Mental Health Forums

Changing Cpns

lauraw2693

Hope this doesn't annoy anyone as I know some people have had problems even getting one but I really want to change my CPN, she is making me very uncomfortable right now.. I'm not even completely sure what it is but I don't feel I can talk to her or trust her at all anymore and I'm dreading my appointments days before them, it's not helping, if anything it's doing the opposite. She had about 8 weeks off sick last summer and then another 6-7 weeks later in the year, I think I lost faith in her after that, even though I know she can't help being ill I just felt abandonned so I guess I shut down because I don't think she's going to stick around so I don't see how I can open up to her anymore. It's doing my nut in, she can't really get the balance right she's either overly friendly and in your face or completely cold and overly professional.. Well no I don't think shes professional at all. She pushes me when I say I'm not ready to talk about something. I thought it was just me being over sensitive but my friend has come to several appointments with me now and agrees she's very unprofessional, I know it might just be my paranoia but it almost feels like she's playing mind games with me sometimes and it really does get to me. It's got to the point I'm not comfortable with her coming in my house anymore. She wants to cut down my time with my support worker, it feels like because shes jealous or something that I'm talking to her more than my CPN, although my support worker said she'd see me as long as I need and as often as I need to. I know my CPN is in charge of my care technically so I'm worried shes just going to stop me seeing my support worker who is one of the very few people that actually help. I don't know why I'm writing this its just really bugging me and I know it probably isn't very simple swapping CPNs but was just wondering really if anyone knew how to go about it?

Sounds like your CPN has BPD herself!

Why don't you call PALS and ask for their advice? I think it's like a place that sorts out complaints and stuff about the care you receive from the NHS. I think there is supposed to be one in every hospital?

Or you could call the place where your CPN works and just ask how you would go about it, without saying your name or her name or anything, and then you can think about what you want to do.

My CPN is lovely, and I am so lucky to have her, so I wouldn't know the answer to this do you actually have to see them? I mean, what can they actually do if you don't turn up? Apart from discharge you, which would be another option if you couldn't change?

Funny you said that unlucky, I've actually thought that myself several times - she does go from being overly friendly and possessive almost to being cold and almost mean sometimes. That's why it feels like mind games. My support worker implied all that time she took off was for depression so maybe she does, I think she's a nice enough person I just think she's in the wrong job she obviously can't handle it and she's only been working there 18 months.

PALS is probably a good idea actually, they'd have an email address wouldn't they? (Not able to phone) They were helpful before when my mum phoned up on my behalf, I guess there's no harm in asking..

Well I can't just not show up because she comes to see me at home, I really don't like that though her being in my home doesn't feel safe anymore I have no idea why. I don't think being discharged would be a good idea right now I need the psych, therapy & support worker and guess I couldn't do all that without having a cpn.. x

Nah not really, they asked me to phone which I can't or give them permission to access my records, it's the woman I gave permission to talk to my ex ages ago when we put a complaint in so she has it in writing she can talk to my ex so I can't even email back.. fail <_<

I think it is worth talking to your support worker, she obviously knows your CPN and a bit about her problems so she might be able to help or at least advise you where to go for help. I'm sure she will understand how important it is to feel comfortable with someone when youve got to talk about really difficult stuff.

i hope you find something you are able to do to help solve the problem

is there any way you could contact her before then like phoning emailing or writing a letter? If she knows theres something major going on she might see you sooner or at least she might start looking into getting you another cpn before she sees you

I suppose so, she does say I can text any time and she does answer quick usually if I'm struggling.. it's just actually saying it that's proving the problem, I'm worried my CPN will find out then I won't be able to change then I'll be stuck with her :blink: I guess I could ask a friend to see my support worker with me that could help, just seems too much effort right now, would prefer to hide under the duvet and pretend I don't exist <_<

Archived