Mental Health Forums

Going Out

catsmother21

A few weeks ago, I managed to get myself back into a routine of going out to the supermarket every couple of days to do a small shop.

However, I've had a bit of a hiccupy time since then and I've gone back into my comfort zone of not going out and not wanting to go out. The supermarket is only about 4 mins from our front door and I'm sat here trying to psyche myself up into getting dressed and making a list and going there when it opens.

I'm scared of going - the anxiety is turning my stomach into a washing machine on full spin and I feel sick at the thought of it. I can't believe I've let myself slip this far back - AGAIN.

I have been pushing myself for the last couple of days to get stuff done in the house but it has been hard work and I really want to be able to do this today but I don't know if I can.

I can't even get dressed or make a list because I know that I'm starting the process of going there, when really all I want is to stay in the house and be safe.

What if you broke it down into really small steps? REALLY small steps. Sometimes that helps me - but not always. I have trouble doing things inside the house. ((((((((cats))))))))

Can you take something from the house with you? Like a favourite teddy or something that will fit in your bag/pocket? x

I don't have a teddy Roses - my mother gave my childhood teddy to my brother. It's a good idea but I can't think of something else.

Hi hun

Perhaps take it all in really small steps?

I also need to go to the shop this morning to pick up some bits but feeling my motivation is non existent right now.

We could do it together? :) I'm breaking it down for myself, get up and then dress myself, brush hair, get my boots on, listen to I-pod on my walk to the shops...

How about a treat for yourself once you get there as like a well done to yourself? I find that helps me - my treat is usually Heat magazine!

Big hugs to you hun, here if you need me x x

Hi hun

Perhaps take it all in really small steps?

I also need to go to the shop this morning to pick up some bits but feeling my motivation is non existent right now.

We could do it together? :) I'm breaking it down for myself, get up and then dress myself, brush hair, get my boots on, listen to I-pod on my walk to the shops...

How about a treat for yourself once you get there as like a well done to yourself? I find that helps me - my treat is usually Heat magazine!

Big hugs to you hun, here if you need me x x

You're so sweet - OK lets see if I can do this with you. Just going to have another coffee and a ciggie and then I will go and get dressed. xx

Ok lovely x

I'm just getting myself up, looking at what I would like to wear and then will go onto the next bit.

Remember as small steps as you would like! And don't forget the treat! :) I'm thinking - some form of chocolate for me this time! x

hi

i can so relate to those feelings bout going out, i seem to have such arguements in my head bout doing simple stuff like that if anyone could hear them they would think i was totally bonkers, you need to go, no i will go tomorrow, in 5 mins then ok then 10 mins, and on it goes. i find i have to make the decision to do something and stick with it ignore the voices the feelings and just be really firm with myself tell myself i can do it and yes break it down into really small steps and pat yourself on the back when you complete each step its like you really achieved something. well hope the fag and the coffee have given you the courage to get going so here goes, keep telling yourself you can do it and treat yourself while you out like pink said. let me know how it goes take care

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Pink Stars - I'm sorry for bailing on you with this morning, I hope that you've got to the shop and got what you needed. I am going to try again tomorrow cos it'll be too busy in the supermarket for me now.

Roses - will take a piccy of my hubby with me when I go and thanks for the idea.

:grouphug[1]: xxxx

((((MOMMA)))) Just remember that it is OKAY that we all have setbacks and relapses... Life isn't easy, but the relapses make us that much stronger. The fact that you've had setbacks before and have brought yourself back up shows that you CAN do it AGAIN... You are so strong and have so much will power that sometimes I think you just need to take a step back and breathe... I think we all get so overwhelmed when we have a relapse that we don't look at what kind of outcome we had the LAST time we had a relapse. I know you can do it, Momma, no doubt in my mind... Just do like everyone else has been suggesting and take baby steps... I think taking a picture of your hubby is a wonderful idea.... (((ROSES))) She always has great suggestions :rolleyes: I'm always here if you want to talk, Momma... I luv you! Just always remember a relapse doesn't mean all hope is lost... it's just a test to see how wonderfully strong you are! :hug2:

Well I abandoned this mission yesterday but I am just about to write a shopping list and see if I can do it today. We've run out of Crunchy Nutters for hubbys breakfast so even if I just get those I guess that's something?

Roses - got a piccy of hubby in handbag for when I go xx

Excellent! Sounds good. I am planning on going out too today *gulp*

doing school run (15 mins late though) and taking Alora to ballet lesson after. Hubbie is meeting us there in the getaway car so I don't have to stay and talk to any Mum's. Wish me luck and good luck to you! Take your MP3 or whatever with you too, it always works for me cos then no-one talks to you. xxx

I'll agree with Roses....always better to take MP3 player with you, or if you don't have 1, use your mobile phone and put the earphones in that came with them, listen to the radio. Then when you have time, a half decent phone and can be motivated, you can use or get a usb connector that matches your phone make, and copy your music to your phone (just in case you can get "Triggered" like i do by certain songs popping up.

Good luck for future ventures....are you sure you don't live near me.....then again, i'm only 2 mins from a supermarket!!lol

Archived