Mental Health Forums

My Boss Is Making Me Ill

Data

Sounds good Data. hope the next week goes ok x

Thanks. Lets hope I actually have the courage to turn up at work on Tuesday morning. Right now I just feel like hiding in bed :(.

It's 2/27...how do you feel now? I really hope it's gotten better for you!

I've been there. I love structure as I think from your post you do as well. When I got overwhelmed I too thought of confiding in my boss about my illness. Luckily, I had the presence of mind not to. My last job drove me into the ground and I ended up in the hospital, to get paid I had to tell them why I was in the hospital...it was a domino effect after that with increased meds etc. I was eventually fired because of performance issues, I basically gave up. I had to fill out a medical history for my job now so I'm sure my boss read it, she filed it with the insurance company. This job is 1/3 of what I made before and we're struggling but I really like it so going there in the morning isn't a problem.

You're in school, I would think that would be your #1 priority right now. Maybe your wife will understand you need your mental health now and struggling financially may be worth it in the future. I'm sure she loves you and would understand.

• 2 weeks later...

i actually confided in my boss about my mental illness, and at first, things were fine, she was really supportive. a few weeks later however and it all changed. my meds have a wonderful side effect of making me forgetful and confused sometimes, so i obviously made a few mistakes at work, nothing too terrible. my boss talked to me about this and came out with this wonderful line: "we can't have you using your depression as an excuse". made me feel brilliant. not. since that day i have been looking for a new job. wanna know the best bit? she used to work as a nurse in the mental health sector.

A lot of companies do not bother with doing any type of proper reference anymore because of legal issues. So the only thing they write in a reference is to confirm is that you worked there for x years. I've never worked for any company that does a proper reference anymore. I had a few people who worked for me leave and I was told I could not give them a reference and that the HR department would instead. Instead I gave them a 'personal' reference over the phone to the new employer.

I find micro management to a bit complete pain as well and it does not work in the majority of cirumstances that I have experienced. But you get managers who are so bad at their jobs that they are constantly worried about the performance and progress of those working from them and so they micro manage. They may themselves be micro managed by their own boss. I had a situation at one stage where my immediate 3 bosses were micro managers and I ended up spending more time in progress meetings than I did making any actual progress. I ended up moving to another department where I'm a left to get on with things.

Personally I would look for another job that is less stressful and taking a pay cut may be worth considering for a happier work life.

Good luck.

i actually confided in my boss about my mental illness, and at first, things were fine, she was really supportive. a few weeks later however and it all changed. my meds have a wonderful side effect of making me forgetful and confused sometimes, so i obviously made a few mistakes at work, nothing too terrible. my boss talked to me about this and came out with this wonderful line: "we can't have you using your depression as an excuse". made me feel brilliant. not. since that day i have been looking for a new job. wanna know the best bit? she used to work as a nurse in the mental health sector.

What a twisted sick nurse.

Archived