Mental Health Forums

Ednos - Not Ill Enough For Nhs

whiterainbow

How ill do I have to be before I can get help? For 8 years now my eating has altered between been bulimic - been normalish -been restrictive - been normalish again, so I'm not at a deathly weight, so the NHS won't help me. Two years ago my doctor said "I'm sorry, but we have girls who are really severely ill not getting help, we just can't do anything. And I understand that someone severely ill should come before me, but after 8 years I'm beginning to cave in and my weights dropping. I just wish that the impact of more minor eating disorders on everyday lives was taken seriously. And that they realised that eventually some snowball into not being minor anymore.

Hey just wanted to say I can sympathise, I don't know if I have an eating disorder but I've had problems with over-eating/purging for nearly 8 years now as well, it's been particularly bad the last month or so. Like you I have periods when I'm normalish and it's not such a problem and you wouldn't think it to look at me, I'm overweight if anything, so the people I have told (professionals I mean) don't seem too bothered about it and just tell me I need to eat!! :mad0233: But you are right, it would make a lot more sense to "treat" it in the earlier stages rather than waiting til it is a full blown problem.. I hope you find someone to help you with it soon x

I don't have a mental health worker. I go to the doctors every so often to alter my medication for other problems, and that's it.

Archived