Mental Health Forums

Dying

rainking

It's something most people put off thinking about. Some people believe that when your numbers up it's up. Others believe they will live forever. The reality is nobody is immortal, What do people feel about dying? Are you afraid of it? Is there a certain age when you do think about it or do you just know when your about to go, I'm talking natural deaths here.

Natural death? What's that? There are no natural deaths in my family.

I'm not scared of dying for any reason. I am scared of suffering. And I am scared of my husband's death.

I have had times when I have thought I was virtually immortal...mainly in my younger days...wheni kept thinking....well I'm only 15. 18. 21. 30, whatever, loads of years to live...never be as old as the parents and their friends. But terrified of dying.

Then I have had times when I have been scared stiff of dying......I kept thinking of all the things I would miss.....family and friends of course.....but just daft everyday things too...washing the dishes....feeding the dog and stuff.

Now in my 50's I have sort of changed my attitude......i think sometimes....i have 30 years to live.....and then think maybe 20..and then at others i think maybe I have only today( which of course is always a possibility at any age).

I don't fear death itself now. I believe there is something after this life but even if there wasn't .....well I don't suppose I would know about it. What I fear now is the manner of death..of possible pain......but more than anything else I think I fear dying alone.

This all sounds as if I think about death all the time ..I don't......just explaining the different 'stages' I have been in!

ps. my dad knew he was going...just couldnt get the day right! called us to the hospital on a couple of days till he finally got it right. He said he could see his parents at the end of the bed waiting for him.....if that is for real it seems there will be a happy reunion and therefore nothing to be scared of.

Sorry..i do go on a bit

chrissie xx

Thats really interesting Chrissie. I am only 20 and dont ever think i will live to b old but in end i maybe will. I hope i will see my Dad when i die because i miss him loads and want to tell him i am sorry.

I am scared of death and i also think bout the simple things in life i will miss like feeding my dog and liein in the sun on a sunny day. But i also think of death as an escape at times :(

I have too much to do before i die atm too much of life and the world to see so i hope i dont die soon!!

tory

Once u r born, the death clock starts ticking. Either way, natural or not. Of course, I strongely believe natural is the course of things, dont ever mess with it.

I am not afraid of dying. Somehow. I just am afraid of not dying, it would be horrible, terrible, cursed.

Anytime, when nature calls, I am ready.

Be safe. Nature awaits. Every thing has a purpose.

Budgie :wub:

I think dying is terrible and people shouldn't do it! I am afraid of dying and yet sometimes I wish it to come fast. I think of all the things I will miss like my daughters wedding, grandkids, all the goodies that come with that. I would miss my animals and I know they would miss me for they love all the wonderful times we share together. I would hope my death to be painless and fast..hopefully in my sleep since I don't want a long drawn out burden on my daughters shoulders. But when death does comes knocking at my door I won't be ready for it for I still have so much more life I want to live and people I want to share it with.

lol bet that shut him up!!

When salespeople phone my house and ask for my dad i say good luck talkin to him hes been dead 5 years and they go real quiet and apoligise.

Well, Rainking, your right, not one of your happiest of posts!

I am terrified of not just dying but being left all those years not knowing what will happen to me. My mum has been dead for 26 years and i often wonder what she is doing, still lied there, bored, I just don't know!

I know people say you go onto better things and then some say you camoe back as say a bird or dog etc, but I would feel loads better if I knew exactly what was going to happen to me.

It is very interesting reading other peoples thoughts.

When people die, I always think what will happen to them and it frightens me.

I have got to stop thinking about this now.

My beliefs make me very comfortable with the thought of dying. Not saying I want it come now but when it does, I'm ready for it.

The only thing that freaks me out is the whole embalming practice. Talk about weird. I don't want to die until I have a nice big farm in the middle of nowhere so I can be burried there, naturally.

Hows this for a morbid thought? At the age of 11 my mom bought me a cemetery plot. How many 6th graders can say they have a plot? Creepy if you ask me. She has since sold it in case you're wondering lol.

It isnt something i am afraid of probably more scared by the way i am going to die. i never thought i would live past 30 and so am kind of not knowing where i am lol

i think my life expenctancy is about 60ish, i read somewhere that left handed people have a shorter life expectancy than right handed people and i am left handed.

flippy

I CAN ANSWER THIS RIGHT NOW SEEING AS THOUGH IM ON LEAVE

IM SCARED OF DROWNING. AND SUFFOCATING. I JUST WANT TO GO TO SLEEP AND NOT WAKE UP. I THINK THATS WHY I OVERDOSE ON SEDATIVES.

Archived