Mental Health Forums

Cpns?

TizzyGirl

Hey everyone,

A lot of people I talk to online keep asking me if I have a CPN, and I don't.

When I got discharged from hospital and referred to the local mental health team, I asked about a CPN as it had been mentioned before. The psychiatrist said I didn't need one... but what do CPNs actually do? I know they are community psych nurses and they can help with things. I have a care coordinator that comes to see me every 2-4 weeks and stuff but I don't know what a CPN's job entails.

I think if I know what they do, I can work out if I would like one or just stick with my care coordinator so help would be very much appreciated

Thanks!

Similar to a care co-ordinator I think.

Mine comes round to see me every so often, and is there if I need to ring because I am feeling low. They do like a care plan with you and basically work through it.

I was told by my GP that I didn't need one but then my psychiatrist decided I did.

I think they are quite hard to come by these days. But mine is very good, don't know what I'd do without her.

Yeah does sound very familiar, thanks unlucky. I have a care plan with my care-coordinator. And I'm supposed to call when I feel low but I have a bit of a phobia about phoning people. Yet they know this and still expect me to call! Its very frustrating!

I know, I am very lucky, should change my display name huh?

I don't like calling people either, especially people like my CPN because I always expect her to be busy with other more important patients.

I think everyone with moderate mental health problems should have one, but like I say, I think they are pretty rare and probably very overworked. They always seem to be busy with something or other.

Although, DreamBeauty you would hope that the reason you don't have a CPN/Care co-ordinator would be because you are coping well with your mental health.

I've always thought CPNs & care co-ordinators were the same thing, mine is written as care co-ordinator on official letters and things but when my psych or anyone mentions her they say CPN, I thought it was just the old name for the position that a lot of people haven't got out the habit of using :huh: x

Well my psych said I didn't need one because CPNs are more to do with medication. But then everyone I've spoken to say they do pretty much the same job as my care coordinator so maybe my psych was thinking of something else?

Okay may have been talking rubbish, had a look on MIND as I'm interested too..

Care Co-ordinator

A care co-ordinator is the person responsible for making sure that a patient gets the care that they need. Patients and carers should be able to contact their care co-ordinator (or on-call service) at any reasonable time. Once a patient has been assessed as needing care under the Care Programme Approach they will be told who their care co-ordinator is.The care co-ordinator is likely to be community mental health nurse, social worker or occupational therapist.

Community Psychiatric Nurse (CPN)

CPNs are registered nurses who work with people in the community.They work as part of a team and, like other members of the team, may see people in a variety of settings such as at a GP surgery, in a clinic or health centre or in a client's own home.They work closely with GPs (see General Practitioner definition) and other health professionals.They provide practical advice, ongoing support with problems, supervise medication, give injections and help with counselling. They also work out care plans with other members of the team, service users and carers.

Still not much difference really I guess..

Well my CPN sees me every week. I see her like a counsellor.

But she advises me on what to do, and what not to do in most cases.

She liases alot with my psychiatrists ( I have two ) and discusses things like therapy, medication and just things in general

I like my CPN

Maybe you could ask your psych about having a CPN or why they dont think you need one.

I might do! I found out I have a CPA next month but only found out cos someone mentioned it in passing... thanks for letting me know!

But its Vogel, and she is rubbish so we will have to see!

Archived