Mental Health Forums

Green Fingers?

fedup!

Hi all xxxx

Anyone on here a happy gardener? Do you love pottering in your garden? It's something I've never ever done. ANy hints or tips about growing a few pretty shrubby pots and tubs would be much appreciated xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't buy anything that grows too quickly. You might find its not something you enjoy but then have lots of maintenance to do. I found it was more interesting to grow useful plants so I have things like a gooseberry bush. I'm also looking at getting native plants as they are supposed to help the bees.

All you really need to do is buy plants in pots and check the guidelines for where they like to be placed. Sometimes the pots they come in are too small so you may want to repot them straight away - but you will probably want to put them in nice pots anyway. Apart from that water them and prune them when it says so on the guidelines.

im a keen gardener and have a lovely garden which is all ready for planting. Im a flower person and love to attract butterflies ladybugs, bees etc. This year im having lots of flowers and lots of colour (or thats wat im hoping im growing from seeds this year)im going for the tallest sunflower aswell :)

at the quality of the plant if you wouldn't give it as a gift don't buy it unless you want to save the stragglers.

i also grow salad leaves and some veggies but only little bits. its a very theraputic thing to do and rewarding in the full bloom or when crop is ready.

i could go on for ages about gardening but i won't bore you

sometime i want to get a before and after shot of the garden so how it is now and then in full bloom

oooh cheers for these replies. I hear what you're saying evade re: re-potting etc and I think for now i should grow something more useful as it will give me the incentive to take care of it.

MissUnd - go you with your bloomings!! Love the sound of your lovely garden - please put pics up. I agree - it must be so therapeutic. Was coming home from work today and in the past 24 hrs all the trees and bushes were full on in their greenery and blossom, makes me feel all wibbly and happy :wub:

Am wondering if, now that spring is sprung, either of you fancy requesting a 'pinned' gardening thread? Would be ace for folk on here to swap tips, put pics up and for absolute beginners like me to get inspired!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A pinned thread sounds like a good idea. It might motivate me to actually get back to the garden as its been neglected for a while.

well i have a growing room, i grow about 50 medicinal herbs, rare veg and bonsai fruit trees.

AND i just measured my record-attempt asparagus and it has grown to 3 foot 6 inches, i think if i get it too over 5 foot i should have an indoor record, the outdoor record it about 21 foot but that a lot different :P

I love talking about my plants if you ever want to converse about gardening :)

well i have a growing room, i grow about 50 medicinal herbs, rare veg and bonsai fruit trees.

AND i just measured my record-attempt asparagus and it has grown to 3 foot 6 inches, i think if i get it too over 5 foot i should have an indoor record, the outdoor record it about 21 foot but that a lot different :P

I love talking about my plants if you ever want to converse about gardening :)

If anyone is interested and wants to see.... here is my growing room...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPavybHAkBE

hi hun

i hold a diploma in horticulture and volunteer at my daughters school gardening club and the local community garden so if you need any help just holler

love

nic

xxxxx

Absolutely love this thread - am gonna request it gets pinned in the 'Creative' section. So so many peeps say how gardening/re-connecting with nature does wonders for the soul - will hopefully inspire everyone to pick up where they left off, start from scratch or share their green fingered fabness!

LOVE your growing room, last, so organised and lovely - you obviously take great pride in it. Get well soon cucumber plant!

weed - its ace you're volunteering at your daughter's school - how inspiring for them to have a lovely hands on expert. Hope you're rightly proud hun! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The pound shops have quite a good gardening section - I bought a long handled claw type thingy, which has been excellent in making weeding easier.

This is my first year of trying proper gardening - I've got salad leaves and tomato plants growing from seed.

My dog may dig it all up though!

Absolutely love this thread - am gonna request it gets pinned in the 'Creative' section. So so many peeps say how gardening/re-connecting with nature does wonders for the soul - will hopefully inspire everyone to pick up where they left off, start from scratch or share their green fingered fabness!

LOVE your growing room, last, so organised and lovely - you obviously take great pride in it. Get well soon cucumber plant!

weed - its ace you're volunteering at your daughter's school - how inspiring for them to have a lovely hands on expert. Hope you're rightly proud hun! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, i'm glad you like it, i just realized why the cucumber plant is dieing....it got 2 flowers and i didnt notice and so didnt manage to pollinate it, that is the second time ive done that, the same happened to my marrow plant :(, if anyone knows how to get another shot a pollination let me know?? thanks

Also - anyone help with this one? There's an alleyway next to my house with a stretch of scrubby grass by it - full of weeds and the odd rogue flowery thing too (look, I told you I was a beginner :) !)

