Mental Health Forums

Were The Us Justified In Dropping The Big One

rainking

Were the US justified in dropping the Big One?

How many people think that the United Stated were justified in dropping that big Atomic bomb twice on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

I am not sure it was the right thing to do, although I have no idea what else could have been done.

Some thought the Japs were about to surrender while others think the Japs would have never threw in the towel.

Dropping those bombs was in no doubt a tragic event in history and who knows perhaps it did save lots of American, British and Japenese lives.

Were the US justified in dropping the Big One? 

How many people think that the United Stated were justified in dropping that big Atomic bomb twice on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

I am not sure it was the right thing to do, although I have no idea what else could have been done.

Some thought the Japs were about to surrender while others think the Japs would have never threw in the towel.

Dropping those bombs was in no doubt a tragic event in history and who knows perhaps it did save lots of American, British and Japenese lives.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Japans cabinet were divided in their thoughts on surrender.Whilst one faction were totally against surrender, and indeed a minister commited Hari-kari soon after the surrender, the doves in the cabinet saw surrender as the only way to save their emperor.Otherwise they too would have continued fighting to the bitter end. One has to remember the Japanese people thought of the emperor as a God and would therefore not want his destruction, which would surely happen if they did not surrender.The doves won out.

The Americans thought dropping the bombs would bring a speedy end to the war, less fatalities in the long run and bring a quicker end to the mistreatment of American prisoners of war. I also think there was an element of revenge involved for the attack on Pearl harbour amongst other things.

Whilst the americans had called on an unconditional surrender, they had in fact discussed surrender including the survival of the emperor. Maybe if they had declared this, told them that they would invade the mainland and also told the Japanese that the Russians would invade Japan from the north carrying on the fight, the Japanese would have surrendered much more quickly....(i think many Japanese thought defeat was imminent anyway with the almost total destruction of their infrastructure)...and saved the 'necessity' of using the atomic bomb.

Diplomacy over military, may well have worked.So I would say that it was unjustified. But this is said with hindsight and one does not know what things were *really* like at the time.

chrissie xx(sorry about the history lesson..once a teacher always a teacher!)

i feel uncomfortable with this question/topic

being a usa'er already underfire for what we are doing in iraq....

i'd like to belong to a community here without being bashed

just my oppinion

bets

I'm not bashing the Americans..I am just stating the facts as I see them, as I have studied. Maybe rainking has more to say on the topic? Maybe your question was directed more at him for starting the thread?

I suppose we do have the right of free speech and it is an interesting topic. It would be very interesting to see what the Americans think of this. other than as bashing.

I think as allies of the Americans, we are in the Iraqi situation together, so any perceived 'bashing' of the Americans, involves bashing the Brits too. I have my views on the Iraqui war...but I don't think airing them here at this point is appropriate.

I am sure Josh will decide what should and should not be posted as this place is his baby and will surely decide whether to throw the baby out with the bathwater! I certainly feel i can use my brain a bit more here after months of depression that made any thoughts and opinions impossible.

chrissie xx

chrissie,

My comment was not directed at you. My comment was only how this topic made me feel. I also believe we have free speech but my freedom is as unlimited as yours.

I am not a political person, or a history buff. I am glad you find this topic interesting and i think you are free to expond on it as much as u want. This does not alter the way i feel about the question.

Josh does have rights to decide what is and is not posted. I have rights to oppions about how something... anything, makes me feel. The post was not intended to throw out this question.

This was not an attack on you or rainking... it was merely my feelings. I appologize profusely if you or he felt it was. I believe i did state it was just my oppinion.

bets

who thought it was right to knock down the twin towers or bomb bali and kill all those innocent ppl???

is it justified to send all those men and women to iraq and kill innocent women and children for something they are not responsibile for doing.

its not right to humiliate and sodamise the men in prison either and videotape it with smiles on the faces of the ppl filming it.

this is all terrorisim at its worst and its gonna get worse and i hope that im not around to witness any of it.

if a bomb is coming my way ill be dead before it hits anywhere near me.

Can't speak for rainking...who can? lol, but it's ok with me bets....you have every right to speak your mind and good on you for doing so.......sorry that you feel bad about the topic......lets lighten up......go and read my pathetic joke!!!! or my stupid chat up lines...i think I'll go look for some more......take care bets.....glad we can talk and not fall out over this.....perhaps I'm just too opiniated these days.....6 months ago i had no opinion on anything...and didn't care whether there was life around me or on Mars, lol. Luv chrissie xx :)

ok by me... i can lighten way up

i know what u mean about 6 mo. ago... i was nearly catatonic and not speaking unless i had to... now my oppinion keeps dropping from my lips as tho someone cares to hear it!

also i read ur cheesy chat lines..... LOVED THEM... thx for posting

bets

Archived