Mental Health Forums

Clozapine And Risperidone

ILostHer

My psych has written me a prescription for Clozapine and risperidone and my HT person is cashing (Can't think of the word) in the prescription to give to me.

Why would they want me on two anti psychotics at once? And isn't clozapine for schizophrenia? App it not used for anything else?

Plus, what happens if I refuse? I can't even take my new anti biotics let alone two new sets of pills, getting visits left right and centre and am worried about them claiming me an unfit mum.

Can you ask your psych why this was prescribed to you?There might be good reasons. Did he/she not explain?I believe you have a right to proper info,its your body and your health.

Lilly

i am on risperidone which is also meant for schizophrenics because i was having auditory hallucinations. it is also known for stopping self harm. I googled clozapine which is also meant for schizophrenics so i don't understand either why your pdoc has given you both. As Lilly said maybe you should ask at your next appointment.

do you have pshycotic symptons?

i hope you find the help you need.

love starry x

Thank you both for replying x

Starry, Yeah I have psychosis and voices/alters that tell me to do things to myself including self harm and sort of body altering things. Starry, do you have weight gain with risperidone? I have an eating disorder and fear of weight gain and also do you worry about side affects? (Hope you don't mind me asking)

Lilly, the psych hasn't actually spoken to me, this was arranged through my pysch, therapist and cpn. The home treatment woman came to my place today and I asked her if I had to chose between the two drugs and she said no, they are to be had in combination together. I didn't ask anything else because I never do. But tomorrow I see my cpn at 4pm so I will ask outright why I need two drugs, and what is wrong with me. I feel all brave now so I hope I don't chicken out tomorrow. I tend to do as I am told.

Thank you xxx

hi

Yes i did gain weight with risperidone and when i cut down from 4mg to 2mg i lost 5 kilos.

the thing i read about anti pshycotics is that they make you eat more because they repress the part of the brain that tells you when you are full.does your therapist know that you have an ED?try eating smaller portions on small plates and fill up on lentils, brown rice etc which won't make you put on weight. also try to avoid snacking and make sure you exercise if you can, even going for a brisk walk for half an hour.

be brave and ask questions about your meds.its us that takes them not the pdocs.

hope it goes well this afternoon.

starry x

I was on risperidone for a few years, I also put a little weight arond my belly, but nothing to bad, its much worse with olanzapine witch is what I'm on now.

But I had very bad side effects from risperidone,my legs would seize up completely when I would try to walk any distance. But if you get any trouble with you legs, try asking your dr. if Procyclidine, it really helps me.

marc xxx 

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yeah they know about my ed, I live on between 200 and 400 cals a day so the HT man said that the risperidone will make me feel hungrier but not automatically put weight on. I made him promise me that what he said was true.

I actually agreed, so there is someone coming out on Saturday to give me the tablet (They say they know I won't take it otherwise)and every day after that for two weeks. I got it wrong about the other one, the ht woman wrote the wrong med down and they have given me Clonazepam which is for the panic disorder. I agreed to that but only a trial.

Thanks for sharing your experiences both of you, I am such a wimp with side affects, a bit obsessed really, so it helps to know what others found.

xxx

• 2 months later...

Archived