Mental Health Forums

Is There An Opposite To Anorexia

shakemymilk

Ok, so I am obsessed with food. I know that people with anorexia do everything they can to lose weight and that they are obsessed with it, and they think they are fat even though they need to gain weight.

If that is correct then I think I have the opposite. I am obsessed with eating, but I have anxiety so I sometimes throw up everything I try to eat.

I am just obsessed with food, I count every calorie I eat, I don't even need to look at the packet any more for nutritional advice, I instinctively know how much fat and protein and calories are in every food, including fruit and meat and drinks.

I am obsessed with healthy too, it makes me feel sick to eat chocolate and biscuits and crisps, it feels like I am causing damage to my body if I eat junk, which is true in a way but I am obsessed.

also if I don't eat enough I get depressed, if my anxiety stops me from eating I get angry and throw a tantrum, in the same way an anorexic gets angry if they cannot resist eating something and they feel they've done something really bad, but they feel happier if they manage to eat nothing for a whole day, and for me it is the same, I feel happy if I manage to eat a tonne of healthy food in a day, because just like anorexics want to be skinny because they think it makes them look better, I want to be the opposite of skinny because I feel it looks better, and people tell me I am fine, but I am obsessed with being bigger.

So is there such thing as the opposite of anorexia, if so do I have it and should I be worried?

Many thanks for reading

If you are eating a lot, then feeling anxious and throwing it up, that could be binge / purge cycle of bulimia. Its not the opposite of anorexia, its just different. Bulimics usually maintain normal weight.

Hiya-

Have you ever heard the term Orthorexia - i am pretty obsessed w eating also- but i am always on a vegan or macrobiotic kick. Heres a def from wiki- Orthorexia nervosa (also known as orthorexia) is a term used by Steven Bratman to describe people who have developed a fixation with healthy or righteous eating[1] and has been referred to as a mental disorder.[2] It is not a medically recognized term.

best wishes kitteh

Sounds like a general obsessive behaviour, caused by anxiety about not being healthy enough. I get this too. As obsessions go I don't think its the worst you can have, but try to remind yourself that people lived long before there were labels on food packets and got along fine!

If you are eating a lot, then feeling anxious and throwing it up, that could be binge / purge cycle of bulimia. Its not the opposite of anorexia, its just different. Bulimics usually maintain normal weight.

No I don't throw up because I feel anxious about eating a lot, I have an anxiety disorder because of stress and panic which makes me throw up food, I get annoyed if I throw up food. I am just obsessed with being fatter

i believe there is an opposite, but not how u described for me anyway. just how ana's can see fat on themselves i often cannot see the weight, i can mentally shave it off, im terrified of being thin, but hate being fat, i can restrict/binge, im always thinking if food.

and when i described it in detail to myt she said it was really like anaorexia in reverse

What is your BMI? Are you a healthy weight for your height?

Also, the main question is, do your eating habits cause you problems with things, like everyday things, or cause you distress so much that you want to change?

Or are you quite happy with the way you are?

What is your BMI? Are you a healthy weight for your height?

Also, the main question is, do your eating habits cause you problems with things, like everyday things, or cause you distress so much that you want to change?

Or are you quite happy with the way you are?

Hi, my BMI is 20 and I am Male 21, so I am just in the healthy weight range. But yes my eating does cause me problems, if I cannot eat I get really panicky and anxious, also I can spend over an hour eating things like just a sandwich, and whilst I am trying to eat it I feel like throwing up, but I have to eat it because I feel ugly if I don't get food down me. Eating shouldn't be a problem for anyone, but I hate the fact I struggle so much to do it. Also if I don't eat enough calories in a day I get angry, I am obsessed with eating basically and when I can't eat I get very annoyed =(

There are many different types of body dysmorpia

With regards to people over-eating, well that could be due to many psychological conditions. It can be a form of self harm or could be a way of enabling a dependant/histrionic personality, it could even branch into a person with munchausens, it can also be proximal whereby a parent will over-feed a child so as to recieve attention (munchausens, DPD, HPD) ... there is also the "bodybuilders body dysmorphia" , although different to over eating, they believe they are always a lot smaller in size than they actually are and so obsessivly eat and exercise to get bigger.

It sounds like you do have a problem with food, and need some help to sort it out.

Just because your BMI is in the healthy range, doesn't mean your problem is less important, I just wondered if you were a dangerously low or high weight.

I think the best person to talk to is probably your GP, how do you feel about that? I don't know what they will do/say, but it's the best place to start I think. <3

I eat a LOT. I am very fat now, it is incredibly depressing. I struggle to get up out of a seat. I can't walk quickly. I can't get clothes to fit me.

dunno if it would help, but saw this online and remembered your post... maybe will help you...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12759993

Ok, so I am obsessed with food. I know that people with anorexia do everything they can to lose weight and that they are obsessed with it, and they think they are fat even though they need to gain weight.

If that is correct then I think I have the opposite. I am obsessed with eating, but I have anxiety so I sometimes throw up everything I try to eat.

I am just obsessed with food, I count every calorie I eat, I don't even need to look at the packet any more for nutritional advice, I instinctively know how much fat and protein and calories are in every food, including fruit and meat and drinks.

I am obsessed with healthy too, it makes me feel sick to eat chocolate and biscuits and crisps, it feels like I am causing damage to my body if I eat junk, which is true in a way but I am obsessed.

also if I don't eat enough I get depressed, if my anxiety stops me from eating I get angry and throw a tantrum, in the same way an anorexic gets angry if they cannot resist eating something and they feel they've done something really bad, but they feel happier if they manage to eat nothing for a whole day, and for me it is the same, I feel happy if I manage to eat a tonne of healthy food in a day, because just like anorexics want to be skinny because they think it makes them look better, I want to be the opposite of skinny because I feel it looks better, and people tell me I am fine, but I am obsessed with being bigger.

So is there such thing as the opposite of anorexia, if so do I have it and should I be worried?

Many thanks for reading

The term is "bigorexia".It can also be a trait of disorders such as binge eating disorder, however.Generally, it's a form of body dysmorphic disorder.

Archived