Mental Health Forums

Medicals - Really Efing Angry

hummm_mabbe

Hi

Just as a tip to anyone going for a medical for benefits - whatever you do, don't try to seem ok. It seems the whole process comes down to how you seem in the room at the time. I've just had my report through telling me how they decided I am fit for work, and it confirms they ignored the questionnaire, and based it all on the medical. In the final decision they have even ignored some key information in the report, but because I didn't actually start throwing things around the room or lose it in the interview, thats what they have focused on. None of the history of what I told them has been considered at all.

So my word of advice is, if you feel anxious, get really anxious. If you feel angry, get really angry. If they give you a sceanrio like "If I said something to make you angry, how would you react", tell them you would probably get up and throw something at them. You are dealing with idiots who work in a 'computer says no' environment and you need to feed this to them on a plate. Your reactions, not what you tell them, is what they are looking at. If ever there was a time to act out, this is it.

Sorry, I am just so angry right now and haven;t got any other means of letting this out. They are a bunch of ******* b*******

Ross

Hi Ross

That is disgraceful that they based everything on how you were on the day.

I'm sorry you are pissed off, but you have good reason to be. I would be livid too.

Glad you put the topic up, it might help you to vent and let others know how to 'act' -(fucking terrible!) on the day.

Hugs matey, xxx kitteh

K well I just spoke to a bloke at the benefits centre, and let rip on the poor bloke. Turned out he agreed with me - the new system is fucked. He's told me to write in questioning it, and if possible give supporting evidence from my T and doctor. The guy said that its common ATOS take on inexperienced nurses, and it sounds like thats whats happened. Honestly, reading the recommendation its like reading about someone else.

F**K F**ITY W*** NUTS

Sorry I need to rant rant rant

GWARRRRRRRRR

**sighs defeatedly**

edited for swearing

hats ridiculous!!!

so sorry ross xxx

Thanks daisy. Am in one of those not sure whether to rage or cry type moods. Gonna ask therapist to help me out with a letter and stuff. At the very least i wanted to be put in the working group, at least then its not just "off you go, you're fine" and there's some possibility, if it falls apart, of having a safety net.

Sorry I've got verbal diarrhoea now ....

OMG I had a feeling this is the sort of thing that would happen - thanks for the advice. It's absolutely bloody ridiculous that they base it only on the time that they see you for and ignore the medical professionals opinions and the information that you give in the questionnaire. I feel angry for you and all the other people that it is going to affect :mad0233:

Please don't smash anything expensive - beat the hell out of a pillow or something like that to help to relieve the anger.

:hug2: and love xxxx

Thats not an inexperienced nurse - thats an incompetent one.

I feel your anger and frustration is justified. Please dont damage any of your own property though.

I hope it gets rectified soon.

As you know I recently went thro the medical and got put in the working group.

My doc (?) didnt look at my form at all - he just focussed on the evidence I had from my medics - care plan, risk assessment and a letter from psych. He said that evidence was what he needed and that it"spoke for itself".

If you did an appeal and put that stuff in, I would bet you would get working group.

I have other info and fab website info if you pm me.

Good luck with it. Glad you are fighting it. By the way phone them and say you are appealing and say you want to go back on the assessment rate (which is what happens) while you appeal so at least you have money coming in. You have a month to put in your appeal but the actual appeal could be ages but at least you still have dosh coming in.

As you know I recently went thro the medical and got put in the working group.

My doc (?) didnt look at my form at all - he just focussed on the evidence I had from my medics - care plan, risk assessment and a letter from psych. He said that evidence was what he needed and that it"spoke for itself".

If you did an appeal and put that stuff in, I would bet you would get working group.

I have other info and fab website info if you pm me.

Good luck with it. Glad you are fighting it. By the way phone them and say you are appealing and say you want to go back on the assessment rate (which is what happens) while you appeal so at least you have money coming in. You have a month to put in your appeal but the actual appeal could be ages but at least you still have dosh coming in.

Hi snow

Yes you were absolutely right what you said about the report, I was utterly shocked at the outcome. As you say they work with 'evidence' and so without any other input, all they work with is "you look fine to me". What amazed me is there is a bit where it says about anxiety, and it said "client did not appear to be sweating". I was sitting there with a tissue in my hands wiping my palms. OK it wasn't streaming down my face like in an action movie, but FFS if they are going to put that in as a criteria, at least LOOK. Sigh. Sorry not angry with you, just venting ... even the bloke I spoke to on the phone agreed the system is all wrong.

I am gonna write in and hopefully my T will provide a letter. Not sure how to proceed with my doc as it always takes about a month to see her. Maybe I will write a letter asking for supporting info.

I think the main thing is that their assessment removes any of the working group support, and also means if I can't cope I am not allowed to re-apply for 6 months. All I am asking for is a safety net, which the IB people were willing to provide. One nurse talks to me, thinks I look ok, and all of that is gone. The funniest bit was reading my assessment. It said "You do not have trouble with anxiety upon meeting new people or going to new places. You do not over-react to criticism". I was like, if all that were true, I would have left therapy eons ago. It would have been funny except those were the things I was meant to be scoring points on. Its like they just filled it in with one thing in mind - get me off benefits.

Thats not an inexperienced nurse - thats an incompetent one.

I feel your anger and frustration is justified. Please dont damage any of your own property though.

I hope it gets rectified soon.

