Mental Health Forums

Temazepam

lauraw2693

I've been taking Temazepam for about a year on and off to help me sleep, I was given 20mg tablets when I was "in crisis" last year but because I've been on quite a lot of other meds & take Diazepam sometimes too my doctor told me to only use 10mg if I can, although I am allowed to double it if I need to. I took 20mg a couple of weeks back and again last night but was still up most the night both times, I'm just really irritable today because I'm so tired but it's worrying me slightly they don't seem to be knocking me out any more - I tend to only take them once every few weeks if that so I wouldn't have thought I could be building a tolerance up to them - anyone else had this problem with them? I'm tempted to just drink or something worse to knock myself out at the moment so I'm getting quite desperate, I'm so tired and it's affecting everything else :blink:

hey hun

i was on temazepam a while back, but was told to take every night, so i built up a tolerance, pretty quick so i was swopped to zopliclone.

hugs hun

cad

I have them too, 14 a month. But i do have to try and have a three or four month break from time to time, else they don't help me either. x

I've only really had a few prescriptions (like 14 pills at a time) in a year so I don't take them that often, I just don't get why 20mg won't knock me out, it used to pretty much straight away, I guess I'm on different meds now but wouldn't have thought that would have this much impact? Maybe I should ask about trying a different sleeping tablet if this continues.. x

I am shocked then, that they don't knock you out. years back, I had them occasionally, they always knocked me out then. its only since they have become a regular part of my daily meds I have found they lose their effectiveness. Perhaps the doc could try you with another type of valium? that may work.

I do know, much of it depends on weight, the less you weight, the less you need, at 7 stone they hit me with far more power than they do now at 10 stone x

Yeah I take small doses of Diazepam occasionally too.. I guess that would make sense, I weigh a bit more than that, although when you used to knock me out I was heavier than I am now. What dose usually knocked you out? I've gone with drink tonight instead :blink: x

hey hun

i was on temazepam a while back, but was told to take every night, so i built up a tolerance

I was on it fresh out of H once and the same thing happened to me as Cad. So, I got off it. It was so short lived, it barely helped to deal with the sleepnessness.

Sah

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN TAKING BENZODIAZEPINES AND Z-DRUGS REGULARLY - DON'T SUDDENLY STOP THEM, AS THEY COULD CAUSE SEIZURES AND POSSIBLY BE LIFE THREATENING, DEPENDING ON DOSE

I dont mean to scare you, but taking benzos like temazepam and diazepam for more than a couple of weeks could mean you have formed a dependency.

The same applies to z-drugs too, like zopiclone etc, as they are related.

Doctors are ignorant of the dangers of these drugs.

Please see www.bataid.org for further information.

BATAID (Battle Against Tranquilisers) or BAT for short is an organisation run by ex benzo addicts, who offer postgraduate training for GP's.

BAT is the only organisation of its kind in the uk.

Please call their helpline, if you are affected. If you get an answerfone, please leave a message, your call will be returned.

The helpline number is 0844 8269317

I am posting this as a valium addict myself, and would hate to see anyone have to go through what I went through. I was on 15mg valium and am now on 5.75mg. I cut my dose by 0.25mg every three weeks.

I guess I'll have to take it even less often to get any effect, or ask about trying something else instead :unsure:

How often do you take benzos, like diaz or temaz?

How long do you take them for?

I just dont want you to have formed a dependency

Lucyloo

I am shocked then, that they don't knock you out. years back, I had them occasionally, they always knocked me out then. its only since they have become a regular part of my daily meds I have found they lose their effectiveness. Perhaps the doc could try you with another type of valium? that may work.

I do know, much of it depends on weight, the less you weight, the less you need, at 7 stone they hit me with far more power than they do now at 10 stone x

How long have you been taking benzos daily for?

It may be that you have formed a dependency.

I am writing this because I am concerned, and not to scare you.

I do not want you to get horrible withdrawal symptoms.

If you have taken them daily for a long time, and you keep starting and stopping them, this could make withdrawal symptoms very bad.

I just want you to be aware of the risks, because I found out, to my expense, that doctors are very ignorant on the real dangers of benzo addiction.

Hey thanks for the warning.. I do only take them every now and then, probably temazepam every 3 or 4 weeks (10 or 20mg) just when I get desperate for some sleep and diazepam just when I need it, I don't know maybe five ish 2mg tablets a week so only a very low dose of that.. Is that enough to have built up a tolerance? I do try and take them as little as possible, I just don't get why the last couple of temazepams haven't knocked me out :unsure: I was only prescribed them about this time last year & have never taken them more frequently than this..xx

My next door neighbour years back, was addicted to them! So I was very aware of the dangers, although I didn't know the connection to seizures. I am prescribed, 10mg tabs, 14 each month. But, I needed to take two nowdays to get the same effects from them. I have been using them for 2 years, I ensure I have breaks from them, at least two months at a time, sometimes longer, if life isn't too painful. I have not had any side effects from withdrawing, at any time........so far. I will look into this, as I do like to know what I am putting into my body, I have been close to being an addict, booze twice, speed once, so know how easy it is to slide and how tough it is, to pull my self back.

thank you for the warning, you haven't scared me, I am grateful for the advice

lucy x

Hey thanks for the warning.. I do only take them every now and then, probably temazepam every 3 or 4 weeks (10 or 20mg) just when I get desperate for some sleep and diazepam just when I need it, I don't know maybe five ish 2mg tablets a week so only a very low dose of that.. Is that enough to have built up a tolerance? I do try and take them as little as possible, I just don't get why the last couple of temazepams haven't knocked me out :unsure: I was only prescribed them about this time last year & have never taken them more frequently than this..xx

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the diazepam you stated you use may have caused a dependence. This is because of the very long half life of diazepam, it takes three weeks for it to leave your system. That, combined with the temaz. Maybe, because the diaz and temaz are in the same family of drugs, this is why the tamaz could not be working. Don't worry though, just contact Battle Against Tranquilisers helpline, they are very freindly and non judgemental, and will do their best to help you, as they are experts and have personal experience of benzo dependency.

love

SW x

My next door neighbour years back, was addicted to them! So I was very aware of the dangers, although I didn't know the connection to seizures. I am prescribed, 10mg tabs, 14 each month. But, I needed to take two nowdays to get the same effects from them. I have been using them for 2 years, I ensure I have breaks from them, at least two months at a time, sometimes longer, if life isn't too painful. I have not had any side effects from withdrawing, at any time........so far. I will look into this, as I do like to know what I am putting into my body, I have been close to being an addict, booze twice, speed once, so know how easy it is to slide and how tough it is, to pull my self back.

thank you for the warning, you haven't scared me, I am grateful for the advice

lucy x

Temaz has a shorter half life of nearly a day, so if you are not taking them for more than a fortnight/week or so, then you may not have a dependency.

The fact that you are needing more though, shows you may have a tolerance.

You could call Battle Against Tranquilisers for advice.

love

SW x

Hi Shadow,

It is possible to build up a tolerence and become dependent on Benzos and Z drugs such as Zopiclone. After long term use they can stop working and have little effect but your body will still crave them.

This is why most GP's will only prescribe them short term and tell you to take them as a last reosrt if and when needed.

If you are concerned as to why your medications arn't working, your first port of call would be to see your GP and discuss it with them.

Aurora :)

Thanks Aurora, I need to go to the GP this week anyway so might ask him about it then.. I didn't think I'd taken enough to have that effect but maybe I have, I'll see what he says, if theres anything else that might help me sleep instead x

Archived