Mental Health Forums

Irlen Syndrome

bellaboo

Anybody else suffer wirh irlen syndrome its not a mental illness but u believe the nature of it can lead to ocd eds etc... Basically it means the brain doesnt process light properly so you get distortions in ya visuon like colours shapes flashing etc... And when reafing words jump and melt of the page i have had it since i was 8 along with epilipsy which is now gone but was not diagnosed with irlen till my 20s it makes me confused adgitated nauseas and i have moid swings and ocd have to follow certain routines things must be in place and i had an ed bullimia/anorexia for which im better but still battling. I have found copung stratergies growing whilst learning and now as a freelance lecturer/dancer but its hard and have never meet anyone with same problem. I have ibs and wondered if thats connected too like ab anxiety thing. Anyone out there relate to this?x

ive never heard of it, very interesting tho, i often see patterns in words and sometimes when i read from a book it distracts me, dont think it is this tho, must be distracting xx

used to teach a child with this

it affected her reading so her learning too

she was given glasses with a certain colour lense to help the colour/contrast problems

dont know how it developed

she was about 8 when diagnosed/knew her - dont know if it developed into other probs but the colour filters def helped a lot with the visual problems

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i have this- its linked with my Dyslexia. I have a blue coloured overlay so that i can read writing that is on white paper.

xx

• 3 weeks later...

Archived