totally disgusting with blood and stuff i can't repeat it i don't want to upset anyone, anyway i feel sick i feel i need to do what is in the picture to myself, i need to hurt myself and cause pain to get rid of the distress this picture has caused me, what is wrong with me, i am struggling to not do this. Has anyone else ever felt like this what can i do to get rid of this picture and these thoughts, please help me!!!!

I get all sorts of horrid intrusive thoughts. They are worse when I am under stress, but they are not there when I am in a good mood.

Hiya Hun

((((addy)))), i am sorry that you are getting the disturbing thoughts/images, i get them myself sometimes, especially when under stress and through trauma. I dont know if this will help but my therapist suggested that when i get them i have to try to not react to them which is harder than it sounds i am sure but she said just accept that its there and let it pass through your head without reaction. This takes practice but it should get easier. Another option is to try distracting yourself until it passes or failing that you could ask your g.p for some medication. Some anti-d's treat ocd, depression and ptsd. I hope this helps you a little xxxx

I would try anything, it did get a bit better but i don't know why i reacted like this to that picture i never felt that way before, i keep wanting to go back and look at it even though it makes me feel sick, does that mean i am sick for wanting to do that, my partner says i am mad when i told him he said i was disturbed. Thanks for the advice angeltears, i am trying so hard not to think about it.

Hiya addy

no hun you are not sick, something about it is obviously very distressing to you and i know that you are going through a tough time right now ((((addy)))), maybe something in the picture has triggered you?. Sometimes i know that when we have been through trauma, anything related to it or something that reminde us of it can be deeply disturbing. xxxx

Thankyou Angel Tears, i have tried forgetting about it but i can't, i have tried looking at it again to try and just get used to it. I am going to mention it to my therapist, i can't understand why it has affected me so much. Maybe its because i have been so stressed anyway that makes it worse, i almost called the out of hours mental health team but i didn't want them to think i was mad.

hi

my t tells me to say they are just thoughts that i dont have to action thoughts, that i can say NO.

also distraction, self soothe etc i get told to do, and opposite action, so instead of hurting yourself be nice to yourself, pamper etc

cad

Archived