Mental Health Forums

Tv Drama About Did

Lily-Bee

Hi guys,

There is a drama series about DID on telly,called;The united states of Tara.

I do not know if it portreys what DID is like properly,you guys will have to tell me(the ones with DID here). I like it though from a purely drama-telly point of view,very good acting.

Here is a link where you can watch episodes; United states of Tara

Curious to hear your comments!

Lilly

Wierd that you brought this up! Recently Michael started watching this so I watched it too. I was afraid to at first because I knew it would be triggering. My hubby has watched it late at night and not even told me because he was worried it would be too hard for me.

I found it very humorous in a good way. It is meant to be comedy. Light hearted to be sure but also very serious about the issues. I stuggled with that for a bit wondering if my life was nothing but a big comedy act but my husband told me to look at is at least someone out there believes the condition is real.

It's drama'ed up but I commented to my husband how much it was like my real life that it was scary! True it's much more concentrated and extreme than my life but I could relate to so much of it.

I very much related when Tara was crying in the closet because she realized her alters were back. How often have I cried in the shower, or the closet, or the bathroom at work! It brought real tears to my eyes.

I very much related to Buck, having my Michael who is very similiar. When Buck cried in the mens room, I also cried because of a similiar, yet not so extreme experience I've had.

My alters know they are alters and do not have wierd stories about where they have come from like Buck does. They know they came from abuse. They don't think they were iun the veitnamn war.

I've been discussing Tara with another multiple on Utube and we both agree that the worst part of it is eluding that medication can stop the switching. There is no medication out there that stops the alters coming forward. I remember being so dishearted when Dr Neale told me this.

However, when Kate said that the alters "Do things for Mom" that is true. T interferred with Marshall's love life because Tara didn't want to even though she deep down felt it best. That's like my life for sure! I don't always like what my alters do but they really are doing what I deep down would like to, even if I don't recognize it.

I like that the show doesn't just focus on Tara's DID but also on Marshalls gay issues, Kate's hormone issues and the husbands struggle to live with his wife's condition. All very big and important issues in todays society.

There is also the movie Sibil with Sally Fields in it.

I believe this portrays DID in a much better way but it too is drama and hollywooded up.

I think the drama's are good because it brings the disorder to light and mental health in general. It may help people accept us more. It may also help to reduce the stigma about mental health. I'm not sure. I'm glad that in Tara they are doing research and have a pdoc on staff to clarify things.

As a side note: When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about drama on the forums! LOL. Maybe a mention of TV drama would help clarify.

Oh and the actress who plays Tara is an Aussie! Go us! She's also won many awards for this series.

WP

Thanks for your comments! Im glad it didnt offend you in any case,I could imagine if portreyed very badly or something it might be upsetting.I know about DID in a technical sense but obviously not what it is like to experience it.

I noticed that too,in the show they claim meds can stop it,I know this isnt true.

Ive only seen the first episode so far so dont know if they get into that these alters come from abuse. I think they should make that clear at least to the viewer even if the alters do not realize.

I remember I think it was Trudi Chase who had an alter who believed he was seen as weird because he was gay but not for being an alter,he didnt think he was an alter at all.

Lilly

Maize Im sorry if this upset you and even more so if I said something wrong,please understand I do not know what it is like so I might unintentionally say hurtfull things,hope you trust I mean well.

Lilly

Would people like a comedy about schizophrenia or psychosis or bi-polar disorder or anorexia or social phobia or anxiety or major depression? I just find it really hard. Maybe it's just too close to home. I haven't gotten a handle on it yet so I'm not ready for the comedy hour if you know what I mean. The whole damn thing is fucked up!

Its listed under drama,which in my opinion it is and though there is fun in it too theyre not making jokes about DID.

Lilly

I think they made a comedy out of it because they don't believe it's real. Would you make a comedy about a side effect of childhood trauma? And we're talking about extreme, extreme trauma to create this sort of problem. It's a big joke to most people, clearly. And clearly no one believes it, and if they do society is bloody cruel, ignorant and despicable, IMO.

I can understand your concerns here and those must be upsetting indeed.

I wonder though if you saw the show youd still feel the same as I really do not think theyre making fun of it or saying its not real,WP has DID and she doesnt seem to feel that either.

Lilly

Have I said anywhere I believe its not real??

Lots of people here take it seriously,we as staff certainly do,why else would we allow alters to have accounts if we thought it was nonsense??

Lilly

My feelings are my feelings. So what how someone else feels about it. We each have a right to out own feelings. I guess I'm more private and protective given attitudes of the general population.

I think as youre struggling with this its a very very sensitive subject for you and I can only imagine how hard it must be!

I think its sad though that you cant see lots of people here take you seriously and want to be here for you....

Lilly

Have I said anywhere I believe its not real??

Lots of people here take it seriously,we as staff certainly do,why else would we allow alters to have accounts if we thought it was nonsense??

Lilly

You're just one person as opposed to a lot of the attitudes that go around. It's not safe. Would you put yourself out there in that atmosphere? I feel hated here already and for what I don't know.

This might sound crazy to you but maybe you need to test that idea,start a topic asking people how they feel about you,you might be surprised how many care.

Lilly

I think as youre struggling with this its a very very sensitive subject for you and I can only imagine how hard it must be!

I think its sad though that you cant see lots of people here take you seriously and want to be here for you....

Lilly

Thank you for saying that. That helps to hear. I have to take some time to build some trust and hopefully I'll be able to. Thanks

It sounds like youve been very very hurt before and you have your guard up which is totally understandable! Im glad though youre willing to give it time and let trust grow as I know from personal experience it can really help to have the support of others and I want that for you.

Lilly

I wont watch any hollywood glamourised tv or film about any ppl with mental health probs not just d.i.d, they so make ppl out to be what they not they portray it so wrong, i have watched things before and it just makes me so :angry:

however documentaries with real ppl are things i prefer to watch.

emo xx

Archived