Mental Health Forums

Im Weird But This Is Bothering Me

jessicarabbit

Ok I guess people will think this is weird. It is probably why I can not verbalise it anywhere, not my other half or to my therapy group. No one.

Its toilet paper. It bugs me. It is not hygienic. It is just in paper or plastic from a factory right through to my loo roll holder. But then it is hanging on the holder. How is that sterile? For somewhere so intimate it seems wrong. And don't get me started on the toilet roll in public places! I know it seems weird but its becoming an issue to me. I hate using public toilets but at times needs must and I hate using the toilet roll! I do not understand why or anything but is this just me being odd?

I don't think it's odd at all. We all have our "things" that we like or dislike. I have a friend who won't ever sit on public toilet seats cos she says they are gross and unhygienic and personally I teach my kids to wipe it with loo roll before they sit down on a public toilet, or to line the seat with loo roll if it is really gross. Public loos are by and large disgusting in England, especially at bus stations!

I think it would be a problem if this was keeping you awake at night or you were obsessing about it. A healthy dislike for something that is (at the end of the day) quite gross at times, is normal.

Toilet paper is not sterile, but then there is very little that is sterile. But there is probably more bacteria in your car or on your keyboard than on your clean toilet paper.

I can understand your problem with it, though.

Thank you Roses. Public toilets are gross. No I am not obsessing about it to the extreme of it keeping me awake just aware that I really find toilet roll unhygienic. I suppose that actually I could be making more out of this than necessary. I think you have helped me see that in a few seconds that it is ok to find things weird or dislike them. I tend to over-analyse things in my head at times!

I always carry around the alcohol gel that you can buy in the shops. Always wash my hands with it after touching something. Not to extremes.

I'm so glad it has helped. Sometimes we just need someone to reassure us that we are feeling is OK and normal. I end up so confused sometimes that I don't know what is normal or not and I'm glad that in this instance I have managed to help you. xxx

Hi

I am the same,I hate using public toilets most are disgusting,I always carry my own tissue with me,Some people are so GROSS and i would hate to see what their homes are like,It makes me sick when you see shit around a seat :( seriously it is GROSS,I try to avoid public toilets the best i can.

I used to be like this with toilet roll but then I made a point of using it, asking myself if i got anxious - what exactly do you expect to happen? also your 'intimate' parts aren't any more likely to be affected by a piece of tissue than, say, your arm will be.

ie. its fineeeee

easier said than done i know. :)

elle -x-

Hmm...the toilet paper itself never bothered me...but I've thought about the container that holds the toilet paper...how clean is it? And don't even get me started on toilet seats. I never sit down, unless the seat is covered in about 50 pieces of toilet paper. The floor around the toilet bothers me, too. Whatever is on the floor gets on the bottom of your shoes, and then you track it into your car, where you put your purse...but I'll admit I have a bit of a germ problem, a bit of an obsessive-compulsive streak. See, you're much more normal than I am!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you appreciated the support that you got from this post, jessicarabbit. It would have been easy for me to write a malicious, unsympathetic, judgemental or generally unhelpful reply to your post. However, I didn't.. because I think it would have been wrong of me, its not what this forum should be about. But its deeper than that. Why would I want to attack or judge you? I have loads of failings myself. I should be trying to help other people, offer them my love and care, see the good in them. Thats what I try to do. And thats what others have done here, and hope you have benefitted from their kind and supportive nature.

urghhhh I cant stand toilet floors, although its not something i think about daily lol, toilet floors public ones are in my eyes worse than the toilet itself, im not sure why tho lol

i have an issue with the way toilet paper faces, like i have to have it coming over, not under if you know what i mean... weirds me out if it pulls under

I hope you appreciated the support that you got from this post, jessicarabbit. It would have been easy for me to write a malicious, unsympathetic, judgemental or generally unhelpful reply to your post. However, I didn't.. because I think it would have been wrong of me, its not what this forum should be about. But its deeper than that. Why would I want to attack or judge you? I have loads of failings myself. I should be trying to help other people, offer them my love and care, see the good in them. Thats what I try to do. And thats what others have done here, and hope you have benefitted from their kind and supportive nature.

what does this mean?I don't quite understand.

i have an issue with the way toilet paper faces, like i have to have it coming over, not under if you know what i mean... weirds me out if it pulls under

I am like this i have the loo roll a certain way.I don't use public toilets either.

what does this mean?I don't quite understand.

I don't understand it either, flora bell. I just assumed it was between Data and jessicarabbit.

Archived