Mental Health Forums

People In The House

toaster

do you get anxious when someone knocks at the door? i get fucking terrified. today we have the gas man fitting a new meter an the leccy man doin the same and the landlord is hovering about and we've had a tesco delivery and someone from the council came

AARRGGHH

i hate this. im not even having to deal with them - winnie is doing it all, i just got the tesco delivery in. but im still anxious as fuck and just want them all to fuck off and leave us alone!

When someone knocks at the door, I hide, I won't answer the door. Just because I don't want to talk to anyone. If it's a delivery, I have to breathe a few times to prepare myself, then I can answer it.

its fucking horrible. everytime i hear them talk i get this wave of panic an theyre gonna be here for hours :(

I don't get anxious anymore, more annoyed. A kind of, "How dare you knock on my door without warning me first". If i don't get a pre-warning or appointment booked, i ain't answering.

I do get a bit paniced if too much is going on around me at once though. I'm very hypervigilent and too much external stimuli makes my head want to explode and i want to curl up into a little ball untill it all goes away.

So i understand how you feel having all these people over at once x

i usually dont answer the door unless i am expecting a parcel, and if i cant see a deliery van i dont normally answer, on the rare occassion i do i wil shut door on them as soon as start talking if bout rubbish/cold callers

Absolutely. Scares the shite out of me! I live in a flat with them buzzer things, so people ring wrong buzzers or just ring my bell to get in. I sit there listening to the bzzzz and thinking buzz off :(

A knock on the door has been known to make me take to my bed for weeks! I don't answer door, I shake when it knocks, I don't answer phone, unless I know the number and am ok talking to the caller. 3 people have my land land number, I always answer that! Mobile, I ignore for weeks on end. Letters, well the postman scares me, so they pile up in front of the door, I can't look at them. Even when we had a really cute postie I would chat to in the pub, I still couldn't look at those envelopes.

I think its totally ok to be this way, thats your door, your space, your choice, A door is there to keep people out, NOT to let them in, unless you choose. Phone is there for your convenience, not so others can ring it demanding that you answer at their convenience!

Sorry, I have odd views lol

L x

It is more scarey for me when they knock and don't ring the bell,I mean you can't miss my door bell so why knock on the bloody door? :mad0233:

I hate people knocking on the door. I normally ignore it. Sometimes I push myself to answer the door, as hey, whats the worse that can happen?? Then I go figuratively beat myself up for answering the stupid, sodding door!

Hiya,

I agree, I find it very intrusive the times my mum was getting work done on this house- last July they were here for a week- it was just horrible . And there was no place to 'hide'.

I felt like they were judging me. I got really para and was having panic attacks also, 4 workmen in my house was just too much to handle.

I have a small sign on my door 'No cold callers please' and have not had any in the 2 weeks since I stuck it on the door. I also have one that says 'No circulars' so I don't get all that poxy junk mail. Anyone coming near the house makes me nervous.

Sorry they are making you so anxious, hope they go soon, hugs, a.m xxx

Same here. Unless I'm expecting someone I don't answer

I can handle the asda delivery but that's only once a fortnight and expected

Postman is ok cause he will have something I want

Unexpected knocks or phone calls are an intrusion

i thought there would be lots of us like this and im right ... im sorry u all feel the same as well :( like u lucyloo i shake when theres an unexpected knock. my gf is a lot more able than me at dealing with ppl so im lucky in that respect an really appreciate that she deals with ppl and answers the fone etc. i wonder how i ever coped alone then i remember that i didnt...

i love where we live now...its a house in its own grounds with only one neighbour who will only be living there some of the time! i hate having the landlord come round, always feel like im going to be in trouble unsure.gif but this is my own fault ive been a terrible tenant in the past. and some of the anxiety is because of the states ive allowed my homes to get into! my old flat was convenient for a recluse - it was an attic flat. i loved that aspect of it. but like u anne marie we once had workmen in the building for 2 wks :( they asked me if they could paint the inside of my door and i said yes , in about half an hour - i then barricaded myself in until they gave up, which was a fair few days! my old lanlord was very understanding of my mental health problems and my anxiety and never got on my case :)

i coming home from group once and i saw my landlord parked outside the building i lived in. i went and sat at the bus stop for over and hour, where he couldnt see me but i could see his car, just so i didnt have to communicate with him blink.gif

the thing is we cant change the world to not call, to not knock etc...so just gotta deal with it! i still and will always fucking hate it and wish everyone would fuck off and leave me alone. i hope ill own my own house one day and just hide away ...

Toaster, I totally understand.

Sometimes I even put my phone on silent so I dont have to speak to anyone, even friends :(

There's an intercom system to our flats now, so its a bit better.

When there was no intercom, a salesman from a well known gas company conned his way into my house, by taking advantage of my gullability by asking if he could look at the electricity meter outside the house. I ended up signing for a gas/electric/telephone deal all with that gas company.

Maybe its a sign of anxiety, when we just want the rest of the world to give us some space.

Yes I do! i hate it when someone knocks on the door, if there is someone else in the house I won't open it, if i'm alone i usually just freeze in a panic and can't open it. mostly the ppl don't actually come in but if they do it makes me really anxious. i stay away from them, i hide, i really don't want them to see me. my parents used to make me say hello to visitors but they dont now because the visitors usually don't like me. when we had some work done in the bathroom i got up before they came, had breakfast and spent the rest of the day in the attic, my parents put a portable toilet up there and antiseptic hand wipes so there was no need for me to leave the room.

one thing i can't do it go to the toilet when there is someone else in the house, no matter how much i want to go, I can't make myself get up and go into the bathroom. I do go when someone is actually staying with us like my sister and i managed when the workmen were there but if they're just visiting for a while i can't go.

I hate answering the phone too, usually i wait until they've gone then i get the number and go through the address book and then if its my parents on a mobile, i phone them back and if its someone we know, i say 'X called'. I think thats better than talking to someone because if i answer i'd just tell them my parents arent there and if i dont answer they work that out for themselves but my mum told me i was crazy and got really angry with me so i'm more scared of not answering it atm :(

one thing i can't do it go to the toilet when there is someone else in the house, no matter how much i want to go, I can't make myself get up and go into the bathroom. I do go when someone is actually staying with us like my sister and i managed when the workmen were there but if they're just visiting for a while i can't go.

im the same! i end up with terrible stomach aches :(

if it were me i would answer the door if im expecting people. however if it would be a company i would expect a phone call before hand and i would ask them for details such as the name of company who will be around and the name.... if i dont see ID with the name of company and the name i expect then i would not let them.

today ive got a rape adviser coming around i dont know what she looks like but i know what company she is from and the name i would need to check ID before i let her in.

Archived