Mental Health Forums

1St Appointment - Any Advice?

black heart

Hi all

I have my first appointment with psychiatrist tomorrow...

I asked my GP for this appointment, after discussing manic depression with my GP...

Can anyone advise me what to expect?

I suffer from anxiety and as you can imagine

Thank you in advance x

Hi hun :)

Hope you are ok - Firstly - well done for getting the appointment!

Um, when i first met with my psyc it was really just a general chat: he asked about my history, and just asked questions in general about my past. Just be honest about how you are doing, how you are feeling - remember, they are there to help you and are there to help make your life much better and easier.

That prob didnt help much

Please dont worry about it too much - you'll be fine once you start talking im sure :)

love and cuddles xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

like heffalump said you have done really well just getting the apointment, just follow all heffalumps advice coz shes right

don't expect the psychiatrist to have read your notes or anything like that, some obviously have but when I went to see therapists for the first time i was always shocked that they didnt seem to know anything about me even tho they had my notes right there, it made me feel like i wasnt important. but now I think thats probably coz there isnt much gap between apointments so they dont have time to check theyve remembered everything right, everyone they see is different but they are also alike in lots of ways too. its better to ask you than risk getting it wrong.

like heffalump said you have done really well just getting the apointment, just follow all heffalumps advice coz shes right

don't expect the psychiatrist to have read your notes or anything like that, some obviously have but when I went to see therapists for the first time i was always shocked that they didnt seem to know anything about me even tho they had my notes right there, it made me feel like i wasnt important. but now I think thats probably coz there isnt much gap between apointments so they dont have time to check theyve remembered everything right, everyone they see is different but they are also alike in lots of ways too. its better to ask you than risk getting it wrong.

Aw hun - thankyou... *shucks*

Hope it goes well for you huuny... let us know how it goes

xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Black Heart

I always advise people to write something down before you go. Include things like how you feel on a daily basis and the thoughts that go through your head; your behaviours and reactions to situations; how you're moods and emotions are and also write down any questions that you want to ask them because I used to come out of the appt all the time thinking, 'oh I forgot to ask that'. My psychiatrist always appreciates me doing this for my appts because the more that she knows the more she can help me. Basically, be totally honest and even if you think there is something that doesn't seem that important still mention it.

The psychiatrist will probably ask you about all of the above and family history.

I really do hope that it goes well for you and let us know how you get on.

Hugs xxxx

Good luck!!

Try not to worry about it too much. Easier said than done, I know. But seriously, the thought is far worse than the reality.

The first appointment is likely to be a kind of assessment. They want to understand what problems you are having so they can work out how to help. The psychiatrist will very much lead the appointment by asking you questions. You don't really need to prepare too much for that. If you want to write a list of the key problems to hand over, that might help get things started and make sure you remember the important things. But anything you forget to mention can be raised later anyway so it's not a huge problem if you miss anything out.

A bit late in the day but hope your appointment goes (or has gone well) for me the thought of going was the worst bit, when I got there I just rabbited on, psychiatrist asked things that I expected but there were things that suprised me but I gave myself a pat on the back for going.

hey you all,

firstly thank you so much for taking the time out to reply, and for your kind reassuring words, also apologies for taking so long to reply

I had myself so worked up i dont know WHAT dragons and monsters i was expecting!

The dr was nice, the room wasnt at all clinical or ott

she did just ask basic questions, but very quickly realised that there are a looooot of issues that need addressing before we can get anywhere, which means trudging through my past. I found this appointment really tough some of the things that came up were triggers

it was hard thats all i'll say

she has put me on meds that have me sleepin

and its a start.i have a long way to go, but at times realising that im on the first step of the ladder to getting better which can only mean good times

lots of love to you all

thanks x

Hi there

I'm glad that the appointment went better than you expected and that you are now getting some sleep which will help enormously with your MH issues. Well done for going :) xx

i'm really glad the apointment wasnt too bad and that the doctor was nice, that can really make a difference

I hope the sleeping tablets work xxx

thanks all

she put me on mirtazapine

which has had instant effects, im eating and sleeping

but its taking me forever to wake up properly and by the time i do, its time to take meds again

i feel like im just going through the motions right now, i feel very numb. its not desired i suppose, but it helps because some of the issues that came up were painful and the new meds mean that i dont have to deal with it until my next appointment. she seems eager to see me again i dont know what that means, but she did say it seemed like i had been in limbo for years - its taken me too long to get here.

i cant thank you all enough for your support, no one in my reality seems to understand where i come from, its hard to explain that this isnt a phase, its not a mood, its something im living with every second, and something we all on here live with. i dont want to be like this, but i never thought it would be so hard to find some understanding

thanks again im truly humbled by your love and support

yasmin x

Archived