Mental Health Forums

Anti-Anxiety Meds.

BimoUK

Hey all, was wondering if you could offer me some advice?

Just lately I've been suffering serious bouts of anxiety, sometimes bordering on full blown panic attacks. I'm seing the doctor tomorrow to get a top up on my ADs and I think I'm going to ask him to give me something for the anxiety.

What I'm worried about is what effect anti-anxiety meds have. Will they make me all dopey and unable to drive and such?

Any advice or experiences will be greatly recieved.

XX

i'd go for either a beta blocker like proanolol or something safe with an anti anx side effect rather than summat like diaz cos way less addictive and sedating...

for instance i have a low dose of amitriptyline (TCA) prescribed for anti anx - and that was OK even when i was taking an SSRI as my main anti-d - cos the TCA was a low dose so they didnt interfere...

neither option made me drowsy, but drugs affect ppls different ways

but food for thought to take to your doc...

Should probably add to this that I'm currently on Lofepramine, in case anyone knows of any interactions between Anti-Anxiety meds and tricyclic anti-depressants.

Thanks for your input Chips!

Can I ask, how and when do you take your anti-anx? Is it something like an AD that builds up over time or is it something to take as and when you need it??

XX

hmmmm

are you happy with Lofepramine - cos the other TCAs that I know of are dosulupin and amitrip and both are joint anti-d and anti-anx... maybe a switch would help you...

not sure bout taking 2 x TCAs together - but yer doc would be able to clarify that...

o and the amitrip - i just take 10mg when i need - it is the lowest childs dose LMAO ! but works for anti anx with me... how much of that is psychosomatic i dunno !

To be fair Chips, I've found the lofep to be a great big pile of meh, but have kept on with it at my GPs insistence that I "give it a chance."

Maybe now would indeed be an opportune time to make a(nother) switch.

worth an ask at least... :)

SSRIs are also anti anx i think, but i dint get on with them cos they screwed with my sleep !

good luck and let us know how u get on...

oooooooo

just remembered, if you want to go down the herbal route the following is awesome...

Rescue Remedy / Recovery Remedy

Of the shelf of most chemists... have a google

It might be that the Lofepramine can be adding to your anxity, it depends on how your brains wired up hun.

I take Benzo's as anti-anxiety, but only PRN (as and when i need it) and i don't abuse them, and if taken on a daily basis you quickly buid up a tolerance to them, meaning to get the same effect you have to take more, hence why some people gett addicted to them. Off the top of my head i'd say a beta-blocker may help, or change of AD if you're feeling the need for something AA every day.

Hope that helped

Dx

I take a Benzo PRN or as needed for sleep. Mostly I would take one at night to help with pre-bedtime anxiety, the worse for me is being anxious and exhausted. Is your anxiety kicking up mostly in the day or night?

have been prescribed pregabalin (lyrica) for anx

its anticonvulsant used for fits/pain and now licensed for anx

dont know what its like - erm - not taken it

but pdoc and cpn seem to think its marvellous

and not like taking diaz or sim, which will make anx worse

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Saw doc yesterday. He ignored everything I said about anxiety, shoved a script for more Lofepramine in my hand and sent me on my way. Great.

ur doc sounds like my doc :(

can you change yuor doc at all - ask for a second opinion

sadly sometimes we have to fight for what we need and that sux

Saw doc yesterday. He ignored everything I said about anxiety, shoved a script for more Lofepramine in my hand and sent me on my way. Great.

i'm on lofepramine too, and been kinda getting the same as you. not just with doc but with psychs and stuff too. grr!!

I just feel so let down.

I saw this guy for the first time last month and he was so good, spoke with me for ages, seemed really understanding and like he really wanted to help me so I made a point of getting an appointment with him this time and he's like this.

I think I've now seen every doctor at my surgery at one time or another and none of them seem to give a shit about me.

At least today I'm too numb for anxiety.

i'm on lofepramine too, and been kinda getting the same as you. not just with doc but with psychs and stuff too. grr!!

Psych won't even see me now.

Saw me once, called me an alcoholic, gave me some leaflets on talk therapy and told me to go and sort it out myself.

Psych won't even see me now.

Saw me once, called me an alcoholic, gave me some leaflets on talk therapy and told me to go and sort it out myself.

sounds like a right fecking eejit!!!

I just feel so let down.

I saw this guy for the first time last month and he was so good, spoke with me for ages, seemed really understanding and like he really wanted to help me so I made a point of getting an appointment with him this time and he's like this.

I think I've now seen every doctor at my surgery at one time or another and none of them seem to give a shit about me.

do you think it is cos you work... like "if you can hold down a job you must be ok"

cos that's the feeling i had from mine

whatever happened to prevention is better than cure - help me before i go totally off my chump and lose my job... etc etc

sorry - have strong feelings on this one :(

I just feel so let down.

do you think it is cos you work... like "if you can hold down a job you must be ok"

cos that's the feeling i had from mine

whatever happened to prevention is better than cure - help me before i go totally off my chump and lose my job... etc etc

sorry - have strong feelings on this one :(

I think that's exactly it. In fact, it's something else the psych said to me, practically word for word.

I'm just about ready to give up completely, stop trying to get help, stop taking the meds, and then when I totally fucking crack at least I'll be able to say "See, told you."

My GP basically did the same to me. Won't give me anything for the anxiety because I am on such a high dose of Venlafaxine (I'm not even on the maximum dose).

Some of them are just a complete waste of space.

(((Bimo)))

Hiya

I never had excessive anxiety until after i was started on ssri's, aged 28.

3 years later i was on 225mg venalfexadine a day, and leaping out of my own skin. I was hosp'ed and given xanax.

It worked like a charm. I went back to work teaching, but my anx was always present, so they gave me more xanax (alaprazolam).

Then my 12 yr relationship split really nastily- cue med increase. I knew benzo's were technically 'addictive' but it never dawned on me that I was physically addicted. Not until I had a falling out with the then consultant and she refused to write a script for me... i was on 6 meds, including xanax & dalmane (benzo's).

To say i was unwell was an understatement. That was 8 years ago, and I am still on xanax. I have to bring them everywhere, I dream about them... I panic I have lost them... (i now keep them in a locked safe beside my bed as they cause BAD short term memory loss, so thence I was constantly forgetting where i had put them down.)

Benzos- (Valium, Xanax, Ativan etc) DO work for anxiety really well...apparantly they are not recommended for ppls with BPD, as they can cause impulsiveness, and they are prone to abuse / addiction. I was shocked when I realised I was physically addicted. I did not have the BPD dx when started on them.

I started buying them online in 07, until last year when I realised how futile it was- that I had wasted a decade of my life being obsessed with tablets. I am still a bit obsessed by them, but i have my daily ration (3) and will not allow self to procure any more.

TBH, it would be easier for me to withdraw from my opoid med than to come off xanax.

So, i guess what i am saying is that they are so easy to abuse, so easy to become dependant on. Unless you are strict and can regulate them to every few days

Saharah says she takes one every few nights - if you are that kind of person, fair play to ye and it's great that you do not abuse things that have the potential to be abused.

Anxiety is horrible - it frazzles your nerves and wears you down. There is Buspar which is a non addictive pill for anxiety. I tried it but felt like was walking in marshmallow land on it :blink:, a friend says it helps her.

I am sorry your Dr. does not seem to be listening to you. I shared my story to highlight the pros & cons of benzodiazapines. I really hope you can get a Dr. / psych to take your anxiety seriously. Best wishes, Anne Marie

Archived