Mental Health Forums

Fat And Ugly

addy2

Addy, I know what you mean--I could definitely use DBT too but in my case it's out of the question, unfortunately. I bet you are lovely!!! :happystrange:

And unlucky--you sound a lot like me. I was never bulimic, but I was anorexic in my late teens/early 20's and got so thin I looked like someone out of a concentration camp--but I still thought I was too big! I had been slightly overweight beginning in late childhood, and was mercilessly teased about it, and I can't help thinking that had a LOT to do with the later anorexia.

Then--again like you!!--I went in the opposite direction. I am now very overweight, utterly ashamed of how I look, and with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and being pre-diabetic, I desperately need to lose weight--also being slim would do wonders for my self-esteem. But somehow I cannot summon up the will to do the hard work to lost all this weight! :grrr:

But I wholeheartedly agree that our culture has brainwashed us into thinking that unless we're all abnormally tall and abnormally thin (like so many models and actresses I could name!), we are "ugly" and unworthy. THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway--I have dated both very good-looking men (who were also very slim and athletic), and other men who were bald, obese, and the kind of guys most women would not take a second look at. And do you know which ones I preferred? NOT the "pretty boys" but the others, because the less attractive men (at least in my experience) were far more mature, sensitive, intelligent, kind, and just plain overall more loveable than the strikingly handsome ones. I found out fast that a man's character and disposition matter FAR more to me than his looks--and I honestly think that men (or any man worth having!!) feels the same way about us!!!

So chin up, ladies--we are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug2:

Archived