Hulloz

S'ok I had a really good rant to myself and vented at the bloke on the phone, nothing borken or owt. There's only my computer to break anyway, and I love it too much :)

The new system sucks. I'm glad you've been able to clear your head enough to start to take steps to appeal. This is so wrong. People (we) are being forced to ditch recovery and hope to demonstrate our needs. I don't get why the reports from MH professionals who work with us and know us well have less authority than some failed nurse whose had to go into assessments instead of nursing. I share your angst. It is completely wrong.

Hugs to you, and hope your appeal / complaint is taken very seriously.

They are probably assuming that because you seem ok for the 20 minutes or so that they see you, that you can be ok for up to 40 hours of work per week!

Incompetence is f*cking everywhere!

Hi Ross,

So sorry this has happened to you. I spend a lot of time browsing through the Benefits and Work Forum and sadly this kind of thing is not uncommon.

Will you be appealing? I have read you get a month to appeal the ATOS decision and can still get your benefits at appeal rate which is the same money as you would get on JSA, untill the tribunal.

I'm not fully aware of the ins and outs of appealing, but if you register with the Benefits and Work Forum, they can give you some advice.

Aurora :)

Hi guys

There seems to be a sort of middle ground, where you can write in and say why you disagree with their findings. There is a possibility it will just be re-assessed, though if this fails then I will have to go to tribunal. So I am drafting a letter to my doctor and therapist tonight asking them to provide me with some supporting evidence, and will send all of that to the benefits people.

In fact I will probably send an initial letter ASAP, and say that additional info will be coming from doc and T, make sure it all gets moving.

At the same time I am still preparing myself for going back to work, got my hair cut, bought some trousers and smart shoes today. Another annoying thing about all this is that I know I am at a place in therapy where I need to stick my toe in the water. The Incap Benefit people were going to offer me support to do that - a gradual re-introduction to work. I actually want to do that - whats made me so angry is that they have withdrawn any access to Pathways to Work / Working Group support, and any possibility of going back on benefit if I fall to pieces at work. So I was getting myself readied for it anyway, and want to do that. I dont want to stay on benefit forever - but i do want to be given a fair chance at the best possibility of coping with going back to work. I've been isolated from people for 3 years - no-one can say how I will handle a 9 to 5 and being around people again, especially not some nurse who just met me. So its like yes, I am still going to prepare myself for work, but now it just has an extra bitter taste in the mouth and a lot more fear.

Ross

The new system sucks. I'm glad you've been able to clear your head enough to start to take steps to appeal. This is so wrong. People (we) are being forced to ditch recovery and hope to demonstrate our needs. I don't get why the reports from MH professionals who work with us and know us well have less authority than some failed nurse whose had to go into assessments instead of nursing. I share your angst. It is completely wrong.

Hugs to you, and hope your appeal / complaint is taken very seriously.

Completely agree. Thanks for the support, will see what comes of it all :(

They are probably assuming that because you seem ok for the 20 minutes or so that they see you, that you can be ok for up to 40 hours of work per week!

Incompetence is f*cking everywhere!

I know, its ridiculous. I should have walked in, dropped my trousers, thrown up on the floor and then tried to pinch everyone's bum. Then I would have sailed through.

The interviewer was even encouraged to look for signs of "rocking, which indicates anxiety". FFS. Its like 1960's psychiatry.

Hi Ross,

So sorry this has happened to you. I spend a lot of time browsing through the Benefits and Work Forum and sadly this kind of thing is not uncommon.

Will you be appealing? I have read you get a month to appeal the ATOS decision and can still get your benefits at appeal rate which is the same money as you would get on JSA, untill the tribunal.

I'm not fully aware of the ins and outs of appealing, but if you register with the Benefits and Work Forum, they can give you some advice.

Aurora :)

I think so, though I wanted to be placed in the working group. As it may take up to 6 months to be seen, by that time its likely I will have at least tried some work out. Really not sure what to do, that might mean an automatic dropping out of the appeal system, whether Im coping or not.

I guess at least if I do go back to work, and everything explodes again, I can come back and re-apply, saying "see? I had started an appeal BECAUSE I'M NOT FUCKING WELL ENOUGH YET". Sigh.

hats ridiculous!!!

so sorry ross xxx

Thanks daisy. Am in one of those not sure whether to rage or cry type moods. Gonna ask therapist to help me out with a letter and stuff. At the very least i wanted to be put in the working group, at least then its not just "off you go, you're fine" and there's some possibility, if it falls apart, of having a safety net.

its so annoying.they really just dont take any notice do they?when my dad died my mum then lost her dad (my grandad)2 months later.she was in bits

and had to go for one of those medicals.but because she must have appeared alright on the day they said she was fit for work.nobs.

im glad your therapist will help you with the letter.xxx

hats ridiculous!!!

so sorry ross xxx

its so annoying.they really just dont take any notice do they?when my dad died my mum then lost her dad (my grandad)2 months later.she was in bits

and had to go for one of those medicals.but because she must have appeared alright on the day they said she was fit for work.nobs.

im glad your therapist will help you with the letter.xxx

Thats dreadful :angry: Thats why I can't understand why the views of engaged medics arent taken into consideration up front. Surely the people that have been working with them would know best what they are capable of? Or perhaps they just figure that such people are less likely to protect the benefits pot? Sorry to be cynical, but even the benefits office workers agreed this is all about saving money only. So cross :angry:

Drafted my letter to my doctor, and been speaking via email with therapist. Got to drop letter off to the doc tomorrow, and then type up my opening shot to the benefits people tomorrow.

Ross

This is horrible Ross,

so sorry for you and all others that this new system will affect.

Sounds like a really stupid way of doing things they have.

Sending extra snurgles for you hun :grouphug[1]:

x

Archived