Mental Health Forums

How Do You Know?

abee.abee1991

Okay this is going to sound like a silly question..

BUT

How do you know when the meds are working for you??

You would think it is simple of just 'feeling' better but what happens if that is just a 'good' day and all the pain will be back again soon?

What about if you feel 'numb' is that the meds or is that just you?

So many questions yet so little do I know!

Hi, meds can make you feel kinda numb especially the mood stabilisers and major tranqs but having a break from the pain is sometimes needed in order to rest your brain and body and give you time to actually see real healing hun. For me, the meds are working when I don't run away and OD, when the SH lessens (not disappears) and when I can manage to eat small meals and sit still and concentrate on things for more than a few minutes. When I pick up a brush or a book or sit down at the piano that is when I am starting to come out of the pit of hell that is my illness.

Its not about all of a sudden having happy thoughts and skipping off down the road to Oz, it's about slow and steady improvements that you may not even notice at first. Like, being able to ask for help, or realising the difference between a good or bad day Or even having a good day in itself can be such a step forward hun. x

Archived