Mental Health Forums

6 Month Jitters

rmorgan_uk

Hi

I have been working nights for caterpillar now for nearly 6 months. the job is not the most interesting but the working conditions and wages are excellent. also working nights seems to suit me down to the ground. so as you can imagine i dont want to lose it.

but over the past few years my mental health has gotten steadily worse. and im starting to notice a pattern to my working life. it seems that i do well for around 6 months or so then i start to get into a deep depression and end up either getting given the boot or as in my last job having a row with one of the supervisors and walking out. i have not gone on a downturn yet but i can see it happening, and i dont want to lose this job. i know if this happens i will end up spending the next 6 months sitting around feeling sorry for myself and ending up doing somthing silly like last time (very nearly big time od last time luckely was helped by sombody on this site.(thanks you know who you are)). if it happens again tho im not sure i could take it this time. i relly think it will be the end for me.

authough as i said before i havent gone downhill yet i have had a couple of minor issues this week. that while at the moment are not an issue could quite easily become one.

my diagnosis is of personallity disorder. but i have have disscussed the possibility that it could be more likley that i fit the criteria better for a dx of bipolar 2 disorder not b 1 as i dont have any major psycosis. but i do have periods of hypomaina followed by periods of servere depression. is there anyone on here with this dx if there is i would be greatfull for any advice you could give me.

thanks for listening and again as in my other posts i apologize for my terrible spelling. :worried_anim:

Hi Moggy, I can't really advise you to well (bad day here) but I'm just wanted to say that you're doing really well to recognise that you need help before things get worse. Hope you get the help you need xxx

Hey Moggy,

I seem to do something similar although I struggle to reach the 6 month mark. :wacko:

You are doing brilliantly, not sure how to prevent as you describe the downturn. If you find a resolution please share. ;)

I try and tell myself that I can't lose this job because it's a good job that I enjoy and that I need the money but then this can make me feel over whelmed. I just try and take one day at a time, although my mind seems determined to destroy my prospects.

Not sure of this will help, apologies for the rambling!

xx

I'm not sure if I have any useful advice, but I can really relate to the 6 month thing. I do it with friendships and everything. I'm in a bad spot at the moment but recently I did a mindfulness course and some aspects of that are proving to be useful in riding out the low mood swings. That is to do one thing at a time and really focus on it and the sensations as I do it (eg washing up). This channeling of attention stops my downward sprial for a while.

Archived