Mental Health Forums

Baking/cooking/eating :)

beckitty24

So yesterday after a bit of a downfall and a pick up of moods, I decided to make a cake. Baking and cooking for others always seems to bring my mood up - what's more fun that making a mess and eating cake mixture eh?

Turned out a bit of a disaster but with the help of loadsssss (really, loads) of butter icing, it tastes alright.

I just wondered what everyone's favourite cake recipes, or any recipes are? Or even what your favourite foods are.

For me, nothing beats a veggie burger from Nando's with some vanilla cheesecake, yum yum :)

xxx

So yesterday after a bit of a downfall and a pick up of moods, I decided to make a cake. Baking and cooking for others always seems to bring my mood up - what's more fun that making a mess and eating cake mixture eh?

Turned out a bit of a disaster but with the help of loadsssss (really, loads) of butter icing, it tastes alright.

I just wondered what everyone's favourite cake recipes, or any recipes are? Or even what your favourite foods are.

For me, nothing beats a veggie burger from Nando's with some vanilla cheesecake, yum yum :)

xxx

I must admit I was intrigued by your reply in the checking in thread regarding the use of baking as an anger management technique I had envisioned a pie fight or rock cakes being used braveheart style :).

Favorite recipe has to be pancakes very easy to make and good fun to do with the kids. Recipe wise I prefer the delia smith recipe which is found here:

Delia's Pancakes

The tip is to add the melted butter to the mix too. It really makes them a lot tastier and lighter.

Enjoy.

Jamie

xxx.

my fav cakes are choc cake, lemon cake choc orange cake, u get picture just cake except carrot cake.

and muffins any muffins but like fruit ones best.

scones any fruit ones.

oh and choc, but has to be cadburys or galaxy, thorntons etc , dont like shops own brands

i have a v sweet tooth if not guessed already.

i also love curries and chilli con carne.

we have the most amazing cake shop near us :masked: but i am on a diet so all stuff i love cant eat :(

cad

my fav cakes are choc cake, lemon cake choc orange cake, u get picture just cake except carrot cake.

scones any fruit ones.

oh and choc, but has to be cadburys or galaxy, thorntons etc , dont like shops own brands

we have the most amazing cake shop near us :masked: but i am on a diet so all stuff i love cant eat :(

cad

:D

cadance when you are off the diet I shall bake you a celebratory happy cake :) with smiley face frosting? haha. You can still eat cake if you are on a diet you know, just swap the butter for sunflower oil or something and the sugar for sweetener, canderel or something :)

toocrazy I would love to cook for everyone! It just makes me soo happy. Whenever it's anyone's birthday I MAKE THE CAKE. I'm getting excited thinking about it now. On valentines day I made loads of little fairy cakes, a pineapple upside down cake and a victoria sponge. My boyfriend was a bit overwhelmed I think.

Moondragon it would be all too easy to have food fights to release anger, but seeing someones face when you've made a good (or bad) little something for them is even better. I just love doing things for other people I guess.

I'm making brownies and 'chunky monkeys' tonight, which I am told by my housemate are like chocolatey good cookies.

Don't worry guys, I don't eat ALLL of the cake :)

Thanks for the recipe moondragon, I'll make it over the next few weeks and send you some pictures! haha

xxxx

scones any fruit ones.

cad

I can cook a tasty prawn/vegetable curry also, you sound like a girl after my own foodloving heart! xxx

Moondragon it would be all too easy to have food fights to release anger, but seeing someones face when you've made a good (or bad) little something for them is even better. I just love doing things for other people I guess.

I'm making brownies and 'chunky monkeys' tonight, which I am told by my housemate are like chocolatey good cookies.

Thanks for the recipe moondragon, I'll make it over the next few weeks and send you some pictures! haha

xxxx

I was just wondering and now I understand alot better :), you are right wanting to do things for others is an admirable quality. I'm sure your boyfriend appreciates your culinary talent.

As for the pancakes have fun, I find them a quick and easy fix on a weekend and they are good to eat. I would love to see the pictures, but the main thing is you enjoy doing them.

Jamie

xxx.

Hi Bec, food's a great topic. I love homemade cake, sounds yummy. I used to make an applesauce carrot cake that was always a hit but haven't made it in a long time. You like veggie burgers, have you tried tofu pups? It's basically a soy hotdog and really good on whole grains bread with spicy mustard, red onion and baby cuke slices. I like it anyway. Haven't had that in a long time either and making me hungry. :)

Applesauce carrot cake? My ears have pricked up! What was that like?!

Tofu pups? I haven't tried that either I cooked tofu once, not realising it was out of date, and haven't had it since! That sounds lovely though. What are cuke slices?

