Mental Health Forums

"the Perfect Job" And Meh-Ness...

Benway

Ok, i know i have not been replying to peoples topics for the last few days. Sorry.

I go to "reply to Topic, write out a few lines, then delete what i have written, seems trite, or obvious, or stupid I just don't have much confidence at the moment. It's not that I don't care... I just feel kinda useless atm. My concentration is absent also.

I need a p/t job. I found a job online last night for an ok wage, 10 hours a week, writing articles for public awareness on depression & suicide- 'would suit journalism student'. I have studied journalism twice- (dropped out both times) and i am all too familiar with the subject matter... but how could I convince an interviewer that I could do this without letting them know I am *mental*.

Besides, I have little self esteem atm, and I just think 'well, its a tough job market in Ireland atm, a handy p/t job like that would be snapped up, why even bother... but then i know that even the job interview experience would do me good, .. but then i think of the anxiety of the whole interview, explaining I have dropped out of journo college x 2, and have a history of depression, and I think 'don't bother'.

I didn't see my councellor last week, now afraid of making an appt for the coming week because i feel guilty.

Don't mind this, I just needed a little grumble. Best wishes xxx

Hi,

That's sounds like a good job, i would like to do something like that.

Maybe suffering with depression would help you in this job as you know the view of a depressed person. just a thought.

I understand how you feel about the whole job thing, i am looking for a part time job atm, to suit me, something with as little stress as possible (if that is possible, lol)

(((((hugs)))))

xxx

You coud just say you have personal experience and that you would like to use that to help others. After all, someone without metal health couldn't help someone in the same, they have no idea and definitely no understanding, and any employer should be looking for that.

xx

Hi Wynter& Head hurts and thank you for taking the time to read & reply.

Maybe I should just push myself... It is the ideal job for me, I wouldn't lose some current benefits I am getting, and its 'on the road' to full time work which I really SHOULD be doing and soon as this sitting around the house lark is not fun.

But then I have bad days and I wonder how the hell would I be able to hold a job down... mind you, less crisis than usual.

Wynter, wishing you all the best of luck with your job hunt too. I'm with you on the stress, lifes hard enuff :blink:

Head hurts, thanks again for the encouragement,

I am going to make scones now :)

Then I will stuff me face & do out a new CV- *gulp*

(Repeats 'I can do it' over and over to herself) xxx thanks

In the most Ironically weird way, have you thought about looking after people with Learning difficulties?

I work with people who have ASD's, Learning difficulties, Challenging behavious and mental health issues!

It's fascinating and also motivating.

Imagine the scenario - 26 Y/O Male, severe learning difficulties and Mental Health Issues, cannot tie his own shoe laces, has relied on velcro shoes. Wants a girlfriend and likes a pair of trainers I have, problem is they have laces. Now, being 27 myself, I've not tied trainer laces for about 17 years, cos it's not "cool". I decide that I will whilst at work to encourage my man to do the same. We go out, buy the trainers he want's and believes will get him a girlfriend. Laces! They stay in the box for approx 3 months because he's scared of the challenge ahead of him.

I walk into his room one day and get them out. I take off my trainers and put his on. I walk downstairs and he sees me in them. Cool, he says, I got some like that! These are yours, I say to him. Like a flash, he wants them and wants to wear them. Problem is, I untie them as I give them to him. Furious he throws them at me. We embark on a journey of arguements and threats. I take the trainers and put them on, tie the laces and he stops.

Long and short is this, 6 months of repetative behaviour, tie, untie, show, re show, tie, un tie etc, etc.

Guess what, he's got a pair of D&G loafers that he ties up every day and he has a girlfriend!

Moral of that is this, helping others to the betterment of their lives instills a feeling of worth, a feeling of achievement.

Try it out!

Might not be the job for you but by christ it helps me! Plus for 12 hrs a day I can leave my issues alone and focus on others!

Ok, i know i have not been replying to peoples topics for the last few days. Sorry.

I go to "reply to Topic, write out a few lines, then delete what i have written, seems trite, or obvious, or stupid I just don't have much confidence at the moment. It's not that I don't care... I just feel kinda useless atm. My concentration is absent also.

I need a p/t job. I found a job online last night for an ok wage, 10 hours a week, writing articles for public awareness on depression & suicide- 'would suit journalism student'. I have studied journalism twice- (dropped out both times) and i am all too familiar with the subject matter... but how could I convince an interviewer that I could do this without letting them know I am *mental*.

