Mental Health Forums

Safe Foods

bellaboo

Hi im new to this, i had an ed for around 7yr started off with anorexia then developed bullimia which totally spun out of control. I sorted myself out for about a year and have curbed the bullimia completely, untill a recent relapse after having to go out for dinner which i hadnt done for 8month. makes me wonder if i will ever be able to go out with friends for special occasions as i always avoid this. i now have stomach and bowel problems really bad and struggle to eat without being uncomfortable (ibs)so there certain foods im intelorant too but there is only a handful of foods i feel safe with at the mo rice cakes peanut butter and apples...... i dance prof and cant eat during rehearsals partly down to this but also my stomach/bowel problems i wouldnt get through the 4 hours after lunch without cramp and wind but struggle too anyway due to low energy. Its all bit complecated and the ibs doesnt really help me to make head or tale of it. i think i thought it was sorted but am wondering if there will ever be a light at the end and i know im winding my boyfriend up who is incredibly supportive and the reason i took steps in the first place. any advice on the end steps towards the end would be greatful or is this forever....

:welcomeani: to the site.

I'm sorry I can't give you much advice on this, because I don't have alot of knowledge about eating disorders.

You obviously did very well in recoving the first time, so don't feel like a failur, anyone can suffer a relapse in any disorder they have.

I hope you can find some support and advice on the forum.

Wynter

x

Hi im new to this, i had an ed for around 7yr started off with anorexia then developed bullimia which totally spun out of control. I sorted myself out for about a year and have curbed the bullimia completely, untill a recent relapse after having to go out for dinner which i hadnt done for 8month. makes me wonder if i will ever be able to go out with friends for special occasions as i always avoid this. i now have stomach and bowel problems really bad and struggle to eat without being uncomfortable (ibs)so there certain foods im intelorant too but there is only a handful of foods i feel safe with at the mo rice cakes peanut butter and apples...... i dance prof and cant eat during rehearsals partly down to this but also my stomach/bowel problems i wouldnt get through the 4 hours after lunch without cramp and wind but struggle too anyway due to low energy. Its all bit complecated and the ibs doesnt really help me to make head or tale of it. i think i thought it was sorted but am wondering if there will ever be a light at the end and i know im winding my boyfriend up who is incredibly supportive and the reason i took steps in the first place. any advice on the end steps towards the end would be greatful or is this forever....

I am exactly the same, I have a safe food list which if I don't stick to then emotionally and physically I suffer. Because of years of Ed's I have stomach problems too. The only thing that has helped me is a medication called loperamide. It allows me to sometimes eat away from my safe list.

It doesn't work forever, so sometimes a break is needed after about a year and then go back on it. It's like a miracle drug to be honest.

You could discuss it with your doctor? Or I am assuming you haven't already but with ibs I imagine the gp has offered you medication already.

I live on toast, and poached eggs the majority of time. I can understand the fear when going for a meal and also the being unable to eat because of a situation but needing to for the energy to do something! It a double edged sword and not one easy to deal with.

If you haven't tried already ask for loperamide, and see if that helps, if it does it may mean that you can introduce something new into your diet and if you don't want to add new food then at least it may relieve some of the anxiety related to the ed/ibs.

Thanks for replying good to hear from someone who is in the same position as i have never spoken to anyone who has gone going through similar things. I take lansraprozole which help with reflux. do these tablets you take deal with anxiety too. I find it hard to go to the doctor as they are really dismissing and have no answers for these problems they just say there nothing they can do. Feel bit like im stuck in limbo between wanting to be healthy but not wanting to let go of the ed and then finding it hard to anyway due to stomach discomfort etc. .. I still feel uncomfortable in my own skin and can't seem to get a sense of control over things in life. Take care and thanks for advice

hi bellaboo, i also have an ed. im ana/mia, and have been for nearly two years. because of my purging, i also have stomach problems and keeping food down. i dont take any pills to help me with my ed, as i am not ready to recover, but i am happy that you are trying to get better. i know a sister site to one of my ana/mia sites i go to which is called recoveryfriends.

http://www.recoveryfriends.org/

havent used it myself, but the people in the sister sites are every supportive in trying to help you get better.

i posted the link in case you decide to check it out.

i think you have to go through google to find it.

wish you all the best tc xx

Thanks for replying good to hear from someone who is in the same position as i have never spoken to anyone who has gone going through similar things. I take lansraprozole which help with reflux. do these tablets you take deal with anxiety too. I find it hard to go to the doctor as they are really dismissing and have no answers for these problems they just say there nothing they can do. Feel bit like im stuck in limbo between wanting to be healthy but not wanting to let go of the ed and then finding it hard to anyway due to stomach discomfort etc. .. I still feel uncomfortable in my own skin and can't seem to get a sense of control over things in life. Take care and thanks for advice

Hi,

No, unfortunately they don't specifically help with the anxiety, although they are designed to ease the symptoms of ibs/stomach problems. They would basically clear up your stomach upsets. Which in turn would help with your anxiety I am guessing. The anxiety makes it all so much worse.

With the doctor, just ask out right for loperamide, say they were suggested for ibs (They are a very mild tablet, only 2mg in each one - I only take one a day, your gp shouldn't be against them as they are so mild) I know some people find it hard to just tell the gp what you want (I thought everyone did what I do and just say "May I have this please" but someone told me different the other day) you can say as much or as little as you choose. As you are on reflux meds I should think they won't have a problem with these meds too.

I desperately keep hold of my ed, for the control and fear of weight gain, but mostly for control. I feel uncomfortable in my own skin too, never have felt right in my body. I am so sorry that you feel like this. It's so hard.

x

Thankyou, ill try it, assertiveness will help. So you dont have to explain why just ask for them. It is hard i cant imagine ever being free of my thoughts or how i judge my body or food, i guess its about not letting it stop you from doing things you wanna do by letting it consume your mind which is hadr and harder at different times. I wish you all the best and appreciate your advice. x

hi there!

I had anorexia on and off since i was about 12, I'm 34 now.

when i went through recovery and started to eat again i had terrible IBS. All food brought on stomach cramps. I had to eat little and often. Now i can eat pretty much whatever i want, within reason. I think it juts takes a long time for your stomach to get used to food and you have to be careful which types to eat first.

It takes time. You have had an eating disorder for a long time and seem to be doing really well. It takes a long tie for your body to recover, so I think the main word here is time.

Hope this helped a bit

Ingrid

Thankyou for reply. How long did you have ibs for? I've had it for bout 4yrs now it is better was unbearable before. I don't really feel like im doing well still trapped which makes ibs worse and don't really wanna eat at all ill keep trying x

Archived