Mental Health Forums

A Question About Did

BimoUK

I also agree with you Maize, mine isnt a reaction to therapy at all. Ive had mine for a few years now and its been helped from talking therpay and taking my medication.. because when i go too high thats when one of my alters comes out.

Bimo- i guess so anything is possible. :)

I've just thought of another question about DID.

Before I ask it I'd just like to say, if my question asking offends anyone at any point please do let me know, it's not at all my intention to cause offence!

So, my question:

Is it possible for an alter to become the primary personality?

Yes. I'm an alter. The previous host or primary personality is now named Faith and is internal. She was hurt by a church she use to attend and gave up her role as primary personality and I apparently took over. I don't remember the process of taking over and I share all of her memories as if they were my own but I know that she is now separate from me so has branched off. This has happened numerous times during our lives. Our orginal core self apparently died at the age of 18 months when they were

:trigger:

Drowned in a bath of some kind. It's so unclear to me if this was deliberate or an accident but we apparently stopped breathing and had to be revived by the carer. I can confirm that it happened but not how or why. My alters say it was deliberate, but they were only 18 months old and would have percieved what happened from a childs point of view. They may not have liked the carer or felt abandoned or let down by them.

I have a lot of alters who use to be the primary personality at some stage of my life and can track a lot of my past to their experiences.

On the other issue/question. Yes, I've had therapists infer that I became DID because a therapist put the idea into my head. :rolleyes:

Like others have said here, I already had the DID before I sought therapy. Actually the very reason I sought therapy was because I had the DID! Before that I knew I was depressed, suicidal, and had mood swings. I also knew I had black outs, internal voices, the feeling of loosing control and feeling "possessed".

This all changed when one of my alters was arrested! (Darkness)they thought she was high on cocaine. After checking her out they realized she was not and sent us to the psyche ward. This was the beginning of therapy and help but it still took a long time for the DID diagnosis to come out. It's not easy to get the dx and not easy to live with it after. Why would anyone make up DID? It's silly to even insinuate we do. People make many many suggestions to me about how I should or should not be and I don't automatically just become that so why is DID any different? I did not want to be DID. I fought it every step of the way. I became so distressed at the idea that I quit my job and went into crisis.

WP

WP, thank you so much for sharing your story.

I agree with you entirely when you say why would you make up DID. I do believe it's a very real condition and I can't begin to imagine the struggles you all must face every day.

Thank you for helping me to understand it better.

XX

Archived