Mental Health Forums

Text Buddies

whiterainbow

Some people have texting buddies to text each other to encourage themselves to get ill. Well this is a get better site, so why don't we take their idea and have texting buddies to cheer each other up on a stepping stone to recovery?

I know alot of people on here are like me and don't have a defined eating disorder, rather we're somewhere along the spectrum. That doesn't matter, fat or thin, purging or restricting, our lives all centre firmly around food.

Also, I know alot of people on here like me aren't only eating disordered, so it doesn't even have to be around that. I was wondering who else thinks this might be a good idea? :rolleyes:

i think that this is a good idea, its npt always easy to get access to the forum (at work and uni) so texting people who we trust would be really useful i think.

I already text someone from here and find it hugely helpful! xx

• 1 month later...

I think it can be a good idea, but for me, not really liking having friends, I don't think it is. I think maybe it is ok if you need support, and that you are supporting each other, but to actually take it into a friendship, I wouldn't do that again. I don't like people in rl, and to have them get on at me, I just don't need it, it makes me realise why I don't like people in the first place.

I think its a great idea, i unfortunatly dont really know anyone on the forum because Im new but having people to talk to going through similar problems would be very supportive.

It is supportive. There is one person I text on here, and we are very very similar, and we help each other when we are going through tough times, I think to just know how we both feel is a great comfort. On the other hand, I was texting someone else, and that turned out bad. But she wasn't going through what I am, and telling me to just 'not think about the negatives', didn't make me feel great. I think you need to find the right person to text because it is more personal than here.

Yeah i would like that but its bit scary. My parents dont even know my issues truly haven lived with them for 10 yrs when it started dont talk to anyone but stuff now app from on here.

I'd be worried that the other person would require a lot of support and that they may want support when I was unavailable. Plus they actually make me feel worse. I already am careful with what posts I read and respond on this forum depending on how I feel as at times I find this place sometimes makes me very anxious.

That's what I mean, if you do it, you need to be really careful. I would advise that you only do it with someone who is exactly the same as you, in feeling and mental illness.

Archived