Mental Health Forums

New Year's Resolutions

bena.baby

Hey, know it's only xmas, but I've been thinking about what I want for the new year, and was wondering what other people's resolutions are. In the past, I've made impossible or punishing resolutions - stuff like "I'll do exercise every day" or "I'll stop being an idiot all the time" so this year I want to be realistic. My resolution is to try to be open and honest about things. This affects so much of my life. I'm so ashamed about who I am that I lie constantly - about how I feel, or what I want, or who I am. I really want to change that as I think that it is really holding me back.

I have another smaller resolution, which is to talk about "I" more than "we". I do almost everything with my boyfriend, so if someone asks what I've been up to, I'm always saying "oh we went out on Friday" or "we've been decorating". I want to stop doing this cos I am a bit scared of letting my own identity get too wrapped up in my boyfriend. That one shouldn't be so difficult, I hope!

What are other people planning to do to make their life better and happier in 2011?

Hi Esme

I really like these resolutions that you will be making for next year, especially the one about having your own identity which I think is very healthy.

I wish you lots of luck.

I have no idea what resolutions to make, if I will be making any at all but will come back to this if I have a flash of inspiration :)

Hugs xxxx

i agree with cat...your own identity is a healthy resoloution to have:-)

for me i dont have any personal ones yet..but i would like to learn to drive

this year.

xx

Hi Esme, I love the sound of your resolutions.

Mine is to try and have people in my life who treat me as I treat them and who are good to/for me.

This year I have realised I had lots of people around me who were supposed to be 'friends' and either used me, treated me badly, only contacted me when they wanted something or were bored....

I started cutting these people out of my life a-few months back now my resolution is to continue doing this and to surround myself with people who treat me well

Hi Esme, I love the sound of your resolutions.

Mine is to try and have people in my life who treat me as I treat them and who are good to/for me.

This year I have realised I had lots of people around me who were supposed to be 'friends' and either used me, treated me badly, only contacted me when they wanted something or were bored....

I started cutting these people out of my life a-few months back now my resolution is to continue doing this and to surround myself with people who treat me well

Awwww I've run out of plus points again but I really like the sound of this - well done you - you're such a sweetheart and you deserve to have people around you who treat you well and love you xx

I'm loving seeing the resolutions everyone's shared so far - all sound really positive, and perfectly doable too (Which tends to help!! lol) And I wish you all the luck in the world with them.

I tend to go overboard on resolutions & then beat myself up when i don't reach the unattainable goals that i've set myself (doh!), so this year I'm gunna go a little easier on myself & just have the one - to stop smoking.

xxxxx

my new years .... to stop sitting about in this new house thinking its not mine .... to put my stamp on it and make this our home for me and D :)

cutting the sugar out and taking my meds ... thats enough lol

and most of all wishing everyone a new year of healing and posibilities xoxo goals xoxo and hope ((((hugs)))) to all xoxoxo

Jelly that's brilliant!! I have been making my new house a home and I know what you mean about it not really being yours til you've got a stamp on it....happy decorating!!

My new year resolutions are to finish all the things i started that I want to continue and drop all the things that have not grown as they should..... I am going to have a soul garden and the seeds I am planting now will hopefully bloom in spring and summer..... the dead weeds and dying plants that didn't grow are getting turfed out!!

My lifetime resolution (as life and death always seem so close) is to see many, many more seasons ahead xxxx

My plan for 2011 is to try and rediscover what i enjoy and to get more involved in social situations rather then hiding away.

Aurora :)

my resolutions

pass as many of my courses as i can

look into that dance class

try to make at least 1 new friend

not take so many painkillers

not spend so much money on clothes

try not to get upset all the time but this is about trying

god you all have such great resolutions ,mine seem so futile! Mine seem so boring in comparison lol mine are to continue to eat healthily and to continue swimming/gym to have a healthier lifestyle. trying not to focus it all on loosing weight as a i tend to fail lol. if its a lifestyle change then i might succeed!!

my other resolution is to stop smoking - ive made a promise to the mr that if he comes to the gym with me this year and gets himself healthier then ill stop smoking! his diet was worse than mine,and hes nearly 30. i think its smart to get our health in order now before we have kids etc.

good luck to everyone!! xxx

aww ty ,

yeah started slowly reducing the crap we eat and having healthier meals etc, i just need to convince the mr to come with me to the gym lol xxx

Hey esme, can you make it a resolution to tell me whether or not you have discarded my books? The not knowing and not being able to PM you is very frustrating and unless you want me to feel that way then pls just let me know are they in the bin or can i send you my new address and you send them? Or just tell me the titles because in my generosity last year I lent out ALOT of books to people that I thought they would benefit from.

These are all great and acheviable. Mine is to create more work so i can afford to travel. And to buck upvthe courage to play my songs in public rather than just recorded ahhhhhh. Good luck everyone!!!! X

My resolution is to continue my university work as best as I can.

I don't like making too many long term goals, because I find I just set myself up for failure. I prefer short term goals, things I will promise to do this week or this month at the latest. I have a list of those and am steadily working through them.

Hiyaz, this is a cool topic, i took a little inspiration from it, thanks.

I love all of your ideas - sancts 'soul garden'- thats wonderful , sanctuary. Good luck to the soon to be non smokers / drinkers too.

Pink your one is great too, and gave me some food for tjought, as did yours Aurora (i would love to do that too), and i wish youse the best of luck with them.

Emma i wish you luck too, and greeneyedgirl- the gym/ exercise is really good for depression / anxiety too, as well as keeping in shape.

Esme great thread and i wish you ALL the best for the year ahead, all your resolutions are wonderful.

I want to trace my birthmother this year. I am just gone 40, so my mum would be around 58-60 now.

Of course i have a fantasy picture of brothers and sisters and all that jazz, but im also aware of the possible rejection involved.

For the first time i feel 'mature' enuff to try do this. I mean, if she dosen't want to know, well, I have not really lost anything.

A.m x

Archived