Mental Health Forums

Dreading Xmas

6of9

Hi all,

Maybe it's just me...but I'm dreading xmas. So much pressure to be 'happy' and 'jolly' etc etc...all those cliche xmas demands that are thrust upon us because it's 'social convention' and all that crap. I've spent the last few xmas days/boxing days with my sis/bro-in-law/niece. This year, I already know I just want to drink or medicate and be alseep through the whole of xmas day and boxing day. How sad am I? I thought I was going to spend xmas with a beautiful woman who I loved...and then it all fell apart.

This sums it up for me...the cynicism of xmas and all it brings:

Xmas truth

Tell me I'm not alone...please.

ooops...mods, posted this twice...can you remove one of the posts? Thanks

Christmas is definitely over rated.. and no wonder Santa clause can afford a present for every kid on the planet with the prices he charges us for the kid's to see him.. :-)

i understand there- i dont celebrate xmas nor do i name it christmas. in me and my family we name it ' sh*tscram in anagrams. the reason we dread xmas is cos something always goes wrong- loosing our grandma, then neighbour etc

i dont celebrate xmas either - but i am lucky, none of my family do - me, mum and bro always go abroad on hol to escape the 5 days of madness...

i used to like it when i lived in HK, it wasnt so in your face at all... here it starts in October :(

I'm really dreading xmas too.

The thing is that I would love it, if I had someone to share it with.... it seems that every year at xmas I am single, this year is the same.I was with someone and we had made great plans for a fantastic time, booking a cottage in the west country so we could have some time alone together.....

Now it seems like it will be xmas day at my mums again..... no way ! I will not be doing that this year anything but that!

I'm really dreading xmas too.

The thing is that I would love it, if I had someone to share it with.... it seems that every year at xmas I am single, this year is the same.I was with someone and we had made great plans for a fantastic time, booking a cottage in the west country so we could have some time alone together.....

Now it seems like it will be xmas day at my mums again..... no way ! I will not be doing that this year anything but that!

Thats so true, its the people you spend it with who make it special. My ideal xmas would be spent with my family; my parents, siblings and nephews and nieces...Kids make it extra special, they get so excited and its all magical for them.. :)

I used to be like a child every year. I absolutely loved Christmas and birthdays. Basically any reason for celebration and I was all over it!

But it changed back in 2006/7 during the dark years. I went from being a child to hating it so much but I hid it for the sake of my family.

This year I was honest and had a low key birthday and I actually enjoyed it again and I'm feeling more positive about Christmas too. We will do as we have done the last few years - lock the doors Xmas Eve and no-one in or out until we are on the other side. So yeah, I'm actually excited and looking forward to it.

So it can change x

I am hoping that I will be working Christmas day, that would be wonderful! I think the plans are to spend the day with my parents and brother, mum always drinks to much and acts so stupid and my brother and dad end up fighting - they all expect me to be happy but that day just brings me down and it doesn't help that to see reminders in shop windows already!

I'm a newlywed and I'm still dreading Christmas!

It just reminds me of everyone who isn't there any more to celebrate, like family members who have died, or those who have had arguments etc.

And everyone spends so much money they don't have on things people don't even want.

If I could take a few Zopiclone and sleep through the whole day I would!

?I can't wait until it's over. The only good thing about it is a day off work!

I dread christmas every year for all the same reasons.

Too much shopping

too much pressure

Too much playing happy families

Dinner never as we realy want it

people complaining about what they got

pepple complaining about what they didn't get...

recieving useless gifts just for the sake of it!

The war between my husband and I to get the best or most gifts for each other...

Decorating

undecorating

The farce of Santa Clause

The fact it's nothing to do with Christ anyway!

but then i can look at and list what is actually good about it too.

Once a year the family actually get together (Good or bad, it's still a fact that we see each other at this time)

Kids enjoy the decorations

Sometimes get a pleasant surprise gift.

I like Carols by candle light.

Am reminded to give to and love others.

get a christmas card collection.

have done church drama's in the past which can be stressful but usually fun in the end. (Doesnt' really happen any more since I don't go to church much, but can reflect on and remember them)

Usually there are photo's taken which are good to look back on and see how the kids have grown.

It's a holiday!

the cooking can be fun sometimes.

the desserts are soooo excellent

It's one time of year I have a glass of wine.

Christmas specials on TV bring back pleasant childhood memories

it only happens once a year!

WP

I think we should all stop feeling sorry for ourselves at this time of year.

It could be worse! You could be homeless, or completely alone with no family/no friends/no home/no internet to rant on.

So before you start moaning about how the past few xmas's you've spent it with family and been unhappy, perhaps you should think of the people with nothing and realise how lucky you actually are.

I know depression sucks and makes people dwell on their issues, it does to all of us, but be greatful for what you have got. Because one day you might lose it all and be the homeless person with nothing; and you'll kick yourself for not taking advantage of what you had when you had it.

I've always liked Christmas, but yeah it's hard...i usually feel hope at Christmas, but i also feel really sad...don't know why..

it's very difficult, but i try not to worry too much, try to enjoy the spirit... symbolical of course..i don't mean Santa...but It's the only time of the year that (some)people believe that they have to be nice and they get happy and they are always in a good mood...you don't have to be happy, just feel in air that somewhere there's someone caring, and maybe this Christmas someone will care for you (even if it's not family, coz it isn't for me, maybe some friends, maybe your best friend, maybe your friend from the web)...it's Hope...to hope for something good...that is what Christmas is for me...=D

hugs

Archived