Mental Health Forums

How Do You Deal With Cravings?

choochoomama

Hi :)

I'm curious to know how you all deal with food cravings? I'm constantly battling with myself coz I don't want to undo my hard work but the cravings seem so so strong, no matter what I'm doing I can't stop thinking about whatever it is I'm craving. Its like food takes over. And I'm saying to myself "Don't go in the kitchen! just don't eat it, its simmple, just don't eat it!" but as I'm saying that to myself in my head, I'm already in the kitchen n opening the cupboard :( I feel so controlled by cravings and I don't know how to make them go away. I realise its wrong, but I think of people who starve themselves etc and I find myself wishing I could just do that to lose the weight, just to give me a bit of a boost but I can't even do that :(

When I have cravings I chew loadsa chewing gum because it keeps my mouth active, and drink excessive amount of low cal fizzy drinks because it makes me full.

I dont usually buy anything like biscuits, crisps, sweets, choc etc when I go shopping so when I get cravings the choice isnt enormous and I just have to get on with it. I only buy snacks that Im not going to ever eat excessively because they are boring and not very morish, such as boring rice cakes without toppings and fresh fruit..

x

thanx superwoman, but I've tried that n I just end up walking to the shop at the top of our street :( I need more will power lol

This might sound a bit odd but, following up on Superwomans idea of "boring" snacks, who well do you know the people in the shop up the road? The reason I ask is, do you know them well enough to ask them to simply refuse to serve you with certain products? It might sound strange, and a little drastic, but it could work?

X

thanx superwoman, but I've tried that n I just end up walking to the shop at the top of our street :( I need more will power lol

Maybe some motivating image could help you fight those cravings. Image of something you want to look like to encourage healthy eating, or something you dont want to look like to put you off fatty foods. If you eat healthy and smaller meals but regularly, it should combat cravings most of the time.

awhile ago i read paul mckennas book 'i can make you thin' and found it really helpful for cravings.

his advice is really simple-only eat when you're hungry, only eat what you really fancy eating and eat very, very, very slowly. he goes into it in more detail and there are hypnosis activities to do but those three things are his main points.

i tried it but didn't think for one minute it would work. after about a week i noticed my attitude to food had changed and i started losing weight

unfortunately i've slipped back into my old habits and put weight on again so i'm going to have to re-read the book and start again.

good luck xxx

Hi there

Mindfulness is what I use. The thing that makes it so hard to resist a craving is two-fold: One, when you think of the food, you get a little 'hit' of how good it will be to eat it. That same warm fuzzy glow you get when you really do eat it, you get a little hit of that when you think of it, and that motivates you to want it. Two, if you refuse to let yourself have it, you will experiecne some discomfort or uneasiness. So it means tolerating that discomfort - and if you get comfort from the food, the discopmfort you feel by not eating it will (you've guessed it) make you want to eat food.

Mindfulness can be good because it lets you sit back and observe the cravings, and all those feelings come up. After a while the feelings start to feel less 'solid' and you become more convinced you can tolerate the discomfort, and the urges pass more quickly.

If that doesnt help, you might try drinking a lot more. Sweet drinks especially will kill the cravings for things like choccy and biccies. I also find having a nice rich cup of coffee with sweeteners helps.

Ross

I used to be really strict with my diet because I was obsessed with my body. I used to only eat for hunger and not for taste. I only ate what was good for me and what my body needed. I didnt even drink any alcohol for years because it is empty calories and simply not needed by the body. It was a boring life!!! But it shows that when you put your mind into something, follow a principle, adopt an attitude that becomes a way of life, the willpower is based on deeper principles than what one fancies to eat at the time. Mind you, I was getting so obsessed with that it was unhealthy in the end, but if you can follow a principle like that without beating youself up if you happen to slip at the odd occasion, and it doesnt start taking over your life, it could lead to a healthier lifestyle :)

thank you for all your tips :) some days i find it really easy and some days the complete opposite. Food shopping coming tonight and I've got loadsa fruit n veg so gonna make a fruit salad to keep in the fridge and carrot sticks etc for nibbling on. I can do it! I've got this far (lost 17lbs) need to drop my bmi by one more for an operation. Thank you all again, ur all fab!

Hey, this might sound completely weird, but I had to look after my diet due to doing a lot of competitive sports, yet sometimes all I wanted was chocolate. What helped me was a glass of pickled gherkins in the cupboard and whenever I craved chocolate I made myself eat a gherkin first. The taste made me forget about chocolate. Probably a bit drastic but I thought I'd share. I know it's about will power as well. Good luck, you've done great so far, you can take that extra mile!

You need to work out how to trick your brain a bit... my brother quit smoking recently after nearly 20 years, and just did it so easily, I'm very envious personally as I've found it so difficult.

He said he'd 'Derren Brown-ed' himself. The reason you crave the food so much is because you are telling yourself over and over that you aren't allowed to, which makes you want it even more. Instead find ways of reminding yourself of why you dont want to. I know it is alot easier said than done, but try and work out how you can trick your own brain!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this info will be of any use.

It take 26 days to form or break or habit. Scientist studying happiness (I might blog about that study it was really eye opening stuff)

But anyway, getting back to the point! They discovered it actually takes 26 days for the brain to form a new neuro pathway (quite technical stuff) But, they also said, it takes a further 3 months to consolidate it.

Now I've given up smoking a fair few times. Coincidently, it takes 26 days for the receptors to die off. After that it really is just in your mind. And I can vouch that it does take right about 3 months for you to stop thinking about it and just being'.

I am fact finding freak, I don't really know if this will help, but I pretty much apply it to everything I do, it seems to work out, and its nice to be able to place and end in sight isn't it! Like a relief is possible! lol xx

Archived