Because I'm a daft hippy, I've bought three packets of seed - lavender, mixed wild flowers and 'cottage garden annuals'. Would LOVE to just scatter them on the scrubby weedy stretch and watch them grow, to encourage the poor old bees who i worry about and to also cheer people up as they walk past ( :ashamed0005: )

The packets say March/April is a good time to sow them. So...

1) can i just scatter them, will they grow, do I have to rake them etc?!

2) can i do it this weekend? Weather forecast says it's going to be colder but not freezing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have just bought some Chincherinchees, Harlequin flowers and Agapanthus bulbs to plant today - so will post pics when and IF they grow xx

Also - anyone help with this one? There's an alleyway next to my house with a stretch of scrubby grass by it - full of weeds and the odd rogue flowery thing too (look, I told you I was a beginner :) !)

Because I'm a daft hippy, I've bought three packets of seed - lavender, mixed wild flowers and 'cottage garden annuals'. Would LOVE to just scatter them on the scrubby weedy stretch and watch them grow, to encourage the poor old bees who i worry about and to also cheer people up as they walk past ( :ashamed0005: )

The packets say March/April is a good time to sow them. So...

1) can i just scatter them, will they grow, do I have to rake them etc?!

2) can i do it this weekend? Weather forecast says it's going to be colder but not freezing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would germinate them in a propagator and then transplant them, that way you can decide where you want them and you dont have to worry too much about sowing at the correct time of year.

OK! Where would I buy said propogator?

PS Whats a propogator....................! Am v dim at this, sorry! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK! Where would I buy said propogator?

PS Whats a propogator....................! Am v dim at this, sorry! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A propagator is essentially a tray with a cover, you will need nutrient-rich soil and the best pots are net pots (like in my video) so that the roots can freely spread out... Fill up the pots...make a 1/2 inch deep hole with a pencil then drop a few seeds in and cover with soil and put in the propagator, but make sure that you dont let the water level go above about 2mm or the soil can develop mould, the best thing (if you can get it) is called capillary matting and only gives the plant how much water they need. I use a moisture meter to check the soil has the right amount of moisture, but they isnt nessasary in most cases... i hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me :)

try the pound shop or wilkos they both sell propagators w lids. if you haven't got capillary matting use some kitchen towel, about 8 sheets folded on the perforations will do, to provide a matting for underneath the pots. which will hold the water and just keep that moist at all times. it does the same job.

hugs

nic

Ohhhh OK! Thanks you two xxxxxxxxxxxx

If anyone else has any gardening tips, questions, news or pics please post here!

*fedup! appears to have turned into daytime TV presenter (loving it, though)*

Happy gardening folks! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 3 weeks later...

hello thought i would make this active again. i haven't been well but i have some pics of my garden so far its a working process it was a tip when we first got here and the fact ive injured my back after find a well (yes i said well) in it doesn't help matter but hey here are some pics ill put on up off the well to so you know im not totally mad :lol:

SDC10843.jpg

my garden from my back door... we are doing well :D. That round circle thing on the left hand side of the pic is the new founded well

SDC10840.jpg

freshly planted flower bed.. its going to have alot of flowers in it to attract flutterbys and only the nicest of bees :lol:

more pics lol

SDC10841.jpg

this is where im going to be supping my cocktails come summer.. we are lucky we are southwest facing so get the sun all afternoon and evening. Forum Bbq at my house :lol:

SDC10737.jpg

as promised the well i fell into. we didn't know it was there it was covered in ply wood soil.. plastic and pebbles so ive damaged my back and got whiplash. All fun fun fun in this house hold

OHHHH SO MUCH POTENCIAL THERE!!! omg im so jealous, i want a garden *sobs until someone gives me one* hehe, i have to settle for an indoor garden but im gonna be putting in a water garden soon :)

• 1 month later...

Pfffffffft! I'm so jealous too!

I used to LOVE my garden, i'd be out in it for a good 12 hours on a sunny sunday sifting, weeding, watering.....blaah blaaah.

It's very theraputic, and when all the flowers bloom, they bring colour and a happy feeling - I adore flowers!

Why not post pictures of your gardens.....it may inspire others! :)

• 1 month later...

I've just been out in our garden and taken some photos of our flowers - our cat managed to get herself in this one - the cheeky monkey! We don't smoke in the house so this is where I sit when I'm having a ciggie and a cup of coffee and have a chat with any of the neighbours that are about. The tree on the left side of the photo is an olive tree which we have only had for about 3 months and there is lots of new growth on it already and we are hoping that we will get at least one edible olive from it. The tree on the other side is an Acer which changes colour during the year.

Archived