Mental Health Forums

A Cry For Help

charlieste

Hi all, its taken the destruction of my relationship and my partner leaving me and taking my son away from me for me to realise i have a problem that i cant control. I am at the lowest point i have ever been in my life and finding it difficult to ever see a way back. its so hard to convince someone you have hurt that its a condition and not just me being horrible. ive known for a while that ive not been myself but been too damn ignorant to ask for help. Any words of encouragement or advice would be very helpful at the moment.........

i went to see a counsellor for anger management in december shortly after i had seen my GP. Im not an angry person and she suggested i go back to my GP and speak to her about stress and depression and anxiety. Me being a man i thought this was a ridiculous suggestion and didn't go. i suffer badly from paranoia and keep my feelings bottled up until the silliest of arguments with my partner end with me flying into uncontrollable rage, not violent but frightening to her all the same. this happened again last week and its made me realise i need help. i just hope its not too late!

Hi, i am not a violent person either but when my partner upsets me i lose it quite badly. Just cause your a man doesn't mean you can't be depressed or have anxiety problems. Have you been back to see your GP you could tell them how you feel and see what they recommend. Its never to late for us to try and turn our lives around. I hope it works out for you.xx

when i lost it before xmas i knew there was something wrong. ive tried talking to my partner, close friends and family and im either told to man up and stop being silly or accused of using a serious condition as an excuse for my actions and labelled as a bad person. its been so hard for me to admit i have a mental health problem and even harder to seek help for it! i have an appointment with my GP in the morning and with a mental health nurse for an assessment at my local clinic on thursday. im just praying i can somehow convince my partner that none of my actions have been meant and hopefully try to salvage the mess my ignorance has caused.

Hi charlieste,

& welcome to the forum.

I read the thread - your first sentance caught my attention -

"its taken the destruction of my relationship and my partner leaving me and taking my son away from me for me to realise i have a problem that i cant control"

I could have written those words a few years ago, same thing happenned to me. it was shit, you must be gutted.

Its good you have appts with some professionals in the MH area, and its nothing to be ashamed of- having MH problems, 25% of GP visits are for MH problems, so though you maybe nervous about it, I am sure your GP sees a lot of it.

I'm sorry you are not getting any more positive feedback from family and friends. And it is a scary thing to go through, seeing people and being diagnosed with something. And you are not ignorant, just having a hard tome atm.

I wish you the best with your appt. tommorrow with the GP, take care, anne-marie.

Thank you all for your kind words of support. im sure if I had discovered these forums a while earlier I wouldn't be in the mess I am at the moment. Im looking forward to seeing my GP tomorrow but mostly thursdays with th MH nurse. I need someone to diagnose me once and for all so i can start on the road to recovery and hopefully win back the trust of the one person in my life i would never intentionally hurt. I will no doubt be posting after both of my appointments and looking forward to some more positive thoughts. Once again thank you all x

Hi all, its taken the destruction of my relationship and my partner leaving me and taking my son away from me for me to realise i have a problem that i cant control. I am at the lowest point i have ever been in my life and finding it difficult to ever see a way back. its so hard to convince someone you have hurt that its a condition and not just me being horrible. ive known for a while that ive not been myself but been too damn ignorant to ask for help. Any words of encouragement or advice would be very helpful at the moment.........

Well I think you are being a real man by seeing GP and mental nurse.

A dx may be a label, but I feel that if I had a correct dx before getting into drugs I would have been able to explain to myself my troubling thoughts and feelings and maybe not so much destruction would have been caused in my life.

Maybe you would like to write down all that is bothering you, whether that be behaviour, thoughts, feelings, situations that is troubling to you and you can just let the nurse/doctor see the notes.

I hope it all goes well and that this is the start of your healing, and once again, I congratulate you on posting here, and for reaching out for help.

I wish you well and think also that anyone who turns round and says Yep I have a problem I need to sort it, is just a strong person who knows they have reach a limit within there life, that they need support with.. I hope you find that, take care x

Archived