Mental Health Forums

My Six Monthly Review Is Coming Up

successful_workthru

and I am anxious I will be discharged.

My friend who is under the care of the local mental health trust dosent get reviews so why do I?

What do I say when they ask "How do you think we can help you"

They sent me on courses which I have been mostly attending, but due to tranquiliser withdrawal anxiety I havent engaged with the home practices and tools they have given me on the course. The courses are CBT based.

I am receiving primary health care and have a care co-ordinator and a support worker visit me every two weeks.

I am hoping to reach secondary health care (more intensive CBT) and then tertiary health care (deeper therapy) as I have some issues from childhood that are profoundly affecting my life, only I dont exactly know what those issues are, I am just getting the effects of these issues which cause me communication, interaction, intimacy and general problems connecting with people.

What exactly happens in a review?

Do they discharge you?

Why dont some people get reviews yet I do?

Thank you for reading this post any replies will help put my mind at rest.

SW

... What do I say when they ask "How do you think we can help you"

They sent me on courses which I have been mostly attending, but due to tranquiliser withdrawal anxiety I havent engaged with the home practices and tools they have given me on the course. The courses are CBT based.

I am receiving primary health care and have a care co-ordinator and a support worker visit me every two weeks.

I am hoping to reach secondary health care (more intensive CBT) and then tertiary health care (deeper therapy) as I have some issues from childhood that are profoundly affecting my life, only I dont exactly know what those issues are, I am just getting the effects of these issues which cause me communication, interaction, intimacy and general problems connecting with people ...

I would like to just give you a small sample of my ideas.

The possibilities sound on balance promising.

I wish I had given you more attention earlier. I've picked up what I think may be useful clues from your earlier threads.

Your folks brought you up in an invalidating atmosphere. Invalidation stays with one long term.

Your relatively low level of taste for physical intimacy could be constitutionally based and therefore right for you.

In a completely different context and without mentioning who wrote this I would like to quote:

" ... we find human opinions running to extremes, absurd extremes ... we have the voices who cry for sex and more sex; ... who think that most of the troubles of the race are traceable to sex causes. They think that we do not have enough of it, or that it is the wrong kind. They see its significance everywhere. One school would allow man no flavour for his fare and the other would have us all on a straight pepper diet ... "

I wish to offer a critique of the media which taken as a whole are trying to over-sexualise everybody. However it is up to each of us to decide our own right levels without media pressure.

It's wrong to compare ourselves too much with other people or the image given to other people. "Don't compare how you feel with how others look" has been said to me.

That you sometimes rock to sooth yourself as do I, and that you have sometimes hit yourself to soothe yourself in a time of distress, which I got from another thread of yours, in which other members contributed, appear to me constitutionally based. Now one can adapt or evolve the reflex of hitting oneself, into something else more constructive in form. I have seen this in a friend of mine.

Initiative such as applying course principles at home involve personal intensity and also there can be a difficulty contextualising an activity from one environment to another. This isn't inferior by the way.

As constitutions run in families and as their expression doesn't have to be identical, perhaps your folks were struggling with their own constitutional issues coupled with lack of oppportunity to reconstruct their attitudes. Perhaps their own parents hadn't validated them because they were distressed at having offspring who differed from expectations. Spouses can be intolerant through not coping with a spouse with differences.

I learned only recently of a grandmother with slight but significant disabilities and an intolerant grandfather (inflexibly thinking due to his own limitations).

Rather than having a negative concept of different ability (what Wendy Lawson calls "diffability") I like to flag up the idea of looking on it as an opportunity to appreciate and enjoy one's own individuality and explore more potential.

By reducing overstimulation of our central nervous systems many of us can open the doors to developing our gift for calmness. In my case I was recognised as a centre of calm in my younger childhood (before I was bullied much).

Some people use names to attach to the above mentioned concepts but I would warn that if I were to mention some of those, the mental health and medical related professions taken generally do not unfortunately make it their business to know about these things. And attempts at informal self-diagnosis are usually best done away from professions out of simple tact and discretion.

Diagnostic manuals have protocols for the sequence in which related issues should be looked into before examining possible mental illness diagnoses, but these are not often kept to due to low levels of knowledge.

Reviewing what is in your question, invalidation does undermine all interacting big time - it gets mixed right up with a constitutional liking for one's own space, and confused with it, and with cultural expectations - but in my opinion you have sufficient areas to work on with the various mental health resources as a result of invalidation (reactive depression).

There is a further constitutional issue which the MH professions do understand somewhat, a constitutional tendency to be a little depressed (endogenic depression).

Archived