Besides, I have little self esteem atm, and I just think 'well, its a tough job market in Ireland atm, a handy p/t job like that would be snapped up, why even bother... but then i know that even the job interview experience would do me good, .. but then i think of the anxiety of the whole interview, explaining I have dropped out of journo college x 2, and have a history of depression, and I think 'don't bother'.

I didn't see my councellor last week, now afraid of making an appt for the coming week because i feel guilty.

Don't mind this, I just needed a little grumble. Best wishes xxx

wow that sounds amazing, gd luck

cd you find a careers councilor for application advice? calling the company first and asking lots of details about the job/cpmpany etc helps you know what they are looking for. and maybe you cd write an artclie to take along to show them, itd show initiative and maybe youd feel more confident having an example of what you can do also. dont worry about what theyd think about your mh, how many people without direct mh experience are likely to apply for this job, after all people write about what they know.

bets of luck, tgcx

Hi, again thank you people for your input.

Devious - I think your job sounds challenging and rewarding - a cliche I know, but I mean it.

And yes I would love to work at what you do, or with the homeless, i have looked into volunteering but you need to sign a big long form & get Gardai (police) clearance. I said this to my councellor in my last sesion, she told me because i have a shoplifting charge in '03 (2 cds from HMV) , that I wouldn't get Gardai clearance.

To work with any vunerable person here one needs Gardai clearance - and while I admit I was wrong to shoplift, and it was 8 years ago, maybe it will impede me even doing voluntary work with the homeless, which is what i'd like to do, & ideally work a little as well for £. I have too much free time sitting around getting a warpy head.

I have a feeling, altho i have not challenged it yet- that gardai clearance is for ppl with serious crimes... I know a few ex-addicts who currently work with addicts and they were involved in crime before getting clean and becoming drug treatment staff.

I am starting not to trust my councillor more & more...

But i think i will go for this writing job even though I am shit scared. I think the experience might be good for my anxiety, in a weird way! I really do appreciate all your feedback, and thank you for your time. Best wishes to all, xxx anne marie

Hi, again thank you people for your input.

Devious - I think your job sounds challenging and rewarding - a cliche I know, but I mean it.

And yes I would love to work at what you do, or with the homeless, i have looked into volunteering but you need to sign a big long form & get Gardai (police) clearance. I said this to my councellor in my last sesion, she told me because i have a shoplifting charge in '03 (2 cds from HMV) , that I wouldn't get Gardai clearance.

To work with any vunerable person here one needs Gardai clearance - and while I admit I was wrong to shoplift, and it was 8 years ago, maybe it will impede me even doing voluntary work with the homeless, which is what i'd like to do, & ideally work a little as well for £. I have too much free time sitting around getting a warpy head.

I have a feeling, altho i have not challenged it yet- that gardai clearance is for ppl with serious crimes... I know a few ex-addicts who currently work with addicts and they were involved in crime before getting clean and becoming drug treatment staff.

I am starting not to trust my councillor more & more...

But i think i will go for this writing job even though I am shit scared. I think the experience might be good for my anxiety, in a weird way! I really do appreciate all your feedback, and thank you for your time. Best wishes to all, xxx anne marie

I'm guessing your Ireland as opposed to NI?

UK law only refuses those who have Assult or agressive criminal offences in care. Try it, disclose your shoplifting and you may get somewhere!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained in my books!

I find myself getting warped scared trying for those jobs I really want too. Go for it, you can always come back to us to work through the emotional part. The writing sounds perfect for you.

love,

Sah

Hey kitteh, I get vvvv freaked out about applying for jobs I actually want too...actually, I was talking with my bf last night about this. I compare myself to other people constantly, and also say "why do they have a better job than me?" etc. My bf said "you never apply for ANY jobs you're actually capable of". And it's true. I apply for tons of jobs in bars/shops - I feel comfortable doing that kind of work and applying for those jobs.

Anything more difficult or that requires thought/effort - I can't even apply for any job like that. OK, at the moment, I teach English to foreign students, and I know that that is a pretty good job, but like you, wanted to be a journalist for the longest time - but not applied to do anything in that area for at least 6 years :(

It's so hard when your self-esteem is low. Hope you apply for it, if you wanna pm me, I'm always here xxx

Archived