Mental Health Forums

A Brave Move

jane58

I have made a really huge step forward and have given my therapist a carrier bag full of old drugs that I no longer take - this was my secret stash, my security blanket (dx chronic recurrent depressive disorder, BP and BPD) so some seriously nasty stuff in there.

I feel relieved but also very panicky about it - what would I do if I wanted it and now Ive given it away ? But I guess that stuff to work through - the important thing was deciding myself to get rid of them.

Am now making a list of things I want to put in a crisis box for 'just in case'. On the list so far :

Lavendar bubble bath

baby talcum powder

my happiness kit (present from my daughter)

BIG bar of Galaxy

Sudoku book

New paperback that Ive not yet read

Hot water bottle

Any suggestions ?

Jane

Hi Jane

A huge well done for handing over your stash. It will feel a bit strange for a while not having it there but I hope that you get used to it not being there for you - you are going in the right direction.

I love the idea of having a crisis box and all the things that you've put in it. Perhaps you could also put some of your favourite moisturiser and perfume in there, and your favourite colour nail varnish to paint your nails and toes and how about a nice face mask as well. I do cross stitch which really helps with my anxiety so if I had one I would definitely put that in there - in fact I think I am going to steal your idea if that is OK and make up a crisis box myself.

I have got something a bit similar which I call my Happy Memories box which has cards, photos and letters in which all bring a smile to my face perhaps you could put something like this in your crisis box as well.

I think it's really sweet that your daughter gave you a happiness kit as well.

Stay strong and lots of hugs xxxx

Jane,

Alot of people have written under "my crisis plan" there are really good ideas in there you could add to your box. Also, you should be really proud to get rid of your stash, it shows your courage and strength.

Sah

Well done. I know how hard it is because I did it too a few months ago. What I didn't do however, is make a crisis box like you have. I failed and built up a new stash and took to cutting again - that was because I had nothing to do in those times I would've used extra meds. I'm going to make myself a box like yours to use when I'm struggling with urges to self harm or medicate. Thank you. You have inspired me to try again.

• 2 weeks later...

Jane well done you, what a massive step forward you should be really proud of yourself, i know from experience how difficult these things can be.

Love the idea of your list, think you got everything you will need. well done again hun xx

Did the same thing a few weeks ago, and this crisis box thing sounds like a goos idea. Anyone actually tried using it when they are down? Although the security of having tablets feels much more reassuring, I'm hoping that after giving them away voluntarily the first time it makes it easier when you need to do it again.

Archived