You should make them, then I can see pictures and be hungry with you! :) x

xxxx

I was just wondering and now I understand alot better :), you are right wanting to do things for others is an admirable quality. I'm sure your boyfriend appreciates your culinary talent.

As for the pancakes have fun, I find them a quick and easy fix on a weekend and they are good to eat. I would love to see the pictures, but the main thing is you enjoy doing them.

Jamie

xxx.

I think he does, but I think he also resents it because when we first got together I would cook for him and he'd never really had vegetarian food. As a big northern military lad, he was very reluctant to like it, because MAN EAT MEAT and all that fluff ha.

But now he enjoys it which makes me happy, and often he will say it doesn't taste that different.

We went to a vegan food fair before christmas and there were lots of nibbles for people to try and he said the cakes he tried there were the best he'd ever had. So that's my next conquest - vegan baking!

No worries about me enjoy making them, I definitely will! :D

I can never seem to get chocolate muffins fluffy enough, they turn out harder like jaffa cakes.

I don't have scales so I just do everything by viscosity and taste hah! x

Applesauce carrot cake? My ears have pricked up! What was that like?!

Tofu pups? I haven't tried that either I cooked tofu once, not realising it was out of date, and haven't had it since! That sounds lovely though. What are cuke slices?

You should make them, then I can see pictures and be hungry with you! :) x

Cuke is cucumber slices. :)

Tofu is really good when cooked and prepared properly, but definitely not when out of date. :)

The carrot cake is good, very moist with raisins in it too.

I think he does, but I think he also resents it because when we first got together I would cook for him and he'd never really had vegetarian food. As a big northern military lad, he was very reluctant to like it, because MAN EAT MEAT and all that fluff ha.

But now he enjoys it which makes me happy, and often he will say it doesn't taste that different.

We went to a vegan food fair before christmas and there were lots of nibbles for people to try and he said the cakes he tried there were the best he'd ever had. So that's my next conquest - vegan baking!

No worries about me enjoy making them, I definitely will! :D

Thats really cool I was a vegetarian for a few years (sorry bacon is too good), I still find vegetarian food to be good. healthy and very tasty, so I am glad he enjoys it more. With regards to cooking do you use meat substitutes like quorn? One of my favorite dishes I used to do were quorn fajita's very tasty :)

Jamie

xxx.

Ah sorry Maize, I must look like an idiot for saying that now! :ashamed0005: I will have a look online and see how to make them and let you know how I get on. Need to eat everything in my freezer first!

Jamie you don't need to remind me how good bacon is :( When I went to that vegan food fair a lot of the vegans there said they really missed eggs and bacon. I could NEVERRR give up eggs! Need the protein.

I cooked quorn fajita's last night funnily enough! Verry spice though ha!

Yeah I use it in a lot of meals that I cook. Although sometimes I eat fish, mainly prawns though.

I made quite a nice cottage pie the other week using sweet potato and lots of spices and my bf loved it, I was very happy!

xx

I'm all over the board, lol. I have "personalities" who think they are vegetarian and also vegan but I eat meat so go figure. The vegan personality has been known to throw away everything, including the butter, and I really can't afford to have food thrown away like that. OMG!! :wacko:

Oh goodness! That must be difficult to deal with?! I suppose at least you are getting a variety in foods? xx

sorry to say i'm a commited carnivor maize hun

but i have been baking this evening after work for comic releif on friday. i've made luxury fruit and nut flapjack and plain flapjack all cooking whilst our tea has been cooking so it saves energy as well

hugs to all and this is a great thread

nic

xxx

"cadance when you are off the diet I shall bake you a celebratory happy cake with smiley face frosting? haha. You can still eat cake if you are on a diet you know, just swap the butter for sunflower oil or something and the sugar for sweetener, canderel or something

toocrazy I would love to cook for everyone! It just makes me soo happy. Whenever it's anyone's birthday I MAKE THE CAKE. I'm getting excited thinking about it now. On valentines day I made loads of little fairy cakes, a pineapple upside down cake and a victoria sponge. My boyfriend was a bit overwhelmed I think."

bec u can cook for me anytime :masked: :)

I LOVE food topics too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All this stuff sounds d e l i c i o u s !!!!!!!!!

Have no idea why, gets me excited like messy house stories. I LOVE messy people too :wub: ..dunno ???? :inlove3:

I hope it keeps going. Sadly I don't eat hardly anything..got irrational/psycho food fears :unsure: but LOVE people that cook and eat wild stuff. (I'm always starving..I've been eating the same thing for 7 months :ashamed0005:) :sofa:

Maize--ohhhhh xxxxxx you eat brave healthy mystery foods..do you cook them good??? :unsure: cadance...I will eat if someone cooks it and it sounds yummy...fairy cakes...I'm there ((sweets are safe foods)) :wacko:

:bigarmhug[1]:

Archived